Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

power to dishwasher and washing machine

trying to winterize our 2015 Itasca 42qd. both dishwasher and washer wouldn't start on house battery's or with generator running.

Does this sound right?

then plugged unit in to 20 amp and dishwasher started but no washer?

is there something I am doing wrong? does inverter have to be set up a certain way for these to operate?
shane4golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can find the wiring diagrams for your coach here:
42QD (Serial Number begins with 70R96T1)
42QD (Serial Number begins with 70R96T2)
Once you've picked the correct link (above) based on your coach Serial Number, take a look at the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation Diagram and the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch diagram.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane4golf View Post
trying to winterize our 2015 Itasca 42qd. both dishwasher and washer wouldn't start on house battery's or with generator running.
Of course, those are all 110v appliances and would not be able to run off of battery power which is 12v.

As, too the other times when running the generator and when plugged into 15-amp at home that's most likely a function of your PCS. The PCS controls all of your 110v loads and sheds high amperage devices when you are on less than 50-amp service. It's likely that the PCS has shed those items. You can scroll through the readings on the PCS monitor to see exactly what's been shed and what hasn't.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks for all your help guys. these are very helpful. we bought this unit used and the dealer was pretty much here you go not sure how it works.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Some suggestions and some questions to clear what the situation might be?

For best understanding of what to expect, did you get a big folder of info with lots of manuals for the RV? If so, doing a look there on what to expect on the inverter will be a good start. Not always the most complete and many things not clear but a general good place to start.

If not on hand/missing a look online for the owners manual is needed as a starter and maybe a place to find out how much one DOES NOT know about a new RV. It's normal!
The problem is that things keep changing and every RV is a bit different, so the manual is looked at as a start for many.

Then on the electrical questions, is this a DIY (if possible) or looking for places to referr others to for fix?

If going DIY, knowing exactly which serial number to look at is good, just to avoid confusion, but there are some basic things that could be checked if you are set up with a meter to test voltage.

When not having a shore power connection for full 30 amp service, I would start with making sure you are getting full service from the generator by checking at the transfer switch.

Looking at this drawing, the idea is that the cord or the genrator will both provide the same power when the cord is plugged to the right full power and then the transfer switch chooses which to use, cord or gen. and passed that through and on to other equipment.

I would first want to check the two connections at the transfer switch with the generator running to see 110AC at both connections as it leaves the switch.

I'm not familiar with the EMS module, etc but looking at this drawing, I do not feel either washer will involve the inverter, so on or off is not a factor.

That is open to change if others who know this system say different!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ats.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	181275  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Does this sound right?

then plugged unit in to 20 amp and dishwasher started but no washer?

is there something I am doing wrong? does inverter have to be set up a certain way for these to operate?
I'm thinking your EMS is at play here. Look at your OnePlace and see if you have loads shed. Turn off the electric water heater to drop that load. Adjust your inverter to 5A shore power. This will help. You could even shut the charging portion of the inverter off temporally. The EMS will shed loads in a predetermined order. It will not let you draw any more than 20A. And, you must chose 20A over 30A, if I recall correctly, when on 20A service. I do hope you are on a 20A circuit and not a 15A. Some folks miss the importance of this distinction.
After a bit more looking I found this: https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_184774.pdf (last page)

I don't see the washer on the inverter. The Galley is on the inverter.

For the failure of the generator, look into the ATS. Open it it up and physically tighten ALL the connections. Make certain you are unplugged from the shore power and the generator is off and the breaker on it is off (just to be safe).
These are my best guesses. Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

They should not work on house batteries, your inverter will not be powerful enough to support that. They should work on generator, I wonder of the breaker right on the generator is open? I have had that happen before, I would suggest you pull the generator out and check it first. If it is closed, then my next guess would be the automatic transfer switch is not kicking over to generator.
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

so I plugged in the washer directly to an extension cord to my home and didnt boot up. doing research i believe there is a surge protector on it and might have gone out. have to pull out washer and do some testing.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
so I plugged in the washer directly to an extension cord to my home and didnt boot up. doing research i believe there is a surge protector on it and might have gone out. have to pull out washer and do some testing.
Shane, let's take a pause here. Please step back and look at this situation as I see it. You are having a problem with your washing machine only.

My first thought is that you may have plugged the dryer into the extension cord and not the washer. It is tight behind the machines and easy to get the cords confused. Second is that the extension cord is defective. Third, no power from the outlet.

When plugged in, the washer control panel should light up when you press the power button. If you are getting good power to the machine you have a problem with it and it alone.

There is a phone # label on the machine for parts and support. Call these folks and they will guide you to troubleshooting.

I built a platform, including 2x4 skids, to slide the washer onto when I need to repair it. Getting the dryer off first is a bit of a challenge the first time you do it. Remove the enclosure door and catch hardware from the frame. Remove all the bracket screws from the back and front (Pull the kick plates off both units.) and use a pry bar to lift the dryer over the front bracket. Once froward some, you can get better access to the vent pipe. There is a screw protruding from the bottom of the dryer that hangs up when you are trying to get it out. Work the unit forward until you can tip it. When it won't come forward lift slightly from the right side bottom to free the screw. The dryer is relatively light. My wife and I can handle it.

The washer is heavy and this is where the platform comes in handy. Slide it out onto the platform and pull it on the skids away from the closet to gain workable access.

Good luck.
Rick
Old 11-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rick. yeah I flip floped dryer and washer just to make sure, but I didnt even think about calling the service number. great idea on the skids that will be a major back saver.

Tags
dish, power