Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sliding Pantry issue 2020 Vista 29V

We just purchased and took our maiden voyage in our Vista 29V. Quite a pleasant trip, over 3,000 miles and 14 days.

However, on the next to last day, the pantry slid out on a rough stretch of I-40 W near Flagstaff, AZ. It broke the slides, and as a result the latch as well.

I took a look at the pantry slide out, behind the dinette and before the bathroom. It has only 2 drawer slides on one side. I looked at the Winnebago parts manual (online CAD) and for all the 2020 serial numbers (ours included) it shows the pantry with 2 drawer slides on the side and one on the bottom of the pantry in the middle. Ours does not have this bottom drawer slide, but has wood where the slide should be.

Possible that Winnebago left it out during manufacture? It is clear from the design that 2 on the side are not sufficient to support the loading of the pantry.

Anybody able to check this on their Vista or Intent 29?
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I might throw in some ideas on how loading may effect the way it slides out.
We have found that we get better use if we don't put heavy things up high. When cornering, the higher things are, the more pressure it gives things like drawers to slide out. If you think of how a vehicle tilts when cornering, the top moves much more than the bottom and that movement makes it more likely to pop open if there are heavy things higher.
Not part of the main question but we find it worthwhile to stock drawers, etc. a bit different than we might at home. Rather than stocking to be the most convenient to reach while cooking, we now have canned goods, soda, and things like a sack of flour or glass jars placed down low and in storage which doesn't move so easy.
The problem with latches is that it is a fine line between us getting them open easy and them sliding out too often when moving.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
Site Team

We're in an older rv but we ended up putting child safety locks that we connect when we are traveling. We had a slide come out about 5 mile from home and rip the bottom out of the cabinet. We ended up replacing with a piece of plywood but after that always securely lock the cabinets before moving.

They are like this. https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Cu...185497&sr=8-62
Old 06-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have a 2017 (first of the 29VE I believe) and we have top and bottom like you do on the side that is toward the front of the motorhome (one side). I've not had a problem but not loaded heavily. Our Flagstaff trip we avoided the 40 because of the heavy trucks tend to make that road rough.

We also put a slide out pantry next to the fridge - works out nice as those cabinets are deep. That slide is much smaller and has the slides on the bottom (both side). So far it has not opened (I put the latch back not the top of the door face) but it is lightly loaded too.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
2017 Vista 29ve

We put a sliding latch on ours 29ve that keeps it shut during travel.

Otherwise it would always open on c;over;eaf exits.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
We just purchased and took our maiden voyage in our Vista 29V. Quite a pleasant trip, over 3,000 miles and 14 days.

However, on the next to last day, the pantry slid out on a rough stretch of I-40 W near Flagstaff, AZ. It broke the slides, and as a result the latch as well.

I took a look at the pantry slide out, behind the dinette and before the bathroom. It has only 2 drawer slides on one side. I looked at the Winnebago parts manual (online CAD) and for all the 2020 serial numbers (ours included) it shows the pantry with 2 drawer slides on the side and one on the bottom of the pantry in the middle. Ours does not have this bottom drawer slide, but has wood where the slide should be.

Possible that Winnebago left it out during manufacture? It is clear from the design that 2 on the side are not sufficient to support the loading of the pantry.

I would not be surprised. Quality control does not exist at Winnebago for many years now. I would go to the dealer or Forest City and have them correct the problem. Insist that it be installed as per the build model.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I would not be surprised. Quality control does not exist at Winnebago for many years now. I would go to the dealer or Forest City and have them correct the problem. Insist that it be installed as per the build model.
Right now there is a serious backlog at Dealers for Warranty, and we bought in OH, but live in CA, so we would be at the end of the line.

I've ordered new heavy duty drawer slides, and higher force latches, and will do the work myself. I trust my craftsmanship more than I do others, because it is my stuff. Luckily I have the knowledge and tools to make it better than the original design, and certainly the poor execution.

I believe the lower slide is essential to making this system work, I just hope that it will come out in the end. I'm going to install it on Sunday, so I'll post a couple of pictures and updates on progress.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 29VE and I have 2 slides on the front side of the cabinet and 1 slide on the bottom middle of the cabinet. FWIW, ours is very hard to pull out and I can't imagine that it would ever open on its own. Perhaps the lower slide being there makes the catch work better.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post

Nobody with your same model has yet to weigh in, but seems like you’ve done your homework. If another person with your same RV did weigh in and said that they too do not have the bottom mount, would mean that it is not supposed to be there? Our could it just mean that both of your rigs had that left out.
What we need is what you’ve asked for. Somebody with your rig that does have the lower rail.

In case it isn’t supposed to have a lower rail, then the weight redistribution offered seems like your only way around this.

It’s happened to us, so I added locking latches as well, as seen here...
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...nt-356824.html
Old 08-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Nobody with your same model has yet to weigh in, but seems like you’ve done your homework. If another person with your same RV did weigh in and said that they too do not have the bottom mount, would mean that it is not supposed to be there? Our could it just mean that both of your rigs had that left out.
What we need is what you’ve asked for. Somebody with your rig that does have the lower rail.

In case it isn’t supposed to have a lower rail, then the weight redistribution offered seems like your only way around this.

I ordered some 10lb latches, and some heavy duty slides, same thickness, just wider, so no impact on the install.

When I started putting it back together, I noticed that there were holes in the bottom, exactly lining up with the old slide. My wife mentioned that when we picked it up at the dealer that they said they were fixing the pantry. When I put it back in, the pantry didn't slide back in without a very strong push, and some wearing of the wood on the bottom. So it was installed improperly at the factory, and "fixed" at the dealer, which caused major problems later.

Very frustrated, but It is now better than new.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

I have the same model, and same problem. 2 left slides have ball bearings missing and bottom slide bent. Called winnie for parts and they don't sell those parts directly anymore, call your dealer! I am second owner so I need to address more secure means of staying closed also.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
I have the same model, and same problem. 2 left slides have ball bearings missing and bottom slide bent. Called winnie for parts and they don't sell those parts directly anymore, call your dealer! I am second owner so I need to address more secure means of staying closed also.
I bought these from Amazon, they are a bit more stout than the OEM, but work well.

TCH Hardware 26" Inch 100 LB Steel Full Extension Ball Bearing Drawer Slides - Kitchen Cabinet Desk Draw

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought some more latches, and you can get them in different pound pull ratings. I believe 5 lb, 10 lb, and 20 lb.

Southco C3-810 Series Passivated Plastic Grabber Catch Side Mount Concealed Push-To-Close Latch with Black Spring, 44N Pullup, Black (Pack of 4)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

San Francisco Bay Area
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Upgrade 29ve

Sundog, I replaced the side and bottom slides with those heavier duty pieces. Thank you, better , more sturdier movement.!
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Sundog, I replaced the side and bottom slides with those heavier duty pieces. Thank you, better , more sturdier movement.!
Absolutely. Forums like this make ownership of our toys so much more fun.

I'm also the owner of an older Porsche, and another site helped me convert it to a track beast.

San Francisco Bay Area
Old 09-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #15

How to properly align your pantry slide

I paid Winnebago, Forest City, IA $200 to fix my pantry slide and they did such a poor job I had to take the pantry slide apart and redo the job myself.

I then asked Winnebago to refund my money and they did!

And then I shared with Winnebago my method for properly aligning the pantry slides so the face of your pantry door closes tight and flush!

Just download the attached .pdf and you to can fix your fallen pantry like I did in about 1-2 hours.

Note: The only place I found a slide with a 2" release tab sticking out on the end was at Winnebago and they wanted ~$100 for it. (Highway robbery.) Otherwise you can use slides from HD, but you need to come up with your own slide-stop mechanism. ...Personally, I don't like the looks of the makeshift slide-stops so I paid the $100 to get the 2" tab that pokes though the pantry wood face. ...

...But if you install it right you can use the "Push-lock" type slides from HD or Lowe's (2 for $25).

Good luck.

Attached: .pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_143007.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	175084   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190606_105459.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	175085  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_101917.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	175086   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_145705.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	175087  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf PANTRY DOOR ALIGNMENT & HINGE FIX (PDF).pdf (978.3 KB, 32 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote