Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Horizon slide hydraulic repair help??

My issue is a hydraulic cylinder leak on the dining room slide right behind the drivers seat. It is the rear cylinder located on the actual slide.
Took it to a dealer to fix the leak. Waited/still waiting 12 weeks foHWH to supposedly build one of these for replacement (wait, wait, call, call, wait).
I finally took it to a local truck repair shop and they are hesitant to do the work as they aren't quite sure how to access the cylinder. They were going to remove it, send it out to be rebuilt and then reinstall.
Now I am kind of stuck and am looking for a solution. My only answer now is to go back to the RV shop and have them remove and then try and get it rebuilt.
My rig is a 2002 Itasca Horizon 32'.
Any suggestions?
dawgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

More information will help...

Do you have pictures?

Is this an HWH slide system?

We need your RV model and floor plan?

How many slides do you have?

Is the synchronizing cylinder leaking or is the leak coming from inside the ram?

Are these pictures similar to your slide?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Large Slide Teflon Guides.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	178139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Syncronzing Cylinder - Workhorse Chassis.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	178140  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I suggest you send a private message to azpete. He's a Winnieowner who is also an HWH employee. He has helped me and many others with HWH slide and jack issues.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ete-13211.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dawgout,

Hopefully this isnt a duplicate reply, didnt see my last one show up.

Seeing that you are in MN highly recommend that you give Kendra a call at ABC Bus Company in Faribault MN as they also work on motorhomes, very knowledgeable group of techs and excellent communication on the issues...have had our 2005 Journey there a few times and have an appointment next week for a couple of issues that i cant resolve...they even know how to work on the basememt AC. They usually get me in a week or so after i contact them.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This may help you find someone to work on your slide:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml41023f2.html#MINNESOTA

I used this list to find the guy that's working on mine. I could tell from my initial phone call with him that he understood HWH slides.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Put this on another thread.

Hydra Power Hydraulics 7373 126th St W ...

Hydra Power Hydraulics
7373 126th St W
Savage, MN 55378
1-952-707-9100

I have taken a couple cylinders to them and they were quick and fair.

We have also used ABC Bus in Faribault and they have been very good.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks much for the replies. My Horizon is still at the local shop. I am picking it up tomorrow. They can't figure out how to access the cylinder.

I think I will give all the above suggestions quite a bit of thought once I pick it up tomorrow.

The mechanic at this local shop pulled the rig into his shop today. The unit was warm and running and he ran the slide in and out and said he only got a drop the size of a quarter on the floor in the time (1/2 hour) it was in the shop.

The reason he pulled it in is he had the mechanic from the RV shop on the phone trying to talk him through the removal. Turns out what the RV guy thought was not what the local mechanic (who is quite good and reliable) was seeing. So on that front, the local mechanic is hesitant to continue, which I appreciate his honesty on.

So, I will try and find the information asked for above and take some pictures and make some contacts (ABC bus in Faribault, or Hydra in Savage) and repost here with more info.

My MH is a 32' Itasca Horizon TD, 300 Cummins, 2 slides, both on the driver's side, one for dinette right behind driver's seat (that is the one leaking) and one slide in the bedroom.

Here is link to an Itasca that looks exactly like mine, same year, same slides, same floor plan.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

One more thing to consider, especially since it's a 2002. In the early 2000s, some HWH hoses were defective and leaked at the ferrule, which is the swaged part of the fitting at the end of the hose. I had to replace three or four hoses on my front slide (2002 Itasca Sunrise) and ordered exact replacement hoses from HWH. Here's a link to a photo of a fitting and ferrule:

https://www.instrumentation-fittings...se-Fitting.jpg

They need to be exact replacements both in terms of hose specs (diameter, construction, etc.) and length. Some will seem much longer than necessary but, depending on which hoses are involved, they are matched in length in order to balance the fluid flows when the hoses are in pairs. Each hose has a plastic sleeve at each end with HWH's part number on it. If it's difficult to read, try taking a cell phone photo and adjusting the contrast.

Replacing a hose should be less expensive than replacing or rebuilding a cylinder. If you're very lucky, you may only have a loose connection between the hose and cylinder, in which case tightening it with a wrench is all it needs. If it's the ferrule, the hose will be wet "above" the fitting, not at the connection to the cylinder.

At one time, HWH was providing replacement hoses for free, but they've long since stopped doing that.

And, if it is the cylinder, don't let anyone talk you into using hydraulic stop leak. It will work for a while but can cause more problems down the line, not only in the leaking cylinder but in the others by causing the seals to swell, etc. I was advised against using stop leak by azpete, who I mentioned in an earlier post.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #9

I'm still not clear which hydraulic unit we are talking about, but since the OP said they are having trouble accessing it, can I assume it's inside the ram?

Note: The Adventure seems to use the same HWH "Storemore" Flat Floor, but their hydraulic cylinders, and the adjustment nuts, seems to be more accessible vs. my 2004 Horizon 40AD cylinders. The last picture is from a 2005 Adventure and in my 2004 Horizon I don't have this access.

Since the OP has not yet posted any pictures, I don't know if we are on the same page here or not?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH 2004 Winnebago40AD Hydraulic Slideout (Room 1) Diagram.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	178158   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Picture of Slide Rams.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	178159  

Name:	RV - HWH Ram Adjustment Nut 2005 Adventure Passenger Slide.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	178160  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

This may help ID the specific slide unit in question:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.htm

In my 2002 Suncruiser 35U, the living room slide components are visible and easily accessible, the bedroom components aren't.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well Dawgout, your unit looks remarkedly like ours except ours is a 36 foot and the layout is different. I would contact ABC Bus in Faribault if you don't know how to get the cylinder out yourself. They have worked on our Journey several times and have always been fair with us.

They work primarily on large buses, the kind that tour companies use, but they have one section that only works RVs and have special training for that. When you call them ask for the RV department.

They have also serviced out basement Heat Pump.

ABC Bus
1506 30th St NW, Faribault, MN 55021
507 334 1871
Old 03-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for all the input and referrals.
I will try and post pictures soon. I am picking up my unit today from the local mechanic, so I will have access to photo where the leak is.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Drop it off to an hydraulic repair shop, if they are unable to rebuild, go to stuart repair in Indiana and order new cylinder and install yourself
Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Dawgout,
I just got to this thread. Gaining access to some of HWH's rams/hydraulic cylinders can, without a doubt, be one serious pain in the A$$!!!!!!! I know, I've rebuilt my bedroom closet master ram, THREE TIMES in the 10 years and 97K miles of ownership. And talk about a pain to r & r that ram, yeah it's a pain. But, I've developed short cuts over the years.

Now, as for yours, I cannot help you in telling you your access to the ram in question. But, an HWH ram is primarily no different than any other hydraulic ram. Some what's called POWERED out only and are retracted by either spring pressure (think HWH Jacks) and others are powered IN and OUT. They have a small steel line that leads to the outboard end that does the POWER IN stuff.

My coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. The ram for that bedroom slide is a very small diameter ram. The outside of the tube is around 3/4" in diameter. The bore is less than 3/4". There is no magical or technical wizardry about those rams. They are a piston, and bore, PERIOD. The piston may or may not have two sealing O-rings. The ram end may also have its own sealing 0-ring. In some cases, an X-ring is used.

Any hydraulic shop can repair it, once it's out. Hydraulic shops cannot be expected to know how to remove an HWH operations cylinder from a slide. That's not their job. Working on dump trucks, tractors, back hoes, and any other form of construction machines, hydraulic jacks etc, IS their job.

But, getting one of those rams out from inside a slide mechanism can be a very, very time consuming job. And it may or may not involve specialized tools. Mine required no such tools, just a ton of patience and flexibility of fingers, wrists and arms to contort to the direction needed to spin wrenches in tight quarters.

HWH, while it is a fairly big company and has provided working mechanisms for a zillion coaches for decades, is these days and in the not too distant past, a very slow response company. This last time I finally got through to a human voice on the phone, they told me they would take at least 6 weeks to get to rebuilding my bedroom slide ram, as they don't manufacture that model any more. I said, "no thanks, I'm not gonna leave my motorhome torn down for 6 + weeks when I can do it in a day.

It's not rocket science to tear those rams down, ONCE THEY'RE OUT of the coach. Anyone can do it. Below are pics of my bedroom closet slide master ram. I say "master" because, there are two rams that operate that slide. A master and a slave ram. And, like most HWH systems, there is also a "balance" or synchronizing ram in each slide operation. That balance ram is there to keep the two operational rams in sync so the slides extend out and retract back in, with the same pressure and travel. That keeps the slide square to the body both in and out.

Anyway, enough blabbing for now. Good luck on getting yours out and repaired, if it is in fact, a leaking ram. Below is a pic or two of my bedroom closet slide master ram. You'll see the main rod that the end cap seal rides on and, the piston, which does all the work.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3280.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	178235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3281.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	178236  

Name:	P1050537.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	178237   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050545.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	178238  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Ours are hydraulically powered both in and out, unlike the jacks.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgout View Post
My issue is a hydraulic cylinder leak on the dining room slide right behind the drivers seat. It is the rear cylinder located on the actual slide.
Took it to a dealer to fix the leak. Waited/still waiting 12 weeks foHWH to supposedly build one of these for replacement (wait, wait, call, call, wait).
I finally took it to a local truck repair shop and they are hesitant to do the work as they aren't quite sure how to access the cylinder. They were going to remove it, send it out to be rebuilt and then reinstall.
Now I am kind of stuck and am looking for a solution. My only answer now is to go back to the RV shop and have them remove and then try and get it rebuilt.
My rig is a 2002 Itasca Horizon 32'.
Any suggestions?
HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
These guys are great with HWH questions and parts availability and service. I suggest you give them a call. From what I understand, once you get the cylinder out most any hydraulic repair shop should be able to fix it.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Ours are hydraulically powered both in and out, unlike the jacks.
They have to be powered in and out, there's no springs to auto-retract them like the jacks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, spring-retracted slideouts... I'm thinking I'd need a LOT bigger toolbox to handle the tension and torque that would be on those puppies. Nope.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Journey 32t. A year and a half ago I had 3 slide cylinders leaking! I decided to make an appointment at the HWH factory. Drove up in one day. Hooked up to electricity on their property that night. They got me in the shop mid-morning the next day. They removed, R & R'd the three cylinders. I left there about 3:30pm that day. Drove halfway home. Very please with their service. Tough trip after driving 1500 miles in 3 days but it was worth it!
Old 04-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
They have to be powered in and out, there's no springs to auto-retract them like the jacks. Scott
Now, as for yours, I cannot help you in telling you your access to the ram in question. But, an HWH ram is primarily no different than any other hydraulic ram. Some what's called POWERED out only and are retracted by either spring pressure (think HWH Jacks) and others are powered IN and OUT.

Your words, I was just clarifying.

Tags
hydraulic, itasca, repair, slide