Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2023, 06:29 PM   #1
1995 Itasca Sunrise "Jed"

Dash A/C issues 1995 Itasca Sunrise 1995 Evans Tempcon

dash AC Evans Tempcon system on a 1995 p30. New compressor, new Drier, new thermostat, new relay. Vacuumed down 1hr. Held pressure. Another 45 minute vacuum.

Compressor will kick on. Low side reads way too high and high side way too low....

Will not take freon. Any freon makes the compressor chirp. Belt is new and really tight.

Any ideas??? Blockage??? Old drier I think the bag was busted.
JedtheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedtheCamper View Post
dash AC Evans Tempcon system on a 1995 p30. New compressor, new Drier, new thermostat, new relay. Vacuumed down 1hr. Held pressure. Another 45 minute vacuum.

Compressor will kick on. Low side reads way too high and high side way too low....

Will not take freon. Any freon makes the compressor chirp. Belt is new and really tight.

Any ideas??? Blockage??? Old drier I think the bag was busted.
Sounds like very low or no refrigerant in the system. If properly charged, I would think a blockage on the high side would result in the high side reading high. A blockage on the low side would cause the low side to read low.

Are you sure when you tried to add refrigerant, you had the high side valved OFF and the LOW side open with the engine running? I suspect your can tap valve is clogged or not open. Maybe it is just iced up. Try another can and a new tap.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:04 PM   #3

Yes that is exactly what we did and that's why we are confused if it is clogged
We even tried to not use the gauges and just try to use the trigger that comes with a can.... and it still would not take any.

Any other ideas because we are at a loss???
Old 06-26-2023, 09:37 PM   #4

Yes that is exactly what we did and that's why we are confused if it is clogged
We even tried to not use the gauges and just try to use the trigger that comes with the can and it still would not take any.

Any other ideas because we are at a loss???
Old 06-27-2023, 05:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like an issue with your can, tap or hose. Some hoses have a valve in them that prevents flow in the opposite direction. If you have the hose reversed, that would prevent the flow.

Disconnect the hose from the vehicle and verify refrigerant freely flows out the hose.

Could be an issue with a Schneider valve not being depressed

Are you certain you are connecting to the low pressure port?

You should be able to add a pound or so with the engine not running.
eyecando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

All I have to offer is the Evans-Tempcon service manual for RV's. FYI, Evans-Tempcon filed bankruptcy Dec. 2022.

I wonder if the expansion valve could be stuck? That's the only item you didn't mention.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

There is a really great thread on Dash AC units over on IRV2,

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/das...ss-616588.html
Old 07-02-2023, 11:40 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses! I am on a trip, but will be back soon and will update the board. I have learned a lot about expansion valves this past week. I think the drier busted and clogged the drier line and expansion valve. I will be flushing and replacing that this week and will update the board!
Old 07-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Did you screw the can puncher down until it pierced the can top, and then open the valve at the can by turning the plunger or puncher left to lift the plunger so the Freon could flow through the line?
Old 07-07-2023, 11:11 PM   #10

We worked on the expansion valve today. I was able to get the front line off. I flushed that line that leads to the drier. I could not get the other front line off or the rear lines. They are rusted on there. I tried different penetrating fluids, very dangerously used some heat from a torch (probably a bad decision) but they were just bending the copper lines. The bolts would not budge.

The expansion valve, i could see into it with one line removed. It is in the off position. I did not see any blockage, silica beads, etc. I could not see the bottom line.

Is there a way to flush this part? If this is stuck in the off position, is there a way to get it unstuck?

I am not sure how to get those back bolts off and the bottom bolt. It would bend and crimp the lines....and I am still not sure they could come off.

I reassembled and vacuum for about 1 hr 30 min. It held at -30 for about 30 minutes and we tried to charge. We could not get the compressor on. We tried jumping the port by the drier with a paperclip and it would not jump.

It would not take freon using gauges.....would not take it using the bottle tap that it came with....could not get freon to flow...any ideas?
Old 07-07-2023, 11:27 PM   #11

1995 Itasca Sunrise Dash A/C (Evans Tempcon)

I am struggling with a 1995 Itasca Sunrise Evans Tempcon AC. The compressor is new, the drier is new. I also replaced the relay and the thermostat. The old drier had silica beads jammed in the end much like the pictures in the old post here. I tried to take off the expansion valve but the two back bolts and the front bottom bolt would not budge. The top line did come off. I was able to see that the expansion valve is in the closed position.

I did not see anything jammed in the hole. I am unsure, though, if it moves properly to allow refrigerant to flow.

I flushed the line from the dryer to the expansion valve. We bolted everything back in and vacuumed down for about an hr to an hr and a half. It held vacuum below -30,

We were trying to get freon in and the compressor would not kick on. I tried to jump the drier switch, but I did not try to jump the one next to the expansion valve. i will try that in the morning.

Things not happening:

1. No freon is going in
2. Compressor is not kicking on
3. The fan is not coming on
4. TX valve may or may not be jammed- Cannot be removed or lines will kink. Tried penetrating fluid....even tried a little heat (very dangerous) via a torch

Is there anyway to test the TX valve while it is connected? Is it the culprit?

How do I know if it is stuck in the closed position? Is there a way to unjam it?

Can I jump the binary switch on the low pressure valve connected to the TX block and get the compressor to kick on? Can I add freon there.

Previous issues before I remove the drier.... The shop put on the compressor and belts but would not replace the drier. They charged it. The compressor squealed and chirped acting like it was overcharged. I replaced the drier and saw the silica beads jammed in the end.

Thoughts on all this?

Help?

Dr. Jed
Old 07-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

No tips or advice, just this service manual: https://www.btrac.com/documents/svc-...i-feb-2011.pdf

IMO that shop did you a disservice.
FWIW, you can post your experience on https://rvservicereviews.com/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:39 PM   #13

We worked some more today. The TX block is clogged. The evaporator I think also has a leak. I will add more to this thread in a month or so when I get to work on these.

If anyone is following the thread for themselves, getting the expansion valve off is almost impossible on these older vehicles due to rust. Also, if you are taking it off and replacing dryer, compressor, evaporator, might as well make the system new.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:40 PM   #14

This is a great read! thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No tips or advice, just this service manual: https://www.btrac.com/documents/svc-...i-feb-2011.pdf

IMO that shop did you a disservice.
FWIW, you can post your experience on https://rvservicereviews.com/

Tags
dash, itasca