Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 12:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Jack won't go down

Hello all,
I have a front right jack that will not extend on my 04 Adventurer 33V. The other 3 work fine.
Having trouble determining which model HWH l have and getting an owner manual.
Any troubleshooting suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Ernie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you checked the hydraulic oil level in the tank?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a 04 Vectra, same year as yours. Mine is the HWH 325 system, yours may be different depending on the build date.

One thing you might check... locate the control box for the HWH system. Inside, if like mine, each jack has it's own 12v fuse. Since 3 of yours are working and one isn't, one might be blown.

Over at HWHCORP.COM you can download manuals for most of the systems.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you. I did have a blown fuse. Replaced it and still doesn't work. I haven't checked if the fuse blew again yet. My model number is AP 31348. HWH site shows it as obsolete; they had some info but l could not confirm what series it is or find owners manual. ( I'm not super tech savey)
Old 05-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Wayne, l did but not sure of result. I really need to get my hands on a manual to understand the system. I'm assuming l check it with the jacks up? I'm not sure what type of fluid to add if low.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a bad solenoid (there's one for each jack). They overheat, short out, and blow the fuse.

(Oh yeah, if you manually open the solenoid, the jack will go down (ad return right back up) if the only problem is a bad solenoid.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Try this page for your manuals...

Winnebago 2004 G33V Workhorse 325 Leveling System, Two Rooms – DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION – HWH® Corporation

According to your manual, check fluids with jacks up and both slides retracted.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here's the Parts Catalog for your coach. Take a look at the CHASSIS GROUP / HYDRAULIC LEVELING section for details including HWH part numbers for your jacks.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie D View Post
Hello all,
I have a front right jack that will not extend on my 04 Adventurer 33V. The other 3 work fine.
Having trouble determining which model HWH l have and getting an owner manual.
Any troubleshooting suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Check to see if the jack is leaking fluid. I had the same jack fail on my 2004 Suncruiser, I took it off and took it to a local hydraulic repair shop. They rebuilt it for me, I reinstalled it and it works just like new.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:50 AM   #10
WinnieAdven38

You most likely have a burnt out solenoid.

Assuming you have an HWH system - it is comprised of a large tank holding hydraulic fluid feeding into a distribution block. This block has 1 motor generating hydraulic pressure. It also has a series of electrical solenoids which open valves to allow the high pressure fluid to go to specific jacks or slide-out pistons.

When you want to extend jacks the motor runs, and solenoids specific to the location you are specifying open up their valves, allowing the HP hydraulic fluid to flow to those jacks, extending them. When you want to retract them the solenoids are simply opened (without the motor running), allowing the fluid to be forced back into the main tank.

But these solenoids can burn out if left actuated too long. When you are extending jacks any 1 solenoid is likely not open for very - because it does not have to be. But when retracting your jacks ("Store" position) all solenoids are activated, and can remain activated for many minutes, until all jacks are fully retracted. And if left on for more than 5 minutes you risk overheating them a nd burning them out. A common problem.

Your problem sounds very much like a burned out solenoid. They are fairly easy to replace - but the hard thing is to ID which solenoid controls which jack. You can do some research on-line to help with some HWH documentation which might help with this, but you have to know your exact HWH system model and become familiar with the layout of the lines and distribution block.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie D View Post
Wayne, l did but not sure of result. I really need to get my hands on a manual to understand the system. I'm assuming l check it with the jacks up? I'm not sure what type of fluid to add if low.
Thanks

Winnebago says to use their fluid, or Dexron III transmission fluid. There fluid is Dexron and clear whereas Dexron III is red and can make a mess if there is a leak. If you fluid is red it has already had Dexron III added to it.

If the Hydraulic tank is low on fluid there will not be enough to extend a jack. My thought is that the jacks go down with the pressure through the solenoids and in my coach they go down in pairs. Low fluid could keep one jack from not extending.

Yes, the JACKS NEED TO BE UP and slides in. Fill the tank up to about 1/2 inch (first knuckle deeper) than the bottom of the fill hole. I hope it is just low fluid.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Winnebago says to use their fluid, or Dexron III transmission fluid. There fluid is Dexron and clear whereas Dexron III is red and can make a mess if there is a leak. If you fluid is red it has already had Dexron III added to it.
Here's a Camping World link for HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil which HWH recommends, as stated, because it is clear.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Stuarts Service in Elkhart (HWH Rep) told me to save a few $$ and just get the Dexron III, only difference is the red dye.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone

Than you all for the feedback. It was extremely helpful.
I've got my hands on the manual, and will print it out and run diagnostics when we get home from our trip. I'm using Jack pads under that wheel in the meantime.
I really appreciate you for taking the time out to help me.
Ernie D