Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New to Us, Adventurer 38J, Loving It

We finally picked up our 2006 Adventurer 38J last Thursday. Loaded it up with groceries and gear and headed to Washington DC. Staying at Cherry Hill Park on the north side of the city. Beautiful RV park for sure.

The motorhome is in excellent condition inside and very good condition outside with only a few slight blemishes on the exterior. We spent a few hours wiping everything down with cleaner and leather conditioner and a few hours vacuuming this thing inside and out and we are super happy with the purchase. Love the floorplan of the 38J.

The rig had just over 29,000 miles on it. It was on consignment at a RV dealership in West point VA. As part of the purchase, the owner put on 6 brand new tires, 3 brand new batteries, replaced the entry step and replace the complete HWH hydraulic pump and motor assy. The coach came with a complete Pre Delivery Inspection and every major component functions as designed.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A few of the inside.

Even has a decent computer work station. LOL

Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've been tinkering with all the systems and have just about everything working now. The one thing that still has me puzzled is the in dash radio. I can't seem to figure out how to make it play through the surround sound speakers. The previous owner replaced the original TV's with cheaper flat panel displays that look to be at least 5 or 6 years old. None of the AV equipment worked when we picked up the coach Thursday. I pulled the TV out and went through all the cables and wires between the TV's, the Sony Surround Sound system and the input switching box.

TV's all work perfect and get plenty of OTA channels with the stock rooftop antenna. DVD and VCR also work. Sony Surround Sound DVD/Video player radio works perfect. TV doesn't play through the surround sound because this cheap TV has no audio output jacks.

As far as the in dash radio, I can't seem to figure out where/how the output from the radio gets to the surround sound system. There is an IR emitter box thingy up near the antenna switching box. There is one emitter that is aimed at the IR detector on the front of the Sony Surround Sound player. This IR emitter looks to be a factory installed component.

The speaker switch on the dash doesn't seem to do anything.

There is a small round black lense looking thing on the dash next to the "Check Antenna" lamp. This is plugged in to the back of the In Dash Radio. I'm guessing this is for the steering wheel mounted radio remote? Can anyone confirm that.

Can anyone shed so light as to how the in dash radio is supposed the be hooked to the Surround Sound receiver.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Very nice and looks very familiar.

-Tom, W3TLN
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

AKIQPILOT,
My Moho has a rocker switch labeled "radio-TV" To the left of the antenna amplifier button.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Great looking Motorhome. We had a 2007 Suncruiser 35A and loved it. My rocker switch was on the dash. Also, my speakers were above the driver and pass seat behind panels in the front corners. Also, radio worked much better when switch was in house position vice engine.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ok thanks for the replies Dan and Tom. I have the rocker switch on the dash for "tv-radio". Its plugged in but doesnt seem to change anything when i switch it.

MY main challenge is figuring out how/where the wires from the radio get to the surround sound receiver. I have identified most every wire behind the tv and none of them are from the radio. The wiring schematic for the tv and entertainment system dont show the radio wiring either from what i can tell

I will dig into it a little deeper with a closer look at all the wiring diagrams. Im sure its listed somewhere.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Love the colors, inside and out. Really like that floorplan too.

You seem knowledgeable, and quite handy. My 2012 Winnie Journey is different, so I don't think I'd be much help.

Sounds as though you are on the right track.

Congrats, and best of luck modifying/repairing your rig.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

One thing to look at, I found you need to have the Aux. rocket switch ( by the steps) in the "on" position to get sound out of the dash radio! Then you have rocket switch on the dash for radio/house, this gives you a choice of using the engine or house battery to power your dash radio. I use this when parked An using the radio, switching to the house battery. An the I still have the original DVD player in the entertainment center, without that the surround sound system for watching DVD's may not work and give you a "surround" sound! It has a large bundle of wires leading out to the speakers located around the coach. (PS: I have the cousin to your unit a 38T, now for 10 years)
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
One thing to look at, I found you need to have the Aux. rocket switch ( by the steps) in the "on" position to get sound out of the dash radio! Then you have rocket switch on the dash for radio/house, this gives you a choice of using the engine or house battery to power your dash radio. I use this when parked An using the radio, switching to the house battery. An the I still have the original DVD player in the entertainment center, without that the surround sound system for watching DVD's may not work and give you a "surround" sound! It has a large bundle of wires leading out to the speakers located around the coach. (PS: I have the cousin to your unit a 38T, now for 10 years)
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I tried the Aux rocker by the steps with no luck. I've been on the road the last two nights and haven't had a chance to look into it any more. Once I get parked for a couple of days I will restart my search for the wires from the dash radio to the surround sound receiver.

On another note. I stopped in Columbus Ohio and had some nice shiny Alcoa wheels installed on the coach. For the last 2 weeks I've been trying to convince my DW that our new motorhome needed $2000 worth of aluminum wheels to replace the perfectly good and very shiny steel/simulators that the coach came stock with. In the campgrounds, every time I saw a similar coach with Aluminum wheels I would point them out. My wife wasn't convinced and almost always replied with "ours look just as good".

I finally have my first set of Alcoas. If anyone would like more details on the Alcoa install on my WH-24 chassis you can read it here.

PS. The wife loves them and understands why I was so adamant about throwing some bling at our new motorhome.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

One more thing I'd like to add. I am very pleased with the fuel economy this coach is giving us. I've done two MPG comparisons in the last 2 days.

I drove 398 miles from Washington DC to Columbus Ohio and used 48 gallons of fuel for an average economy of 8.3MPG. That was through some very hilly country with more than a dozen 6% grades and hundreds of hills through Maryland, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. I drove 60MPH and I didn't use cruise control. I drove like I wasn't in any hurry trying to get the best fuel economy possible.

On the next leg from Columbus to Indianapolis the were almost no hills but there was a nasty 20mph head wind the whole time and the economy dropped to 7.8MPG. Drove 62MPH the whole way with cruise control on almost the entire way.

One other thing I noticed, the Average Fuel Economy numbers shown on the dash cluster are almost exactly correct compared to my calculated fuel economy. Definitely within a couple of tenths for sure.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Oh yea, one last thing. I'm now an expert at repairing the day night shades in motorhomes (hardy har har). We had a few shades that were uneven, a couple that were so loose they would fall down on their own, a few so tight they felt like you were going to break them trying to pull them up/down and a big 4' wide shade behind the couch that was completely blown out.

I read a few things online about adjusting the shade cords to get better performance out of the shades. Made those adjustments and all those shades work perfect now. For the big shade that was blown out, I bought a shade repair kit at the campground in DC and last night my wife and I pulled it down and sprawled it out across the living room floor and went to town replacing the cords. At first it seems fairly complex but I just followed the instructions and the job went perfectly. One thing I did to make threading the new cord through through all the little holes was to slightly melt the tip of the new cord so it was stiff like a needle and not frayed. The entire job on the big blind took about an hour and it works perfectly now.

PS. I did need a very long phillips screwdriver to get the shade removed from behind the valance. I bought a 16" long #2 phillips at Menards and that made removing the shade simple.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
One more thing I'd like to add. I am very pleased with the fuel economy this coach is giving us. I've done two MPG comparisons in the last 2 days.

I drove 398 miles from Washington DC to Columbus Ohio and used 48 gallons of fuel for an average economy of 8.3MPG. That was through some very hilly country with more than a dozen 6% grades and hundreds of hills through Maryland, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. I drove 60MPH and I didn't use cruise control. I drove like I wasn't in any hurry trying to get the best fuel economy possible.

On the next leg from Columbus to Indianapolis the were almost no hills but there was a nasty 20mph head wind the whole time and the economy dropped to 7.8MPG. Drove 62MPH the whole way with cruise control on almost the entire way.

One other thing I noticed, the Average Fuel Economy numbers shown on the dash cluster are almost exactly correct compared to my calculated fuel economy. Definitely within a couple of tenths for sure.
I did some mods to the Suncruiser that really made a difference. I had the Ultra power, iridium plugs, magnum plug wires and koni shocks installed. The performace and ride were greatly improved. This might be something you want to do down the road.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I did some mods to the Suncruiser that really made a difference. I had the Ultra power, iridium plugs, magnum plug wires and koni shocks installed. The performace and ride were greatly improved. This might be something you want to do down the road.
Ummm, yes for sure. This thing is completely stock both engine and suspension. It handles/rides terrible compared to our U35 Suncruiser back at home. The Suncruiser has all the suspension mods: Koni FSD's, Rear Track Bar, Front and Rear Anti Sway Bars, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, etc. The Suncruiser handles and rides like a dream.

I plan to order all the suspension/handling upgrade components and having them shipped to where we will store the coach for summer. Late this fall when we are back down I will install all the hardware.

I will order up the plugs and wires at the same time. Simple enough to upgrade the spark side of things while I'm in the wrenching mood.

My plan is to do the all the Ultra RV Products motor mods soon too but I need to stay on budget. Hahaha
Old 05-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

LOL, I certainly understand that! Budget went out the window in February for us, but we really like the 4369 floorplan. Enjoy that good looking Winnie.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
LOL, I certainly understand that! Budget went out the window in February for us, but we really like the 4369 floorplan. Enjoy that good looking Winnie.
Thanks Tom

Oh man, that is a beautiful coach. A 2016 Ventana parked right behind us for 4 days in DC. It was such a beautiful coach. I don't know the exact model it was but the guy said he paid north of $680k for it. It was nothing short of amazing without being over the top. No propane, heated floors with a bad boy Penguim hydronic system or something like that. Emergency exit on the rear passenger side in front of the master bath. It was very very cool.

He said the best part of the Newmar:. He's owned the coach for almost 18 months and not one single issue with it. Nothing has malfunctioned or acted up. He said he had a 2015 Tour before this and it was in the dealer every couple of weeks getting one thing or another looked at. He traded it in on the Newmar and has never been happier.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have an 06, 38J. The radio and tv play the surround sound thru the VHS/DVD player. Mine quit working and I removed it and replaced it with a DVD player. I have not found an economical replacement for the surround sound.
Oachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear. Mine still working! Let us know if you find a replacement surround system
Old 10-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We are picking up a new to us 2006 Adventurer 38J this weekend. The current owners put new tires on it for us and we hired someone to go inspect and test drive it. He found that there is a crack in the windshield, there is some peeling clear coat and it needs a new water pump other than that the inspector said it is a good coach. I am nervous and excited at the sametime.
Cyicamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:38 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyicamp View Post
We are picking up a new to us 2006 Adventurer 38J this weekend. The current owners put new tires on it for us and we hired someone to go inspect and test drive it. He found that there is a crack in the windshield, there is some peeling clear coat and it needs a new water pump other than that the inspector said it is a good coach. I am nervous and excited at the sametime.
Exciting! Been 10 years now with our 38T I too remember the day we decided to buy and then bringing it home for the first time. It’s goning to be tons of fun. We have 50000 miles and going strong.
Happy Trails...see ya on the road...

Tags
adventurer, vent