Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

hfbundy,
Thanks for the info. We drove up and over the Sierras (Donner Pass) and back down from over 7000 ft. today. I had to hard brake more than I should have. I had to manually downshift into 4th to slow down and had difficulty keeping speed under 60 mph. Tow haul isn't working so I will follow-up with the Ford service bulletin. I do remember reading about the tow haul issue but couldn't recall which years/models. I will do a search and get it fixed! Thanks again to all for your help! Love this forum!
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Ttestino, thank you for your input. I'm impressed with your fuel mileage. In hindsight, I should have checked mine on this last trip but figured it would be very low as I was traveling mostly through the mountains!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Regarding the fuel economy, I get a little under 9 mpg running light and not towing my Subaru. Almost anywhere I go from home involves mountain driving. Loaded for the winter and towing the Subaru XV Crosstrek, I average 8 mpg. However, I don't believe most owners will achieve those numbers. I cruise at 55 to 62 mph and slow down when climbing long grades to keep the rpm at about 3,000 rpm.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

A quick note regarding your report "Also, almost all of the LED lights failed." We had the same experience. They would either dim or not work at all. Winnebago told me they had a lot of them that used a different kind of solder (from China) and has created problems for the factory on a large scale. I believe all but a few of our LED lights have been completely replaced the first year of ownership - and since, we have had no issues to now with the replacements a year on.
bangkokbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkokbanks View Post
A quick note regarding your report "Also, almost all of the LED lights failed." We had the same experience. They would either dim or not work at all. Winnebago told me they had a lot of them that used a different kind of solder (from China) and has created problems for the factory on a large scale. I believe all but a few of our LED lights have been completely replaced the first year of ownership - and since, we have had no issues to now with the replacements a year on.
Same experience with the lights. You are the first person who has stated a cause. Winnebago was making a courtesy extension of the warranty on the LED lights.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

the 2016 models may have a 2015 chassi or a 2016 under the coach. Check and see which it is. The 2016 chassi has a 6 speed, 2015 is a 5 speed. Most people I have talked to that have had both like the new 6 speed better. I have the 6 speed and like it.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

In regard to the Tow Haul issue, I read the FOMOCO thread and am thankful to hfbundy and others who pushed the issue with much persistence! I called every Ford dealership in my county (and adjacent two counties) and no one will "work" on motor homes even for a computer update as they state that they don't have room for motor homes on their service lot! I did find one 2 1/2 hours away and got an appointment for 10/5. Is there anything else that I should have them check, i.e, any other bulletins/recalls? I will have them check the brakes for wear but probably will have local cheaper shop do any necessary work.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I couldn't get my closest Ford dealer to update the ECU. The service manager told me that they would have done it if it had been a recall. For a bulletin he said they had to confirm the condition and if the bulletin did not fix the condition they had no room in the shop to work on it. I don't think the dealer who fixed it confirmed the condition. The service advisor asked me why I knew that it wasn't working and I told him that I am the guy who persuaded Ford to fix it. That appeared to be the end of the confirmation.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I got the Tow Haul mode fixed yesterday! It works as it should now. The good news is that the brakes are in good shape! The shop took it for a test drive to insure it was working properly. This should have been a recall item from Ford. Too bad more folks didn't complain. OTH, many don't know what they are missing.
Hfbundy, thanks again!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Lakejumper, you are welcome and I am happy you resolved this issue satisfactorily.