Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Erratic and Random Parking Brake Warning on 2016 Grand Tour

I have a 2016 Grand Tour. On our current trip an erractic and unpredictable alarm from the the Light Control Bar Unit (LCBU)kept coming on related to the Parking Brake warning. What was also weird was that the backlight for the display would flash on/off every time the Parking Brake icon would flash and the beeper "beeped". I checked the Parking Brake switch and it seems to be fine. I then called FCCC tech help and he thought it was a grounding issue. I checked all grounds that I could find and tighten everything.

I still had the random problem while driving or sometimes just sitting still while in gear. I thought the LCBU might have a short so I checked the connections and pressed on the face of the LCBU. Then I noticed that if I put my hand near the LCBU the problem stopped. I called the FCCC tech again to see if there might be a photo sensor or something on that display. The tech mentioned that there might be a "Coach" installed starter lockout connection causing the issue. Then I thought about what I was doing different to stop the issue...and realized they every time I leaned forward off the lumbar part of the seat the issue stopped (I was leaning forward when I would put my hand near the LCBU on the dash.

This evening I was at a campground and looked under the seat and saw a very loose connection on my lumbar switch for the seat. For some reason that "lumbar" switch has 4 wires connected to it. I pressed the blue wire (loose connection) into the switch so I'll see if that fixed it when we travel again on Friday.

Any ideas as to why a Lumbar connection would trigger a Parking Brake warning??

By leaning forward and backward on the lumbar section of the drivers seat it really seemed to be creating and solving the problem.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. I do plan to call Winnebago tech support tomorrow.Attachment 262107
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191001_212630_HDR.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	172284  
tdjackson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

I'll go out on a limb here and it'll sound pretty stupid, but maybe it's almost the same (doesn't shut engine off though) as when your riding lawn mower (tractor) shuts off when you get out of the seat. So, If I'm on my riding lawn mower when the motor is running, and I lean extensively (the bulk of my weight shifts away from the center of the seat) to one side, the motor will shut off. Maybe some RV's have a similar mechanism, where it'll start to beep and light up things.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The same was happening to me when driving but the problem was the return spring on the brake lever was not adjusted correctly and it would drop down enough to trip the micro switch causing the light.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The mower seat is a safety item to keep people from getting off to clear something out of the chute while the blade is running. My neighbor donated a couple fingers as he had modified his to avoid the problem!
The question of random lights and connections which don't seem to be involved may be a factor of the way newer electronics are using more and more integrated circuits. perhaps? It may be something that involves the way chips make decisions and count. We call them ones and zeros but they are often voltage or no voltage inputs to the chip. Just guessing but it may be something like when the chip gets three ones and one zero, it turns on one light but if it gets two ones and two zeros it turns on another light. That might leave a loose wire on the seat changing the count and turning on the wrong light!
Not worked on either the seat nor the light but that is easy enough for me to see how the two might be connected as it happens pretty often in other electronics.
The old bus in just not mechanical any more!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The mower seat is a safety item to keep people from getting off to clear something out of the chute while the blade is running. My neighbor donated a couple fingers as he had modified his to avoid the problem!
The question of random lights and connections which don't seem to be involved may be a factor of the way newer electronics are using more and more integrated circuits. perhaps? It may be something that involves the way chips make decisions and count. We call them ones and zeros but they are often voltage or no voltage inputs to the chip. Just guessing but it may be something like when the chip gets three ones and one zero, it turns on one light but if it gets two ones and two zeros it turns on another light. That might leave a loose wire on the seat changing the count and turning on the wrong light!
Not worked on either the seat nor the light but that is easy enough for me to see how the two might be connected as it happens pretty often in other electronics.
The old bus in just not mechanical any more!
Hmm. Like you I was just guessing. And yes, I was aware it was for safety reasons. Just thinking outside the box. lol
Old 02-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Guessing gets a bad rap at times! If we were more "upscale" we might have a better sounding name like theory or something better paying? It's all a guess until we can actually lay a hand on it and say we fixed it, it just gets down to how far out versus how well educated the guess turns out to be.
Enjoy as it will never all be fixed!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Guessing gets a bad rap at times! If we were more "upscale" we might have a better sounding name like theory or something better paying? It's all a guess until we can actually lay a hand on it and say we fixed it, it just gets down to how far out versus how well educated the guess turns out to be.
Enjoy as it will never all be fixed!
True. After all Humans are imperfect beings, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Tags
brake