Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Had to mess around under the dash cover a couple of days ago while permanantly mounting our XM Roady2 and I happened to look closely at the electronic chime for the jacks down alarm. (I hate listening to the thing when we are getting ready to leave a campground.)

Lo and behold the chime has an adjustable baffle or mute disc on top of it; by turning the disc you can baffle or expose the noise-making openings. I turned it fully baffled so that the openings are completely closed. Now it has a pleasant "in the background" chime. It is loud enough to be heard, but is not obnoxious anymore.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Had to mess around under the dash cover a couple of days ago while permanantly mounting our XM Roady2 and I happened to look closely at the electronic chime for the jacks down alarm. (I hate listening to the thing when we are getting ready to leave a campground.)

Lo and behold the chime has an adjustable baffle or mute disc on top of it; by turning the disc you can baffle or expose the noise-making openings. I turned it fully baffled so that the openings are completely closed. Now it has a pleasant "in the background" chime. It is loud enough to be heard, but is not obnoxious anymore.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Excellant!! I will try that.

Other things need an alarm. The info center on the dash is blocked by the steering wheel. I wish I could put an alarm on the idiot light "check info center" to draw attention to it.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

For something as significant as the jacks, I prefer a really obnoxious alarm. Actually, I don't hear ours all that much as I rarely start the engine before raising the jacks. Jacks come up right after slides come in ...engine start is way down the checklist for me.

What I need an alarm on is the TV antenna ...the bright orange tag hanging right in front of me somehow gets overlooked sometimes until just after I hit the open road. Then I have to pull over and put the dumb thing down. Maybe I should just leave it up when that happens ...I am amazed at how many rigs I see going down the interstates with the antenna up!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Don't know about DP's but on new gasser's the chime (QUITE LOUD) comes on when the Parking lites are On w/ignition Off (driver's door closed). Very annoying if you want to park the rig for a while w/parking lites On (like checking in with a campground). DW would be stark raving in 5 min. Now why would Winnie wire this way??!!

Thudman :-/

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,
Just like many cars, that chime reminds you that your lights are on so you don't come out to a dead battery the next morning.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Seems like in most cars, the chime doesn't chime unless the door(s)' open. Now if Winnie wired it like that, I wouldn't have a comment.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote