Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to us 2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y

Hello everybody. We have just upgraded to diesel. We traded in our gasser 2015 Jayco Precept 31ul on a used 2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y with 24,000 miles. We are very excited to join the diesel world of motorhoming. It was a tough decision between buying the Forza 34t brand new or this used motorhome. We decided to save a little money and go used for the first diesel. I'm hoping we wont be disappointed. I've been avidly reading the Winneabago forums to answer any questions I've had. We have our walk through and pick up the motorhome this Saturday. Looking forward to our first trip in it at the end of April.
Newbie31ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Congrats and welcome guys! I think you'll have a bit more towing capacity with the Meridian as well. We also bought used although a much older coach but fantastically maintained. We've been in love ever since...

We wish you best of luck and let the great memories begin! Happy Camping!
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Congrats and welcome guys! I think you'll have a bit more towing capacity with the Meridian as well. We also bought used although a much older coach but fantastically maintained. We've been in love ever since...

We wish you best of luck and let the great memories begin! Happy Camping!
Thanks Mr Miyagi,
Ours was very well maintained too, it looks almost brand new. I think we will be very happy and won't have that immediate depreciation that we would have with a new coach.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations, that's one of my favorite coaches. If we were to step up to a diesel I'd probably go with a 34y. Have fun!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have the same coach and love the layout. We have put on about 12,000 miles since we got it last year and it has been very reliable. The main negative I have found with our unit is that it is very susceptible to being pushed around by winds and passing trucks. We are averaging just under 10 mpg at 63 mph, towing a Honda CR-V.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2004 but if we were to upgrade to a newer diesel the 34y is our favorite floorplan. JEALOUS!! I remember seeing it at the Hershey, PA RV show back in the fall of 2010. We sat in it a long time. We ended up with the 2004 Vectra for a lower price. Now that a few years have gone by the 2011 is getting down to our price range.

Here's the brochure for the 2011 Meridian in case you don't have it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wb_4ccb0aec_11_meridian_bro.pdf (2.76 MB, 174 views)
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
We have the same coach and love the layout. We have put on about 12,000 miles since we got it last year and it has been very reliable. The main negative I have found with our unit is that it is very susceptible to being pushed around by winds and passing trucks. We are averaging just under 10 mpg at 63 mph, towing a Honda CR-V.
We test drove ours on a very windy day. I think inherently any RV is like driving a billboard down the road, but I do have to say this DP is a much better and smoother ride than our gas was. I was very impressed on the test drive and think we will be very happy. 10 MPG will be great, our gas only got about 8 without towing anything.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have the Winnie version of the 34Y, 2011 as well, 38k miles. Just bought it in January, going camping for the 2nd time tomorrow, Montana in May! We love everything about it, the floor plan is perfect for us. No major problems so far, although the full wall slide is rather scary.

We wish you the best of luck and best of times to come in your new coach! Safe travels, have a blast
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
We have the Winnie version of the 34Y, 2011 as well, 38k miles. Just bought it in January, going camping for the 2nd time tomorrow, Montana in May! We love everything about it, the floor plan is perfect for us. No major problems so far, although the full wall slide is rather scary.

We wish you the best of luck and best of times to come in your new coach! Safe travels, have a blast
Thanks PackerPower, I'm sure we will enjoy the coach! That full wall slide scares me as well. We ended up buying a 48 month extended warranty through US Warranty. With it being used and not knowing what could go wrong, especially with that slide, we thought it was worth the money. Have fun on your trip to Montana. 4 more years until full retirement and then full time travel for us.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

To get the best fuel mileage, I always drive with the economy "mode" button engaged on the transmission shifter. The motorhome will shift into sixth gear sooner in this mode. I hope that this button is working on your unit -- mine did not work when I bought my unit. This is a known problem and I managed to get mine fixed with only a couple of weeks left on the Freightliner warranty.
Regarding concerns about the full wall slide, because the slide does not extend out very far, I think the overhanging load is not too high and will not overly stress the slide mechanism.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your input Algonquin - just want to point out to others that you may or may not have the Economy mode option. I read earlier about this, and went nuts trying to figure out why I couldn't enable it. After talking with Allison, turns out my unit isn't programmed for this shift set (previous owner bought this new in the fall of 2010). Regarding the FWS, ours makes some noise and goes back and forth a bit - just seems the two motors are spaced so far apart for something that long. We also get a flashing minor fault at the end of travel (in or out) that is easily cleared. From what I've read, I don't think the fault is a big deal, unless you have heard otherwise? At least it is a Powergear slide model that was still in use prior to the switch to Schwintek. I think Winnebago started that in the 2012 models if I'm mistaken, sounds like they had a lot more problems with those.

Newbie31ul, those four years can't come soon enough I'm sure! We are looking at independence day around 3.5 years from now; not sure if we will full time, but we are definitely going to be traveling much of the year. This unit is really an outstanding compromise and combination of features, and if you find a good used one (like I hope you did), it's one of the best values out there IMO.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Had the same problem with my 40U. The Blue Ox TruCenter resolved that issue. I highly recommend this product. It is on sale now. Blue Ox TC35270 TruCenter Steering Stabilizer

Select the correct model for your coach but shop around on the internet for a better price. You will need a mounting package sold separately for it. I installed mine with a friends help.

Rick Y
Old 04-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

PackerPower, regarding the economy mode availability, it is strange that you were told that this mode was not available on your coach since your coach is essentially the same as my Itasca Meridian 34Y. When I discovered this problem, I talked to Freightliner and they said I should have this mode, and that the problem was likely in the shifter pad. A new shifter pad was installed by a Freightliner shop under warranty. The service manager told me there was a problem with the electrical connector. It sounded like Freightliner was well aware of the problem because they had no hesitation in replacing the shifter pad.

Regarding the full wall slide, mine too makes disconcerting noises when moving, but I have never had a flashing fault indication.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well, we picked up the Meridian today. Our walk through was at 1pm. It doesn't bode well for the walk through when the dealer rep says "you probably know more about this coach than I do, I've never seen one of these" They sell Winnebagos, the Itasca Meridian is the same as the Journeys they sell. So I'm a little confused on that statement.
He was pretty knowledgeable about all the diesel engine stuff and the common things on most RVs, (FRidge, A/C, Inverter, etc). He knew nothing about any of the electronics, didn't show us the slide operation or leveling system. It's not our first RV, so I think I can handle those things. The only part of the slide I'm not familiar with are the slide locks. I'll be doing a lot of reading before our first trip.
One thing I can't figure out is the steps, they don't retract other than when driving. I've tried to press the step switch (it's red) and it doesn't move. On our old coach, we had a switch that you could either have them stay out or retract every time the door closed.
The coach was dirty for the walk through, the rep was a little embarrassed. We ended up getting the diesel tank filled to half by the dealer, it had been on quarter tank. I was a little surprised by that, our last RV had all the tanks full upon delivery, different dealer though. Maybe I'm expecting too much for a used RV.
Overall, even with the mediocre walk through, I'm very happy to have our new RV. We can't wait to take it out on our first trip.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
PackerPower, regarding the economy mode availability, it is strange that you were told that this mode was not available on your coach since your coach is essentially the same as my Itasca Meridian 34Y. When I discovered this problem, I talked to Freightliner and they said I should have this mode, and that the problem was likely in the shifter pad. A new shifter pad was installed by a Freightliner shop under warranty. The service manager told me there was a problem with the electrical connector. It sounded like Freightliner was well aware of the problem because they had no hesitation in replacing the shifter pad.

Regarding the full wall slide, mine too makes disconcerting noises when moving, but I have never had a flashing fault indication.
Thanks Algonquin, I will contact Freightliner and see if they can help. I am certain my shift pad is different, which is why they said it was "unavailable". Regarding FWS, glad yours makes some noise, the fault is classified as "minor" and clears with one press. I am going to have it checked out before leaving for Montana, thanks for your advice!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie31ul View Post
Well, we picked up the Meridian today. Our walk through was at 1pm. It doesn't bode well for the walk through when the dealer rep says "you probably know more about this coach than I do, I've never seen one of these" They sell Winnebagos, the Itasca Meridian is the same as the Journeys they sell. So I'm a little confused on that statement.
He was pretty knowledgeable about all the diesel engine stuff and the common things on most RVs, (FRidge, A/C, Inverter, etc). He knew nothing about any of the electronics, didn't show us the slide operation or leveling system. It's not our first RV, so I think I can handle those things. The only part of the slide I'm not familiar with are the slide locks. I'll be doing a lot of reading before our first trip.
One thing I can't figure out is the steps, they don't retract other than when driving. I've tried to press the step switch (it's red) and it doesn't move. On our old coach, we had a switch that you could either have them stay out or retract every time the door closed.
The coach was dirty for the walk through, the rep was a little embarrassed. We ended up getting the diesel tank filled to half by the dealer, it had been on quarter tank. I was a little surprised by that, our last RV had all the tanks full upon delivery, different dealer though. Maybe I'm expecting too much for a used RV.
Overall, even with the mediocre walk through, I'm very happy to have our new RV. We can't wait to take it out on our first trip.
Congrats on finally taking delivery! We have our fingers crossed for you, hope there's no more surprises. I can help you with the step switch - the trick is to press the bottom of the red part of the switch up and in, then down. Play with it a bit, you will get it to work 😃
Old 04-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
Congrats on finally taking delivery! We have our fingers crossed for you, hope there's no more surprises. I can help you with the step switch - the trick is to press the bottom of the red part of the switch up and in, then down. Play with it a bit, you will get it to work 😃
Thanks PackerPower! I will try that tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I don't know if this applies to your coach or not. Winnebago typically uses a step switch that has a red square button on it. Slide that red button to the left and the black portion of the switch will pop out toward you and the steps will extend and stay extended even if you open and close the door. If you start the engine the steps will retract automatically and stay retracted until you turn the engine off and open the door.

To turn that function off, push the red portion of the switch to the right and the steps will extend when the door is opened and retract (and stay retracted) every time you close the door.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I am not at all comfortable with what you have posted here. It all seems upside down to me. If I walked into a PDI and found the rig dirty I would have ended the tour before it started. Your fuel tank would have been filled by a reputable dealer IMO.

About the steps. Take a Scotch Bright pad or some fine emery paper and polish the brass contacts located in the door hing jam area. This my solve that problem. I recently had to do this.

If you have the residential refrigerator set your inverter to on. This will keep power to the frig when you are not on shore power. I don't know if you have the generator Auto Start feature. If you do be certain to test it. Run all of your systems and be certain they ALL work. I hope your dealer will fix problems on his dime.

I have been using CRC Power Lube with PTFE: http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industrial...rch_detailpage

This is a dry lube but the Teflon (PTFE) protects and lubes the rack and pinion just fine.

Check your tires closely. They may have had tire dressing applied to make them look pretty. This could hide side wall cracking. Because Michelin has this problem (forever) I am going to Toyo tires. But, this is my preference for many reasons I consider important.

Does your rig use DEF? This is not a big deal but a pain to fill. The DEF box you can buy at Walmart is usually more expensive than at the truckers pump and is a stinky pain to use. CAUTION: Do not try to drive with an empty DEF tank. Your power system will go into limp mode until you get some DEF back into the tank.

Things you probably already know: Get your coach weighed (each wheel and total) after you have loaded it for travel. Have full fuel tanks, diesel and propane, and 2/3 potable water when you go to the scales. Set your tire pressure according to the weight chart for the tire manufacturer. Always set the axle psi per the heavy side. I strongly recommend a TPMS. This is no more than a early warning system that lets you know if a tire is failing. The temperature and pressure will be way out of line with the other tires. Believe me. You don't ever want to experience a blowout.

I have rambled enough here. I never did say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I hope you have many fun adventures in your new to you rig.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 04-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am not at all comfortable with what you have posted here. It all seems upside down to me. If I walked into a PDI and found the rig dirty I would have ended the tour before it started. Your fuel tank would have been filled by a reputable dealer IMO.

About the steps. Take a Scotch Bright pad or some fine emery paper and polish the brass contacts located in the door hing jam area. This my solve that problem. I recently had to do this.

If you have the residential refrigerator set your inverter to on. This will keep power to the frig when you are not on shore power. I don't know if you have the generator Auto Start feature. If you do be certain to test it. Run all of your systems and be certain they ALL work. I hope your dealer will fix problems on his dime.

I have been using CRC Power Lube with PTFE: CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 16 oz. (Net weight: 11 oz) Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

This is a dry lube but the Teflon (PTFE) protects and lubes the rack and pinion just fine.

Check your tires closely. They may have had tire dressing applied to make them look pretty. This could hide side wall cracking. Because Michelin has this problem (forever) I am going to Toyo tires. But, this is my preference for many reasons I consider important.

Does your rig use DEF? This is not a big deal but a pain to fill. The DEF box you can buy at Walmart is usually more expensive than at the truckers pump and is a stinky pain to use. CAUTION: Do not try to drive with an empty DEF tank. Your power system will go into limp mode until you get some DEF back into the tank.

Things you probably already know: Get your coach weighed (each wheel and total) after you have loaded it for travel. Have full fuel tanks, diesel and propane, and 2/3 potable water when you go to the scales. Set your tire pressure according to the weight chart for the tire manufacturer. Always set the axle psi per the heavy side. I strongly recommend a TPMS. This is no more than a early warning system that lets you know if a tire is failing. The temperature and pressure will be way out of line with the other tires. Believe me. You don't ever want to experience a blowout.

I have rambled enough here. I never did say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I hope you have many fun adventures in your new to you rig.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Thanks Rick
The problem with the steps was resolved, I just didn't know how to use the switch correctly.
I only got the extra 1/4 tank of gas because I complained about the coach being dirty. I had hoped they would fill it, but alas, no. Only filled to half tank.
We do not have a residential fridge, it's the 12 cf Norcold.
Also we do not have the DEF tank.
It does have the auto start Gen, he did start the generator up, I will fiddle with the auto start next weekend. We had that on our last coach, so I am familiar.
Supposedly the previous owner has replaced all the tires in the last year. I will have to check the codes for the manufacture date.
Thanks for all the good tips. I appreciate it.

Tags
itasca