Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Have Leak Along Top of Windshield

Hello All

Recently I leveled my 2003 Sightseer 30B motor home in my driveway and because I raised the front wheels off the ground about 4 inches to level, I may have popped a seal on one of the windshields as it now leaks when it rains.

The leak appears to be almost like a spray along the inside of the windshield ending up on the dash a small degree of puddling about 2 inches from the windshield. I can't for the life of me see where it's coming in as the ceiling, where it meets the windshields looks like it's had water in it, but HOW is the water getting in? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions to fix this irritant!

Radio Guy in Canada
Radio Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Obviously, we can't begin to know your coach or it's condition. BUT... the number one reason for "water coming in the windshield" comes in from the roof radius on the side of the coach.

The number two reason is leaks around the clearance lights above the windshield.

Those are the two places to look right now.

Look where the front cap bends around to meet the side of your RV. Holes open up there and water flows in from the drip rail on the side of the RV and runs forward in the cabinet behind the windshield. Then it comes down on the dash - either on the sides or the front. And, everyone thinks it's the windshield.

Of course, windshields can leak, it's just much more rare than the other two options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Radius Caulking.png
Views:	83
Size:	782.2 KB
ID:	180602  
Old 08-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That is a great suggestion "Creativepart". I will look at that first thing in the morning. We have put caulking on the roof along the seal about 10 inches from the front of the coach and also around the lights at the top, but we likely need to put some additional fresh "Self Levelling" caulking like you said, where the drip bar ends at the seal. I will report back on the results soon!

Thanks much
Radio Guy in Canada
Radio Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I confirmed my windshield leak and made a TEMPORARY fix at the same time by applying 1" aluminum foil tape across the top of the windshield. If applied correctly, I appears professional and stops a WINDSHIELD SEAL leak. It is a troubleshooting tool and not intended to be a permanent fix.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I confirmed my windshield leak and made a TEMPORARY fix at the same time by applying 1" aluminum foil tape across the top of the windshield. If applied correctly, I appears professional and stops a WINDSHIELD SEAL leak. It is a troubleshooting tool and not intended to be a permanent fix.
I did the same thing and replaced it with Eternabond tape, which is still working after about four years.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Leak

Also check your marker lights above the windshield, for leakage behind the base or around the cover/lens. Leaks there can appear to be from the windshield, but actually originate above. A cleaning followed by applying a small spread of clear silicone will work wonders.
Touring Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had a windshield leak last year, tried to get Safelite to seal the gasketbut they only do glass repair/replacement. Had a mobile RV guy look at the windshield, he found enough chips, scratches and cracks on the 2004 Adventurer that insurance covered replacing/resealing the whole windshield.
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I struggled for a whole year thinking my windshield leaked, but it actually was the marker lights above it. I removed all of them, cleaned all the old silicone off, reinstalled the lights with fresh silicone and BAM! no more leaks

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
TheArthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring Tom View Post
Also check your marker lights above the windshield, for leakage behind the base or around the cover/lens. Leaks there can appear to be from the windshield, but actually originate above. A cleaning followed by applying a small spread of clear silicone will work wonders.

Yes indeed! In 2003 they still used a foam rubber gasket behind those lights that turns to dust after a few years especially if you spend a lot of time in the Deep South or Desert and once they have turned to dust, water will then flood right in.

Sealing around them with a UV Resistant Clear Sealant leaving a small weep hole at the bottom middle of each one has resolved many people problems. Often its the water that comes down from these lights that causes the windshield frame damage some have experienced.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Yes indeed! In 2003 they still used a foam rubber gasket behind those lights that turns to dust after a few years especially if you spend a lot of time in the Deep South or Desert and once they have turned to dust, water will then flood right in.

Sealing around them with a UV Resistant Clear Sealant leaving a small weep hole at the bottom middle of each one has resolved many people problems. Often its the water that comes down from these lights that causes the windshield frame damage some have experienced.
This is a good idea even if they're not currently leaking.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This is a good idea even if they're not currently leaking.

Yes Bob, that few ounces of prevention in the form of a tube of sealant and a little elbow grease can save you thousands on a future windshield frame repair or if you'd prefer, many pounds of cure. Most insurances will only cover the cost of replacing the glass but not the rust repair and potential welding of new steel into a rusted frame, coating it with OSPHO, priming, painting, etc, etc.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Can you post a photo of how eartbond tape was placed? I have a 2012 with periodic windshield leaks.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Windshield leaks are a common problem. Google for Winnebago windshield rust. Winnebago's design is great. It's a steel frame with automotive style adhesive installation. Unfortunately, water sits along the top edge of the windshield and rusts the steel frame to where water can get through.

It may not always be the issue, but it's a common enough problem that you should be prepared for it. I have an estimate to repair mine at about $4,000. Unless the windshields don't crack on removal. But they always crack on removal, so...
Old 08-29-2021, 10:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I put a stick on molded gutter above the windshield, then found I still had a leak, so put clear silicone, UV resistant, around the running lights over the windshield leaving a bit with no silicone at the bottoms as a drip hole. No more leaks. Did have 3 puddles on the dash before that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

This question is a bit off topic, but thought maybe you guys would know. I currently have no windshield leaks but when cleaning the windshield have noticed that the rubber extrusion is loose in many locations. I can pull it from away from the connection between the frame and the glass.

Is this just glued on or it there a physical attachment?
Old 09-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

It's fit without mechanical fasteners or adhesive, just friction. If it's loose, it may have shrunk a bit over the years. I replaced mine, I don't recall that it was too expensive. If you do so, make sure it has a chance to "relax" in a warm place so the kinks from being rolled up don't present a problem.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Had to have both my front windows replaced back in Dec. '19 and according to the insurance estimate, the techs were to change the 'molding surround' @$115 & 'molding center' @$88 and used what on the insurance estimate is called 'glue' @$60. Those prices are for the parts, not labor.

I was interested back than in what that 'glue' was so when the job was progressing I checked the label and took a picture of the tube but unfortunately it's lost now. I have a folder of the job on my computer, but that picture is missing, the victim of a HDD crash no doubt. It could just be black buytl as that would probably work fine.

What you could do is check with any local automotive glass installer and ask them what they would use on a big truck or RV that have those large plastic/rubber moldings.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 1999, 36' Winnebago Chieftain, on a 35u chassis, and have had similar issues with the windshields leaking. We had the driver's side replaced by our insurance company because of a stone impact that caused it to crack. They found evidence of leaking, cleaned up the rust, sealed the metal, and caulked the window seam. I pulled the rubber back on the passenger side, and did the same. I sealed the marker lamps and the roof radius's as well. We have not had any problems since that.
RWColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArthurs View Post
I struggled for a whole year thinking my windshield leaked, but it actually was the marker lights above it. I removed all of them, cleaned all the old silicone off, reinstalled the lights with fresh silicone and BAM! no more leaks
That's exactly what happened to my 2003 Itasca with recessed clearance light. Took awhile to figure it out. The PO kept on larding silicone caulk around the lights several times which does not last and is unsightly. Take the time to remove all the caulk and remove the lights to clean all mounting surfaces before applying new caulk on the base of the light. Would be a good time to replace with new lights. They're cheap enough and improve the look of an older rig.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Even if the lights aren't the problem, it's best to go ahead and reseal them as a preventative measure. Mine weren't leaking but, as I recall, they were just sealed with a gasket.

Tags
leak