Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Cool 2004 Winnebago Adventurer AC issue

Has anyone had a problem with their Workhorse chassis AC not putting out cold air that is related to the air system doors in the dash not opening or closing properly? How can I test the doors and where are they located? I know the charge is good and the compressor system is fine.
ggribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

This is a common problem. I just fixed mine. Do a search in this forum and you will find electrical and vacuum systems diagrams and lots of different perspectives.

You have a vacuum problem. You need to do some isolation. Does it fail in all settings? Does it only fail on MAX AC or NORM AC? Mine was a MAX problem and that isolated it down to two vacuum lines. I found the leak and replaced that section of vacuum hose.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Finally a logical possibility. I think it is both on Max and on AC but have never checked specifically. How did you troubleshoot this? I found a diagram on line of the vacuum system as a service bulletin I can now determine which line is which. Did you check it at the dash end?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When my 2004 WH a/c failed to work properly, all the cold air was coming out the lower vents by my feet. What I found was the plastic vacuum line in the engine compartment had disintegrated. I think it was the blue line and in the area where the leak was located the plastic had faded to near white and I could scrape off decomposed plastic with my finger nail.

So my suggestion is to look at all the vacuum lines in the engine compartment where the heat has caused the lines to fade from a bright color. You may have a leaking vacuum line. It only takes a few minutes to check for the discoloration of the 4 or 5 lines. Your local auto parts store will have the replacement lines (in black). I just spliced in the replacement line in the engine compartment and didn't mess getting inside the dash to replace the whole line.

In nearly 11 yrs of ownership, I've only had one line go bad and all the original plastic lines look fine with a bright color and no deterioration at all.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I can tell you how I trouble shot mine.

The tool that I found most useful for this was a Harbor Freight brake bleeding tool. It has a vacuum gauge built in and it can act as a vacuum source. I had to use a short section of my new hose to fit it to the skinny little lines.

First I had to define the problem. With the engine running, try all of the different positions and make sure that the air comes out where it is supposed to. I determined that mine only failed in MAX AC. That limited it to two lines. See some of the old posts for the diagrams.

Under the dash, I found the spot where the lines come off the switch and traced it to the point where the lines split. I removed the lines from the splitter and applied vacuum with the tool. The green line (hot water turn off) held vacuum and the blue line (fresh air door) did not. Just to be paranoid, I removed the line at the fresh air door and applied vacuum there, it held. Tracing the blue line through the engine compartment, I found very slight nicks. I replaced that part of the line and all is good.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

A/C

My blue line needed replacing also--- but found the a/c heater switch was also leaking. The part # was YH-1489 motorcraft (ford) ----in a 2003 itasca sunflyer workhorse W22 8.1 ----I think it was 20.99 from RockAuto
426smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I ordered that vacuum tester tonight. Should be here in a few days. Thanks for the great ideas. Looking forward to testing the lines and will let you know, in about a week when the tool arrives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
When my 2004 WH a/c failed to work properly, all the cold air was coming out the lower vents by my feet. What I found was the plastic vacuum line in the engine compartment had disintegrated. I think it was the blue line and in the area where the leak was located the plastic had faded to near white and I could scrape off decomposed plastic with my finger nail.

So my suggestion is to look at all the vacuum lines in the engine compartment where the heat has caused the lines to fade from a bright color. You may have a leaking vacuum line. It only takes a few minutes to check for the discoloration of the 4 or 5 lines. Your local auto parts store will have the replacement lines (in black). I just spliced in the replacement line in the engine compartment and didn't mess getting inside the dash to replace the whole line.

In nearly 11 yrs of ownership, I've only had one line go bad and all the original plastic lines look fine with a bright color and no deterioration at all.

Good luck,
Bill

Tags
vent, winnebago