Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2023, 11:58 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Schematic

The schmatic you posted showed ac passing throught the inverter to energize the circuit containing the 6~ outlets that will be inverter powered when inverter is selected. That is not the case. That circuit is energized by shore pwr when the inverter is disconnected. Out of the rv. No pass through is required. There is a path not shown that does not pass through the inverter. The schematic is inaccurate. There has to be an open or a circuit interupter between the inverter and that circuit.
Chief141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:23 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

So what you have is an Rv that is not wired as Winnebago drawings show and the inverter was not working, so it was changed out.
The big mystery will be in finding how it is actually wired and why the new inverter also is not working?
There are almost always faults in any plans I read and it pays to verify as they are more guidance, rather than warrenty!

Once wiring is found to not follow the plan, just about anything is possible!
Possibly a previous owner never used the inverter and when it failed they just wired around it?
Lots of potential for lots of mods that we will never get info on what to expect!
Given the info you now have, I would have to look at going back to the new inverter install and looking carefully at teh input and outputs to and from it to verify how it should be wired, since there is no way to relie on swapping wire for wire if things were not as built when you started the change out.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Tech and I agreed to start from scratch. Curcuit chasing in that environment will be a labor of love. Or something else. Wire colors mean nothing. Behind every access pnl a Dean Koontz novel. I'm stuck on an inline breaker. Somewhere. More then likely been there since the build. Just not documented. Will keep you apprised.
Go RVing!
Chief141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:44 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

It sounds like you are used to using a different level of schematic than used in RV. The name schematic varies from place to place, so there are every kind from the simple line drawing that just shows a line of boxes and has no info on colors or sizes of wires and goes up to super huge charts that show ALL the wires involved in an item. I like the wire by wire type but when looking at these drawings for the AC power as used by Winnebago, it is easy to spot them as being really simple line drawings more than wire by wire.
An Ac outlet with one wire going in isn't going to get us very far!
So when we get to something like an inverter, there is no reason to assume ALL the wires are shown but more just a "placeholder" to show where the inverter sets in the lineup
An inverter with no connection to the batteries has to be assumed to be a very simple drawing, not what we need to actually figure out how the inverter is connected.

So what was used when you replaced the inverter? I would assume there was some info from the inverter builder to use to install it, so a check of that may lead to finding a solution?

For help on the wire color code and how to ID various wiring, have you read through the help section on wiring?
The problem with many techs who do not work on any specific brand of RV is that they never really have to get down and read or learn the different ways different builders work. That leaves them simply guessing at things that do actually have a plan for how to Id the various parts like wires and circuits.

Ask the tech how Winnebago Id's their wires and see if he gives you a straight answer or just blows you off with some BS about "nobody does that"!
If he knows his Winnebago work, he knows how to ID the wires and where to find the info on what that Id means as well as where the wire comes from and goes to!
Old 03-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

For other folks following this chase, there are specific methods to help us follow the wiring in Winnebago RV and they are not like others as each group has their own methods of making the drawings make sense. I find Winnebago does a much better job than other Rv folks but it is not as complete as used in other industries where the equipment is more complex and the repair folks have to have far better info.

But knowing what Winnebago DOES provide is step one on getting the best out of the info!
A place to start is reading what they do give us and their info on how to use it.
That can start here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Down in the lower left there are several links to explain what they give us. The link to "wiring diagram help" gets us to this:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...agram/Help.pdf

Reading down through all the info they give us, we find how to ID each wire, wether it is romex or single strands of wire. They show us what color to expect, what gauge and then how they are labeled as a general guide.
Where that info often seems to fall apart is when we get to equipment that is NOT built by Winnebago and will be different with different items from different builders.
It is normal in the drawings I have looked at over the years to get to a certain point and need to get more info from the company that builds item, if we really need to understand how that item works.

Very much like any industry, like your house. If you look at the drawings for your house, you will only find it covers the wiring done by the home builder. If you need to understand how the furnace works, you have to dig out the drawings for the furnace! The guy that works on the pole outside will not know how the house is wired and the furnace guy doesn't care much either as long as it meets the standards set.

In this case, I see no fault with Winnebago not showing the wiring of the inverter, especially after the inverter they installed has been changed out!

Tags
inverter