Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I have been using CRC Power Lube with PTFE: CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 16 oz. (Net weight: 11 oz) Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

This is a dry lube but the Teflon (PTFE) protects and lubes the rack and pinion just fine.

Rick,
Does your MH have the Powergear slides? or Schwintek? Ours is the Powerglide, I'm assuming yours is the same since you have a 2011 as well.
Also, I've been cleaning the MH all day and restocking. Ran across some black stains on the ceiling from the slide locks. Any ideas on what to use to remove those?

Thanks
Rob
Newbie31ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie31ul View Post
I have been using CRC Power Lube with PTFE: CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 16 oz. (Net weight: 11 oz) Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

This is a dry lube but the Teflon (PTFE) protects and lubes the rack and pinion just fine.

Rick,
Does your MH have the Powergear slides? or Schwintek? Ours is the Powerglide, I'm assuming yours is the same since you have a 2011 as well.
Also, I've been cleaning the MH all day and restocking. Ran across some black stains on the ceiling from the slide locks. Any ideas on what to use to remove those?

Thanks
Rob
Good question. I have one also (not real bad) and haven't cleaned it yet until I find out which cleaner and procedure to use.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Newbie31ul, interesting that you do not have a DEF tank, whereas mine does have one and it's the same model year. 2010 was about the time that DEF was mandated for diesels, so you must have got an older Freightliner chassis that was pre-DEF. I wish I didn't have to worry about DEF. The DEF tank is on the wrong side of the coach for the DEF pumps at truck stops.
A note to PackerPower if you read this message -- I wonder if your lack of an economy mode on your shifter pad is because you have an older Freightliner chassis than mine. Do you have DEF?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Newbie31ul, interesting that you do not have a DEF tank, whereas mine does have one and it's the same model year. 2010 was about the time that DEF was mandated for diesels, so you must have got an older Freightliner chassis that was pre-DEF. I wish I didn't have to worry about DEF. The DEF tank is on the wrong side of the coach for the DEF pumps at truck stops.
A note to PackerPower if you read this message -- I wonder if your lack of an economy mode on your shifter pad is because you have an older Freightliner chassis than mine. Do you have DEF?
Algonquin,
The dealer figured I had a 2010 Freightliner chassis on my 2011 Itasca, so no DEF tank. I'm kinda glad I don't have it either, sounds like a PITA

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yes, I have DEF
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Rick,

Thanks
Rob
Powergear, Rob. But this stuff is great for any of the coaches with gear drives. Use it on your steps, hinges, electrical connections... Just sprayed my generator connector contacts yesterday. Worked great after. Intermittent before.

The stains may be black mold. Try white vinegar. It is the only certain way to kill mold and it is harmless to the material. The smell fades quickly. Rinse after an hour or so.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Algonquin,
The dealer figured I had a 2010 Freightliner chassis on my 2011 Itasca, so no DEF tank. I'm kinda glad I don't have it either, sounds like a PITA

Thanks for the responses.
I'm on a 2010 chassis but it was produced after the DEF production date. This is one of the first with DEf out the door. No problems. Better HP, 380 vs 360. I think I have the numbers correct.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Powergear, Rob. But this stuff is great for any of the coaches with gear drives. Use it on your steps, hinges, electrical connections... Just sprayed my generator connector contacts yesterday. Worked great after. Intermittent before.

The stains may be black mold. Try white vinegar. It is the only certain way to kill mold and it is harmless to the material. The smell fades quickly. Rinse after an hour or so.
Thanks Rick,
It's definitely not mold, it's sort of oily, right above all the boxes for the slide locks. I might try some 409 or Fantastik. Somebody else suggested the Magic eraser. I'm just not sure yet.
Also, found some Ants in the coach. I'm going to have to find some spray or traps to place while it's stored.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Ok, next problem. I had asked about the tires while we were negotiating the price of the MH. The salesman assured me that the previous owner had replaced the tires about a year ago. Stupid me didn't look at the DOT codes, I forgot my first rule, NEVER trust the salesman! The DOT codes say the tires were manufactured in 2010. Obviously the original tires. After the mediocre walk through and now the tires, I"m wondering what else I was lied to about...I've thought about going to talk the the GM at the dealership and complain, but figure that would be wasting time since they already have my money in hand.
So, going on the DOT codes, the tires are 6 years old on my 2011 MH. How long before I should replace them? They look good, good tread, no cracking.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Do you have Michelin XRV tires? Mine cracked in less than 4 years and I replaced them with Bridgestones. The consensus on this forum seems to be that tires should be replaced after 6 years.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Do you have Michelin XRV tires? Mine cracked in less than 4 years and I replaced them with Bridgestones. The consensus on this forum seems to be that tires should be replaced after 6 years.
Yes. They are the Michelin XRV. But i don't see any cracks. Also I can only find the DOT code on the front passenger tire. The others must be mounted on the inside. From what I read, the DOT number is only on one side of the tire. But I will assume they are all the original tires.

Also, I tried out the mode button on the Allison transmission today. Ours has the economy mode. It works. Thanks for that info, I would have never known.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yes. They are the Michelin XRV. But i don't see any cracks. Also I can only find the DOT code on the front passenger tire. The others must be mounted on the inside. From what I read, the DOT number is only on one side of the tire. But I will assume they are all the original tires.

Also, I tried out the mode button on the Allison transmission today. Ours has the economy mode. It works. Thanks for that info, I would have never known.
Newbie, sorry to hear you were lied to on the tires, that will be a major upcoming expense. We have 2010 Michelin XRV tires on ours, tread and sidewalls look fine, plan to replace tires next year. What I've read confirms Algonquin, 6 - 7 years tire life, but there are a LOT of opinions on brands and the extent of Michelin sidewall cracking issues. I have yet to hear however if the cracking is widespread, or only occurring on a small percentage of their tires. My coach was stored indoors by previous owner (also from Wisconsin), so it probably helps that the tires were not exposed to prolonged durations of heat and UV.

It's great to hear you're making progress, hope you can get out camping soon to try out all the systems in real world scenarios! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress please.

PS: Algonquin, our coach is on a 2011 Freightliner XC chassis, and was manufactured at Winnebago in October 2010. Maybe they stopped using the Economy option shift pad after yours and Newbies were built? It is an Arens SBW pad, no Economy mode, but it apparently can be upgraded. Freightliner guy I spoke with says it makes very little difference in mileage, just a bit different shift pattern - he didn't think it was worth the expense or hassle to change it out.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick,
It's definitely not mold, it's sort of oily, right above all the boxes for the slide locks. I might try some 409 or Fantastik. Somebody else suggested the Magic eraser. I'm just not sure yet.
Also, found some Ants in the coach. I'm going to have to find some spray or traps to place while it's stored.
That is strange. I wonder if someone sprayed some lube on it and it splattered on the ceiling. Be careful with what you use. You don't want to damage the vinyl. Try a solution of Dawn. Works on oiled ducks.

We had a problem with ants. They came in with one of DW's plants. We put out some of those traps out with liquid in them. Took care of the problem. You might consider sprinkling boric acid over the area you are going to park on. Ants can't survive this stuff.

Hope you get things figured out. Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I talked with the GM at the dealer about some of my concerns. (mainly the old tires, dirty RV, mediocre walk through). He is supposed to get back to me tomorrow and let me know what they can do. I originally wasn't going to say anything, but then said, What the hell, what do I have to lose. Either they will try to make it right or not. Either way I'm not out anything for asking.
On a side note, I was up on the roof and noticed the sensar antennae was mangled. (at least I think it's a sensar, it's a manual crank up style) Any suggestions for replacement? I can see how that could happen easily by forgetting to put it down. I would like to do the install myself and hope for something easy to install.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

PackerPower, it seems that your Journey and my Meridian are not as similar as I had assumed. My coach was manufactured in November 2010 and I have the Allison Gen IV shifter. I believe the economy mode does make a significant difference, but it may not make economic sense to implement it, if that can be done at all.
Without the mode on, the transmission doesn't shift into 6th gear until about 62 mph, so if you are driving slower you will be in 5th and the engine will be revving higher. I have caught myself several times running in 5th when I forgot to push the mode button. I always push the mode button when I start the engine -- except when I forget!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I talked with the GM at the dealer about some of my concerns. (mainly the old tires, dirty RV, mediocre walk through). He is supposed to get back to me tomorrow and let me know what they can do. I originally wasn't going to say anything, but then said, What the hell, what do I have to lose. Either they will try to make it right or not. Either way I'm not out anything for asking.
On a side note, I was up on the roof and noticed the sensar antennae was mangled. (at least I think it's a sensar, it's a manual crank up style) Any suggestions for replacement? I can see how that could happen easily by forgetting to put it down. I would like to do the install myself and hope for something easy to install.
Thanks.
My suggestion, Rob, is to have the dealer replace the TV antenna. You have enough gripes against them. Why should you pick up the expense? While you are at it, do a very closeup inspection of your roof edge seam. The caulking here MUST be tight and clean, continuous with no gaps. If it is deteriorated have them clean out the old stuff and recaulk with what Winnebago recommends. You have a sealant call-out list in your owners bag. Take the time to review all of this material, even the Cummins and Allison manuals.

Thank you for standing up to the dealer. Posting a review about them in the local Yelp or some other rating forum is always helpful. The crazy thing about this is either the dealer gets the message and improves, thus getting more business, or they suffer and loose other potential buyers who now no better than to shop there.

Keep us posted.

Rick Y
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
My suggestion, Rob, is to have the dealer replace the TV antenna. You have enough gripes against them. Why should you pick up the expense? While you are at it, do a very closeup inspection of your roof edge seam. The caulking here MUST be tight and clean, continuous with no gaps. If it is deteriorated have them clean out the old stuff and recaulk with what Winnebago recommends. You have a sealant call-out list in your owners bag. Take the time to review all of this material, even the Cummins and Allison manuals.

Thank you for standing up to the dealer. Posting a review about them in the local Yelp or some other rating forum is always helpful. The crazy thing about this is either the dealer gets the message and improves, thus getting more business, or they suffer and loose other potential buyers who now no better than to shop there.

Keep us posted.

Rick Y
Thanks Rick for all the suggestions. I've only been RVing for a year now, but still am a newbie. This forum has been very helpful. Supposedly they inspected the roof during the PDI, but I have to take it in tomorrow for them to look at the leveling jacks. They aren't retracting fully and the light is staying on, on the dash. That was also supposed to be part of the PDI. They normally charge $995 for that, but I negotiated that into the deal. So, did they do as thorough of a check since I didn't pay for it? Who's to say?
Any suggestions of what kind on antenna to replace the old one with? Should I just stay with the old crank up style? I found one on Amazon for $42. Or do people like the king jack model that is stationary? Questions, questions. Lol The Rayzar is just too expensive and has received mixed reviews.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

And thanks to everybody else for their suggestions and tips. This is a great forum, great information and very helpful people.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
PackerPower, it seems that your Journey and my Meridian are not as similar as I had assumed. My coach was manufactured in November 2010 and I have the Allison Gen IV shifter. I believe the economy mode does make a significant difference, but it may not make economic sense to implement it, if that can be done at all.
Without the mode on, the transmission doesn't shift into 6th gear until about 62 mph, so if you are driving slower you will be in 5th and the engine will be revving higher. I have caught myself several times running in 5th when I forgot to push the mode button. I always push the mode button when I start the engine -- except when I forget!
Thanks Algonquin!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks Rick for all the suggestions. I've only been RVing for a year now, but still am a newbie. This forum has been very helpful. Supposedly they inspected the roof during the PDI, but I have to take it in tomorrow for them to look at the leveling jacks. They aren't retracting fully and the light is staying on, on the dash. That was also supposed to be part of the PDI. They normally charge $995 for that, but I negotiated that into the deal. So, did they do as thorough of a check since I didn't pay for it? Who's to say?
Any suggestions of what kind on antenna to replace the old one with? Should I just stay with the old crank up style? I found one on Amazon for $42. Or do people like the king jack model that is stationary? Questions, questions. Lol The Rayzar is just too expensive and has received mixed reviews.
Jack retraction can be problematic with this coach, the previous owner of ours had a service note that the retraction springs were replaced with "stiffer" springs at Camping World. I still have had some issues, but nothing a steel pry bar couldn't fix I carefully read the manuals regarding maintenance, and have now been using T9 on them to help improve retraction. Sorry I don't have any advice regarding the antennae, other than to agree to hold the dealer responsible for replacement cost. Even though you appear to have your hands full, you might also want to take the coach to a Freightliner service facility and have them do the full 30k service and checkup - download the document here: https://secure.freightliner.com/newb...0manual.pdf#18. Then, I would take it to a truck tire shop and have the tires inspected and rotated properly before heading anywhere far.

Tags
itasca