Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2016 Itasca Solei (Winnebago Forza) Winterization

Just bought a 2016 Itasca Solei (Winnebago Forza). It was already winterized, but I am planning ahead. It does not have an antifreeze siphon hose. The manual just describes using air pressure, and then a cup of antifreeze into each drain trap. The place I bought suggested that doesn't work well. What have others experienced? Have others found a way to siphon antifreeze instead of using air pressure? Tom
Tom Holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Winterize

Just install a 2 way valve with a siphon port on the water pump suction line. One way will draw from tank,turn valve oppose it way and you can draw from RV antifreeze container.
Our ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It will help us support you if you indicate your model in your posts with a question about your unit. From your profile I assume it is a 36G.

I blow my Winnebago out with 30 PSI compressed air and store in cold weather and I have not had any water system damage. I would check the operaters manual for your unit for specific instructions from Winnebago, they may want you to do something with the water filter. You also want to remove the debris filter cap from the inlet side of the water pump the compressed air does not back feed thru the water pump and get to the inlet side and any water left in that filter after you drain the fresh tank will freeze and break the cap, believe me I know!

I looked at the 36G plumbing diagram and I agree that it does not have suction hose and the 3 way valve to switch the water pump input from the water tank to the antifreeze suction hose. If you can access the water pump then there is a debris filter on the inlet side and you would add the 3 way valve between the debris filter and the water tank.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:31 AM   #4
Just Trying to Help

Tom-

I snagged the picture below from an Internet ad for a 2016 Forza 36G, then added a red circle to it. The circle highlights the piping between the water tank inlet/outlet and the water pump inlet.

If you add a shutoff valve to the piping in the circled area, you will be able to use the coach's fresh water inlet and the water pump to winterize with antifreeze. The valve prevents antifreeze from going into the fresh water tank, while allowing the antifreeze to reach the water pump inlet. I suggest a Sharkbite push-to-connect 1/2-inch PEX ball valve for this valve. Or, you could use a PEX-crimped (the kind with PEX barbs on both ends) ball valve if you have the ring crimp tool and the room to use it.

[Digression: I wonder why Winnebago omitted this valve?]

After installing the valve, the antifreeze procedure would be:

1) Drain and bypass water heater
2) Place five-gallon bucket in front of the wet bay
3) Fill bucket with three or four gallons of antifreeze
4) Run hose from wet bay fresh water inlet to bucket
5) Set newly-installed valve to shut off position
6) Set wet bay valve to "Tank Fill" position
7) Start water pump and allow it to pressurize
8) Follow "usual" procedures to push antifreeze throughout coach plumbing and any appliances as necessary (Note: The cold and hot water low point drains should be cracked open and then shut, enough to know that antifreeze has gotten through them)
9) Shut off water pump
10) Set wet bay valve to "Normal" position
11) Remove hose and bucket

I've left out a few details, but the above should get you started.

In the Spring, after you have flushed out the antifreeze, a bit will be left in the piping between the pump inlet and the water tank. As soon as you open the newly-installed shutoff valve that slug of antifreeze will go into the fresh water tank. It should do no harm there, but if you want to get it out you should open the tank drain valve and flush some fresh water through the tank. That will also help you remember the valve is there. If you don't, and you later go to fill or use the fresh water tank with the newly-installed shutoff valve closed, the tank won't fill and the pump won't draw suction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016Forza36GWaterPump.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	487.3 KB
ID:	185365  
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks. I do have the 36g model. I haven't been able to locate the by-pass to the water heater. In my research I did read something suggesting there wasn't one. Do you know if there is one, if so where the access would be?
Tom Holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 04:25 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Tom-

The way I read the plumbing diagrams (link here) it appears the water heater

1) does not have a bypass valve, and
2) is under the galley sink

If the latter is correct, it should be easy to install a bypass valve.

You might also consider replacing the water heater inlet and outlet check valves with ball valves at the same time. Eventually those check valves will fail.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, winter, itasca