Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Upgrade Rear Camera in Vista LX 36Y

Hello There, We have a 2016 Winnebago 36Y Vista LX and I want to upgrade the rear camera. My current camera just shows the flat tow system and the tow car. I would like a wider view camera that will show the tow system, tow car and further down the road so I can see what's coming up behind me. I can't seem to find the brand / type of my current camera so not even sure what type of camera I should be looking for. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to replace existing camera. Not really looking for a second camera and display screen - would like to keep the current setup with better rear camera.

Thanks for you thoughts.
jamesdbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi James,
I have referred several folks to this shop, and so far with no complaints:
https://www.rvcams.com/
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 12-08-2023, 03:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Doesn't the display screen have a brand name or logo on it? They usually do. Or remove the dash cowl and check the backside. Mine says "Sony" on the front. They also provided the camera and when I pulled it out a few years ago it has the typical video output and it has a mic so the cable is multifunction. My monitor also has a bonus video input for a 2nd camera.

You might be able to find a nice replacement as they were available as drop-in systems back in 2018 last I checked.

Back then I didn't like the $300 price tag and investigated universal monitors and cameras...in color with IR for night driving. Never got around to getting a setup but they were available back then. Would have required modifying the dash and I didn't have the tools.

Here's a really cool one! Quad Split Color monitor

I see it'll just fit my RV dash too! And only $75.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Typically these cameras advertise thei field of view in degrees of width. I've never seen one with the display rated for vertical field of view.
Like Jim Hytek alluded to, just get a 2nd camera and mount it tilted upwards more beside the present camera.
I never try to look at the rear camera to see the lanes behind me before changing lanes, that's why I have the huge outside mirrors.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks For the replay I'll give them a call.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply, comments and link to the quad camera system - looks good wonder how good they are - price seems too good.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply and comments. Many years driving and of course using my mirrors - just thought it would be nice to see what's coming up behind me when lane changing.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdbetts View Post
Thanks for the reply, comments and link to the quad camera system - looks good wonder how good they are - price seems too good.
Just consider that the price, if it lasts just one year, and with modern electronic designs and quality since nearly everything is made with robots these days, that's only $6.25/mo of driving, if you drive every month. And considering you likely don't drive for months at a time, that's going to be years before it fails. If ever.

For instance, I get a low cost 7" color Xgody GPS ($70) every couple years, they're so inexpensive it's worth not having to bother with map upgrades. BTW, it's a GPS that uses standard GPS maps that are user sourced and because there are millions of mapping fans and other fans that love to send in corrections, it's nearly always up to date, even after a couple years. It also has a bus setting.

Since I've been in the industry for 50 odd years and have experience seeing electronic products drop in price over time (economy of scale and competition) I have no qualms about buying low cost electronic devices. But I do pay attention to the buyer's reviews where available.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, upgrade