Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

SML,
Your "kinked" upper fill hose is EXACTLY like mine was. Yep, too long and a kink. So, I removed it and, made it the correct length. But, be careful here. Onan used some sort of spastic connection proceedure to hookup the filler neck and cap assembly to the underside of the panel. Why they couldn't be normal and just pop the filler neck through the panel and have a top to that filler neck exposed is beyond me.

But, what I'm getting at is, if you shorten that hose too much, it's quite possible you'll have a hard time placing that cap/neck assembly into it's proper position. Take a few minutes and cut a bit, check the cap/neck install issues, cut maybe a bit more and re-check. Mine was difficult to work on that sensor issue and it was a slide out gen. So, yours will be much easier due to it's all way out in the open.
Good luck.
Scott

On edit: Hey, that little black plastic cover, just above the kinked hose, covers some 110VAC connections. Those connections are un-protected from the elements. I displayed some pics of those connections when I did my gen project and they sucked. It was so bad that some of the set screws that clamp on the wires were frozen in place. There was lots of corrosion in them. I had to drill out one of the set screws it was so bad. Why Onan didn't put a weatherpak plug there for the protection of those connections, well, who know, cost I guess. Anyway, that's another area to take a look at while you've got it out and apart.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Today I was able to extract all the wear/finite life items I want to replace. The t-stat, temp sensor and two of the main coolant hoses were pretty easy as was the drive belt. However, a coolant hose that runs from the water pump and down, under, and alongside the engine was a bit of a pain. I had to remove the entire exhaust system (pipe and mufflers) to get it out. I also pulled the radiator for cleaning and a leak check.

The drive belt looked good while on the genset but when I got it off for a closer inspection, it had many cracks and I believe it was ready to fail.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #23
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Journey genset removal

Gary... How many hours did you have on the genset when you decided to r and r it? Appreciate the write uo and pics... Rkl
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Gary... How many hours did you have on the genset when you decided to r and r it? Appreciate the write uo and pics... Rkl
1,100 hours. I did it not so much by hours as years. I felt 10 years on belts and hoses was enough.

The service schedule in the owner's manual indicates that at the 1,000 hour interval, the drive belt, all coolant hoses, thermostat and radiator cap should be replaced.

Considering the fact that the belt had a lot of cracks, I am glad I am doing this now. A belt failure, of course, would immediately leave you with no genset.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

My generator quit working a couple of weeks ago. By reading the forums I suspect a bad sensor. It was in the upper 20's and the batteries were very low. Generator would start, run briefly and shut down. This week I'm in warmer weather, mid 40's and the generator seems to function correctly. If I get time I'll pull the generator and replace the sensors, belts, etc. even though it seems OK now. Sure hate to be dry camping and not be able to use the generator.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Update:

All the service parts are installed in the genset. The three main coolant hoses, drive belt, thermostat, temp sensor and radiator cap was $166 at Onan. Clean and check the radiator was $67.50 at local radiator shop.

Exterior panels which were de-rusted, primed and painted are back on and it is essentially ready to go back into the greasy beast. Hope I have some decent weather this weekend to finish this up.

I just hope the thing runs and there are no leaks after I get it back in and re-connected. I will install the new heater core after I finish with the genset.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Gary, as always, Nice Job!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Gary, "You Da Man" I thought I did a big job a couple of weeks ago when I crawled under the coach to sand and repaint the oil pan on the Cat motor.

Nice Job
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Gary;

Thanks for the pictures and overview. You as always do great work.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

+1. I have had many a success in life by following the trails blazed by others. No point in re-inventing the wheel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
KIX
Winnebago Master

Very looking nice job. Anyway you could "bench" run it before re-install?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Very looking nice job. Anyway you could "bench" run it before re-install?
I considered that. I would have to make jumpers for the battery cables and both the fuel lines. I wasn't sure how it would run (or if it would run) without all the other connections. There are several water tight connectors that would not reach the genset where it sits.

If it leaks or otherwise doesn't behave when I get it back into the coach, you will hear me cussing on the West Coast

DW says it will run fine. She has faith in my ability
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #33
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I considered that. I would have to make jumpers for the battery cables and both the fuel lines. I wasn't sure how it would run (or if it would run) without all the other connections. There are several water tight connectors that would not reach the genset where it sits.

If it leaks or otherwise doesn't behave when I get it back into the coach, you will hear me cussing on the West Coast

DW says it will run fine. She has faith in my ability
Just a thought for you. A set of car jumper cables for the starter and a gallon of diesel ind an empty container to catch the return fuel. AT least you could test your hoses and belt. Then if your wife says it will run then maybe there's no question.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

I have faith in ya Gary --- thanks for all of the pictures documentating your hard work --- I won't have to do this for a while (knock on wood) as the genny in mine was replaced in the wreck with the new 8KVA genny. I am now just up to my 150 hour checkup.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I may have missed the answer to this in the thread. How many hours did you have on the generator when you decided to pull it for the preventative maintenance. Great idea and a great job. I hope I don't have to do mine any time soon. Mark
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Wow, very ambitious job. I applaud you!! I have a 2005 Journey 39K. The generator also doesn't slide out. (As an aside, I find it odd that Fire Up's Horizon slides out, but mine doesn't considering they are pretty similar units). I have 438 hours on my genset. I only bought the coach a couple months ago so I still haven't had a chance to do the maintenance on it yet. Is there any way at all to replace the heater core and the hoses etc without removing the genset?

How did you lift your coach up? Did you drive it up on blocks or did you use the HWH jacks or other jacks?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

smlranger,
Thank you for all of your information on your Generator service. I have copied all the info and stored it in my Favorites for the day I have to do it. You do great work.
FYI. I just lost all power into the drivers compartment, guages, head lights, engine won't start or run. obviously a chassis electric problem. Turned out to be a loose connection on an electrical relay in the back of the coach by the transmission on the passenger side. It is bolted to a plate welded to the top of the chassis rail. When it fails you lose all power, lights, engine. It does not affect the coach house power.
Just a heads up just in case.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
... (As an aside, I find it odd that Fire Up's Horizon slides out, but mine doesn't considering they are pretty similar units)...
Actually, starting in 2004 the Horizon became the Itasca equivalent of the Winnebago Vectra while the Meridian became the Itasca equivalent of the Journey. Prior to 2004 the Horizon was the equivalent of the Journey.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by megehrs View Post
I may have missed the answer to this in the thread. How many hours did you have on the generator when you decided to pull it for the preventative maintenance. Great idea and a great job. I hope I don't have to do mine any time soon. Mark
1,100 hours. The fact that the genset is now 11 years old was more a factor for me than hours. The Onan manual says to replace the coolant hoses, drive belt and T-Stat at 1,000 hours. My drive belt was cracked in many places and I think it was ready to go.

Deucenut:

The coach heater core can certainly be replaced without removing the genset. To get access to the heater core on the Journey/Meridian of this style, you at least have to disconnect the entire lower fiberglass clip and rotate it out (you can leave two bolts in the bottom brackets and rotate it if you prop it on something). However, I elected to entirely remove the front clip to give easier access to the heater core box and to reduce the amount of lift of the coach to get the genset out. With the front clip removed, the amount of lift required is about 10" - 12" less.

There is no way to get to any of the internals of the genset without removing it from the coach.

To help with lifting the coach, I placed 6" x 6" timbers under the front jack feet. I was able to easily remove the genset using this approach.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Chuck 1935.. I am going to keep track of you and your "trevails". We own the sister to your rig. We have a 2004 Meridian Itasca 34H as well. Love the vehicle, but only owned it for a year now. Bought it from original owner with 49K miles on it a year ago. He took good care of it, but I am watching out for things like you just had and the gen set saga in this thread. Keep in touch... Mark
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, removal