Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Looking at a Winnebago Vista 31B

My wife and I are semi-empty nesters. We are looking for an RV to spend time together and to travel to California from a Texas to visit out kids and grandkids. We have been looking at the 2020 Vista 31B. We like the bunks for the added closet space and as a place for the dogs to sleep. We also like the solar, generator, outdoor kitchen/TV, and two A/C units (it can get hot here in northeastern Texas.

I was hoping for some feedback from others that own this or similar models. Thank you in advance.
SeaAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you know if the RV you are looking at is built on the new Ford F53 chassis? Does it have a V10 or a V8? I would get the VIN for the chassis as try to chase it down with Ford. The new chassis has a V8 and not a V10. They are also eventually supposed to have a 10 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed transmission. More importantly, it also has upgraded sway bars. If I were looking to buy a new F53 based RV, I think I would hold out until I could get the newer chassis.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Unit info

The unit I am looking at has the F53 chassis, Triton V-10, and the TorqShift 6 speed transmission.
SeaAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAssault View Post
The unit I am looking at has the F53 chassis, Triton V-10, and the TorqShift 6 speed transmission.
So it has the old chassis. My free advice (worth every penny :-) ) is to find a low milage used unit. It will save you a ton of money. As long as it is 2016 or newer it should have the same chassis as the new on you are looking at. The F53 V10/six speed drive train is solid but I would not pay the new RV premium for what is about to become the pervious generation chassis.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I agree with looking at a used unit. But the F53 / V10 with the 6 speed is a tried and true system that works very well.
A new unit is taking a chance. I have bought the first year unit and was very pleased with my 2014 Trend. Great gas mileage and the front wheel drive worked very well. It was just to small for us so we went back to a class A 2018 Vista.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
Site Team

Lots of folks will tell you to buy used. But we buy new and think it's the way to go.

With a used rig you don't really get an RV that's already had all it's issues repaired, you get an RV that's had all kinds of weird mods and changes and so-called fixes that aren't really fixes.

When you buy new you can screw it up the first time, the right way.

I've owned 5 RVs in 20-years... everyone of them bought brand new.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
Site Team

Not trying to sway the new/used conversation either way but addressing the specific model.

It seems you're looking for a bunkhouse model. We're in a 2010 32K which is a bunk. I'm not sure how long they made them but it's suited us pretty well over the 3 years we spent on the road in it. I guess if you do go the used route, that's another model to investigate. The factory brochure is a bit optimistic saying it will sleep 8? You could, but comfort and storage would be an issue with that number. It's also only a single bath, so 8 people/1 shower and toilet???

Tags
winnebago