Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2023, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacement 12 volt light bulb for bedroom

Hello.

We have a new to us 2008 Winnebago Voyage.

A 12 volt lightbulb in the bedroom just went dead.

There are no numbers anywhere on the bulb to identify it for ordering a replacement.

Are replacement bulbs something rv dealers stock or do we get them from Winnebago?

We are camping near Brookeland, Texas.

Thank you.
PrairieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There's no need to buy from a high-priced RV dealer. These are ordinary automotive bulbs.
Is this round glass with brass base? If so, it will have opposing prongs on the brass base at the same distance from the end. Commonly used for backup lights.( numbers 1156 or 1157). If yours are wedge-base, Amazon has them too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Assuming this is just an overhead light, I would never go back with incandescent.
LED has several advantages. Less heat, less power used from batteries, far brighter light for less watts. and they last far longer!
Most Rv bulbs now have the same base available in LED, so the swap is super simple--once we decide what we like.

That choice can be tricky, though as there are so many options which we don't have in older bulbs. Older bulbs we get orange or more orange as choices but in LED we get anything we want from orange to super bright blue that can be like hospital lighting!

I find the only way to get exactly what my wife and I like is to start with some and adjust as we find we like it.
Kelvin is the magic thing for choosing colors. The 3200 Kelvin is on the orange side with 5500 being pretty close to blue!
We like getting them from E-bay due to the far larger variety available. But I avoid those that ship from outside the country as the price is not my main driver.

If not wanting to wait and price is not that big, walking in to auto parts may find a good choice.
One big point is if it is a bulb that can be put in backwards? The odds should be 50/50 but it works more like 30/70 for me adding it backwards and having to turn it around!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have the older round base automotive-style bulbs, I recommend a paddle-style LED replacement. If you have the plug in style bulb type 194 these are the ones you want.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Well, Brookeland, Texas is pretty far from anywhere to get RV parts for a quick fix. To tide you over can you move a bulb from some other fixture that isn’t needed as much as as a bedroom light until you get somewhere with RV parts stores?

It can help to take the burned out bulb into an RV parts store to find similar style bulbs. And changing out old bulbs to LED is a good idea but you still need to know what you’ve got to know the best LED replacement.

There are zillions of different bulbs used in RVs but you’ll find that most of them are not all that uncommon once you can compare it to others on a rack in a well stocked RV parts store.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The bulb has a silver colored base. There are no numbers anywhere on the bulb that I could find. It is not incadescent. It is covered by small yellow and white squares. We saw what looks the same on-line thru Walmart - 10 for $10. They have to be ordered. We are thinking of placing an order for pick-up the day we leave Brookeland.

Has anyone bought these bulbs from Walmart? Did they fit? Thank you.
PrairieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 04:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
The bulb has a silver colored base. There are no numbers anywhere on the bulb that I could find. It is not incadescent. It is covered by small yellow and white squares. We saw what looks the same on-line thru Walmart - 10 for $10. They have to be ordered. We are thinking of placing an order for pick-up the day we leave Brookeland.

Has anyone bought these bulbs from Walmart? Did they fit? Thank you.
That is an LED.

WM should still sell them in the automotive section. Probably an 1156 replacement will fit.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

RV repair always depends on how motivated we are to fix things?

So when I look at the location, it doesn't seem 15-20 miles would be out of reason to shop in person as there are Napa, Wal-Mart, Auto Zone and possibly more just down the road!
Rather than sweat too much over something fitting that I have ordered, I walk it in and see it fits before buying!

This gets close to being in the comedy zone when changing the light bulb is too tough!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Little squares sounds like a LED bulb

Does it have one or 2 silver contacts on the bottom of the bulb?

Does it look like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

For me, that one was the strangest bulb in my bedroom. The others were more standard bulbs that you could steal from a compartment light.

-Brian
Old 12-10-2023, 04:16 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Check out www.m4products.com They specialized in many applications of 12V LED bulbs. I think I've replaced just about all my original bulbs with their LED versions. Very quick delivery via USPS.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Bedroom bulbs

It's a 1076 bulb. Don't mistakenly use tail light bulbs in the fixture such as 1156, it is not the correct bulb. Brian G is correct.
DonaldMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 06:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Replacement 12 volt light bulb for bedroom

Hello.

Thank all of you for your help.

I went to Walmart Auto Care department to look for bulbs.

I showed the guy behind the counter the bulb I was looking for and told him it was to replace a bulb in our motorhome.

He took me around the corner to their RV section. They did not have the bulb that I have (see attached photo) but they had other 1156 bulbs.

We bought a package of 2 x 6000k 1156 Sylvania Automotive "For Off Road Use Only" bulbs (see attached photo) for $15.

They fit. They work. My wife is pleased with the improved lighting therefore I am pleased.

Again. Thank all of you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231212_070013.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	188057   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231212_070709.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	188058  

Tags