Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Buying Used 2016 Vista 30T - any issues/watch-outs?

I have searched the forums to read about the mods and issues. I've been looking at a 2015 and 2016 unit but I am close to making an offer on a lightly used 2016 Vista with about 5600 miles on it. It has a 5 speed tranny so I would put the 5 Star Tuner on it. I've read about the slide-out issues. Has this been fixed in the 2016 models? Do the 2016 models have the Schwintek motors? How can I tell if this unit has it? Any other specific issues to be aware of or give reason to avoid this model? Thanks in advance!
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I believe most of the slide out issues have been on larger motor homes with a full length side out.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Schwintec mechanisms have a gear track that is solidly attached to the side of the slide and the gears on the track appear to be figure 8's that are connected.

The Power Gear gear track uses a classic rack and pinion design. The gear track is attached to the slide at both ends and does not touch the slide box between the connection points.

Early Power Gear mechanisms can have a design flaw that allows the motor housing to crack and the motor fails to operate. My Power Gear mechanisms have been replaced with an updated design.

My 2016 Winnebago Sightseeing had alot of defects. It took over a year and a trip around the US to find and fix the problems.

Here are some of the more memorable problems

Shower dran broken. Flooded coach first time the shower was used.

The ice maker filter was defective. Flooded opposite side of coach.

Day Night shade valance fell off wall.

Power Gear slide mechanisms failed at different times.

When I upgraded my phone I lost my list of fixes. There were about 40 items on my list. Some were minor and I fixed them myself.

My latest fix was to glue the hood hardware back on. A common fix for a Winnebago product.

I have owned a 2005 five speed Sightseer and a 2016 six speed Sightseer. IMHO the drivability of my six speed is worth the cost of the six speed upgrade.

Both MH's were (and are) fitted with Road Master trac bars, sway bars, and a Safe-T-Plus steering controls.

The 2016 six speed is much easier to drive. White knuckle driving is greatly reduced especially in high traffic conditions and narrow lanes. Construction zones are easier to navigate.

Whatever you choose it will be the right coach for you.

Enjoy your search and safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Wild Bill and Yellowboat! I looked at the RV again today and it has Schwintek slide outs (3). I have read about issues with both the Schwintek and Power Gear which are unfortunate.
Yellow Boat - I have a 2015 lightly used Rockwood travel trailer (bought it new) that has been back to the dealer for numerous warranty issues. Many were minor but I had three separate water leaks. I've had 4 RVs and they all had issues, except for my Wildcat 5th wheel. I fix much of the stuff myself if I can, too!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the "bugs" have been worked out of this one if I decide to buy it. I may get a Good Sam warranty as a precaution if it covers the slide-outs.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:42 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I may be wrong, but I thought the 2016s (2015 chassis) had the 6 speed. You might want to check the chassis year - you could be losing a year of Ford warranty if it turns out to be built on a 2014 chassis...
Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
you could be losing a year of Ford warranty if it turns out to be built on a 2014 chassis...
I think the warranty starts on the "in service" date, regardless of the chassis manufacture date.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
I have the same model as Yellowboat only the Winnebago Sightseer. Many many issues. It is now in for the 4th time for slide-out issues. It has been in the shop 9 times somewhere over 90 days including a 24 day stay at the factory. Spending 24 days at the factory was a real eye opener. One thing I can say is that Winnebago does done discriminate in poor quality workmanship between higher end diesel pushers and gassers. We have had 50 plus issues in all and still climbing.

FWIW, we love the 33c floor plan and the new 6-speed exceeded our expectations. But the coach workmanship is deplorable.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I thought the 2016s (2015 chassis) had the 6 speed. You might want to check the chassis year - you could be losing a year of Ford warranty if it turns out to be built on a 2014 chassis...
I believe you are correct: According to the 2016 Winnebago brochure, a Vista 30T is a Vista LX, riding on a Ford chassis, using a six-speed transmission. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think some of the 2015 chassis had the 5 speed tranny and some had the six speed tranny. On the Ford Forum, I copied the below info:

Look at the transmission position indicator. If it shows 1, 2, 3, D, N, R, P it is a five speed. If it shows 1, 2, 4, D, N, R , P it is a six speed.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thank you everyone! I've looked at three 2016 units and they all have the 5 speed transmission and Schwintek. I may hold off and look for a lightly used 2017 30T.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
Thank you everyone! I've looked at three 2016 units and they all have the 5 speed transmission and Schwintek. I may hold off and look for a lightly used 2017 30T.

Pretty strange sine the Winnebago brochure clearly states a Ford six-speed transmission on both the Vista and Vista LX chassis. The 2015 Vista brochure does show a five-speed as standard equipment. I'm guessing that some 2016 model-year Vista's were built on Ford model-year 2015 chassis. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I believe that you're correct. I think that is why we see mid-year model changes in a lot of RV brands/models...they are using up old inventory parts. Plus, many of the 2016 labeled models were sold in 2015.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

This thread is a bit old 7/2 and you may have already bought a 30T. We have a 2014 on the 2013 chassis and have had two major issues fixed and a new one to be fixed.

The first was metal shavings on the floor below the rear slide each time we brought in the passenger slide. Took pics and WBGO had the mechanism replaced under warranty. Our local CW shop did it. They no longer service the WBGO.

Our second issue was the hydraulic motor for the jacks made noise but didn't pump. They tell you how to manually move the jacks up and down but since the pump was working but not moving fluid it didn't work. That was again fixed by CW with a complete new unit under our extended warranty.

It seems these days nobody fixes or replaces just a motor.

The last issue is oil leaking from the chassis (Ford) AC compressor. There is no Freon leaking out because the AC is still working. Had it diagnosed by a shop owned and operated by one of my former students. The compressor has a crankcase pressure bleeder. I guess it relieves internal pressure in the CC. Well it's defective which then allows compressor oil to leak out.

I did attend a couple of clinics but since I never taught or serviced the AC systems I don't know it very well. If oil leaks from the clutch Freon will also leak. If it leaks from this relief valve no Freon escapes. It will stop working either when enough oil or Freon leaks out.

The compressor relief valve can't be replaced so the entire compressor will be replaced in a few weeks. Another great idea from the engineers.

Other than the usual ride and suspension improvements we are happy with the unit. We love the layout for the two of us, the 2 dogs and 1 cat. We opted for the table and chairs as opposed to the fixed dinette. We'll hit 30,000 miles before the end of the year.

We've had no water leaks and only the one slide issue so far. You do need to perform (annually) the proper lubrication of the slide mechanism located at the top on both sides and all the slides. There is a special lube and all that info is on line.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
You are wrong. I have a 2016 Vista 30T and it was one of the earliest models with the 2016 F53 chassis with the 6 speed tranny. I waited to order until I was sure I was getting the 2016 F53. Unlike Yellowboat's experience I did not have many problems with the coach. One major issue was gaps in the seals on all the slides for which the dealer reset all of them. Also, almost all of the LED lights failed. I was one of the principals in persuading Ford to fix the inoperable tow haul feature. Like Yellowboat I have owned F53s with both the 5 speed and 6 speed trannys and you could not make me a good enough deal to go back to the 5 speed. 5 star will not give you the performance of a 6 speed.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We drove the 5-speed a fair distance before and after the 5 STAR and there is still a big difference between having it on a 5 speed and not. Yes I'd sure like the 6-speed but we are stuck with the 5-speed and the 5 STAR tune because we don't want to spend more $$$$$$. This is a good ride and we'll spend the $$$ traveling.

After 3+ years of traveling often (24,000 miles) both week trips and 6-8 week trips. Longest trip was 4,000 miles and we believe we have most of the bugs discovered and fixed. We have settled into a decent camping routine. We are not changing RV's anytime soon (or never) just for a few more bells and whistles.

That's the plan with all vehicles. As technology changes more bells and whistles are added so buyers trade up. Many times those B&W's are just that bells and whistles. Many are not necessary or beneficial to the ride. Yes some are great like the LED lights, the 6-speed and MCD shades if they work well as designed.

Our 2014 Vista 30T came with MCD shades on all the windows EXCEPT the front windshield. That was the most needed and obvious place to have it. It was not even offered by WBGO as an option on that unit.

On the other hand a 1,000 watt inverter was an option. We got it and have used it once and that was just to see if it worked. We are almost always plugged in.

We planned on adding the front MCD shade and had to pay a $50 (deviation fee) so they would not put in the sun visors. That's almost funny. Paid to not work!!! We also paid a $300 (DF) to have a darker material for the couch and coach seats. All the other colors (light gray to white) offered were way to light for our tastes.

Man it would have been wonderful to have a nice "Air Ride" option for the F-53. Since Ford still does not believe the F-53 chassis needs a rear track bar I really doubt they will ever offer an air ride option.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Tejay, yes I did buy a 2016 Vista LX 30T and love it. I bought an extended warranty in case there are some issues and downloaded all of the Schwintek YouTube "how to" videos!
Hfbundy, I got the 6-speed tranny and got a chance to test it going over Donner Pass in the Sierras! It performed very well as we were loaded to almost 23,000lbs!
This forum and the one on IRV2 have been wonderful.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Lakejumper, I am happy that you found our feedback helpful. Just out of curiosity, did the tow haul feature on your transmission work? It would be interesting to know how many are out their that have not been fixed.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hfbundy, I don't think so as I didn't have asee noticeable difference. But then, I didn't know how it should behave as I came from a diesel truck with an Allison tranny. The truck downshifted when I hit the brakes and kept in the lower gears when climbing. Should it have downshifted on the declines when I hit the brakes? Downshifting when climbing seemed ok but not in the power zone where I expected. Will Ford be able to tell me if it has a service bulletin outstanding? Or do I need to let them know?
Thanks!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #19
Tony Traveler

I have a 2016 30T and have had for a year. Only a few problems that were fixed, an awning issue of it not coming out. Ended up putting more of those rubber type springs on it and now it works. Toilet had to be replaced (foot pedal kept falling off), but other wise, drives good, love all the room in it and have had no issues with the ford engine. Last trip was getting a little over 9 miles to the gallon. Have a little over 8,700 miles on it now.
ttestino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Lakejumper, you are doing a number on your brakes. You need to contact Ford. It is TSB 16-106. Yes it should shift down every time you touch and release your brakes when engaged. There are about a half dozen threads on tow haul in the irv2 Ford forum. At this point the most relevant is FOMOCO Fix Tow Haul. Also, you can refer to your operators manual for a basic description of what it should do.