Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inside Water Leak at Windshield, not the Windshield seal

We went to AZ this winter and on the way back I had a water leak in the inside of the windshield right between the defrost fans. I took it to the dealer and they ran water on the outside to see if it would leak. It didn't. Know I wonder if while in AZ and running the A/C heat pump caused condensation to accumulate and travel inside to the windshield area. Does this sound possible? How do I check to see if there is a draining problem from the A/C.
Once the water was cleaned up (this happened 2 times) I haven't had the water leakage again, but of course I haven't been in an environment where I have needed the A/C that much or the Heat pump for heat.
Ideas?
Gary
Gallal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When did the water appear? If in the morning, after the RV was closed up for overnight sleeping, it could be condensation dripping off the colder, uninsulated sections.

The ducts from the roof A/C/heat pump doesn't run all the way to the windshield, I don't think it could be condensate from that. You could go on the roof and remove the A/C cover, the coils could always use cleaning. While everything is uncovered, you could pour water over the coils and watch where it drains. If you have tubes running under the roof, down the sides to the ground that would reveal if they're clogged.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

It could also be condensation or a rain water leaking into your defrost ducts, then getting blown out while in use or in motion. Might want to look for holes in your ducts up front.

Hopefully someone else has seen this and can chime in.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallal View Post
We went to AZ this winter and on the way back I had a water leak in the inside of the windshield right between the defrost fans. I took it to the dealer and they ran water on the outside to see if it would leak. It didn't. Know I wonder if while in AZ and running the A/C heat pump caused condensation to accumulate and travel inside to the windshield area. Does this sound possible? How do I check to see if there is a draining problem from the A/C.
Once the water was cleaned up (this happened 2 times) I haven't had the water leakage again, but of course I haven't been in an environment where I have needed the A/C that much or the Heat pump for heat.
Ideas?
Gary

Does it leak while coming to a stop in rain and no leak while driving?
If this is what is gapping your top end cap needs sealing. What I found out the water will travel down the rain gutter and hit the cap and forces water under it. Take your finger on the corner edge and see if it lifts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462477459.152787.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	126135
I hope this picture helps you.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check the seals around the clearance lights above the windshield, we did that and used the tape to reseal and the leak has stopped, but we need to check the windshield for the rusty windshield problem that Winnebago's are known for. Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite66 View Post
Check the seals around the clearance lights above the windshield, we did that and used the tape to reseal and the leak has stopped, but we need to check the windshield for the rusty windshield problem that Winnebago's are known for. Hope this helps.
Bingo! A clearance lamp was the source of water for our windshield leak. The water ran down the inside of the fiberglass and was trapped/pooled on top of the windshield frame. It eventually rusted the metal and the water would leak inside the glass and drip on the dash. The repairing dealer destroyed both panes of glass removing them, rehabbed the metal frame, and put new glass in. Their "repair" to the leaking clearance lamp was laughable. I resealed all the fixtures, and check/repair as needed at least once a year. I also ran a bead of clear silicone with my finger along both sides of the outside rubber to better prevent water intrusion around the rubber.

I seriously doubt there would ever be any condensation inside the fiberglass from roof top ac units ...the only place where the inside is not enclosed in a "sandwich" is on the front and rear caps. If there is water inside the fiberglass, it is coming through a hole somewhere.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The OP has not yet responded as to whether the leak is from morning dew, interior condensation after sleeping/living in RV overnight, or rain. Does anyone have a similar model RV with A/C condensate drain hoses running through the roof? If that model RV doesn't have a drain line, but just runs off the roof, I'd think the A/C foam seal needs to be tightened or replaced. All the suggestions of leaking cap, ICC lights, even the Winnebago rusty steel cage problem have not been supported by the idea the leaking only happened two times. A hose on the area didn't expose leaks and I sort of get the idea the RV sat in Arizona all winter being used, it didn't leak until he moved it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallal View Post
Ideas?
Gary
The water appeared after washing the front of the MH to clear bug splatter. This was in Willits, CA on the way back from Yuma. Yes, we had slept in the MH all along the way. Water again appeared in Brookings, OR after rain storm, but then not again since. Dealer asked if we had repositioned the MH before seeing the water. Of course we had in driving. Remember this is a 2015, purchased new last June. But it had sat on the Dlr lot for a year. I haven't had the chance to check the cap yet. Or look at the A/C units on the top yet. Thanks for the suggestions. It helps.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We have had two Winnebago models (2003 Horizon)(and current 2010 Journey) both developed interior leaks at the top of the windshield. The location of the inside drips had more to do with how level the coach was, not where the actual leak was, as the water moved along the top inside edge of the windshield.

In each case, it had to do with the caulking seal at the roof and front cap. On the 2003 model, it was on the very top, in the middle where caulking had separated between the fiberglass roof sheet, and where it went under the front fiberglass cap.

In our current 2010 model, the leak was at the front cap where it curved down from the flat top, around to the drip rail, on the passenger side above the door. Really hard to find, because the caulking was loose, but formed a flap, so you couldn't see it, had to feel it. With a little slope, water actually ran to the driver's side to drip.

On both, thoroughly cleaned old caulk out, applied new sealant (as spec'ed), and no more leaks.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Gary, We too had a leak in the windshield area, in the middle between the two fans. First saw it in Washington, so I inspected and cleaned the marker lights. It happened again in Oregon. After some research figure it must be the windshield. In AZ I took a hose up to the roof to confirm it was the windshield mask and not the antenna penetration. Nothing leaked. Since the windshield mask has such a history of leaking I bought a tube of windshield adhesive and put a bead along the top lip. I then flew home leaving my wife in AZ. She calls 3days later telling me the leak is back. Upon my return to AZ resealed all the penetrations in the front cap. We have had no leaks since.

Todd7
2012 Suncruiser, 28ft,
Todd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The OP has not yet responded as to whether the leak is from morning dew, interior condensation after sleeping/living in RV overnight, or rain. Does anyone have a similar model RV with A/C condensate drain hoses running through the roof? If that model RV doesn't have a drain line, but just runs off the roof, I'd think the A/C foam seal needs to be tightened or replaced. All the suggestions of leaking cap, ICC lights, even the Winnebago rusty steel cage problem have not been supported by the idea the leaking only happened two times. A hose on the area didn't expose leaks and I sort of get the idea the RV sat in Arizona all winter being used, it didn't leak until he moved it.
Well folks, I brought the MH home today in prep for using this weekend. I checked the end caps and all is well caulked. I checked the A/C after removing the shrouds, and found no evidence of leakage. BTW, there doesn't seem to be any drain lines up there, so I assume They just drain off the roof. I checked the running lights and several where a bit loose. They screw on (LEDs) but nothing wet or appearing to have been wet. But tightened them. Looked at the defrost vents and nothing suspicious. So, Camping World told me to take a picture the next time it happens. So I guess it is wait and see.

Tags
leak, seal, water, water leak