Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bad inverter? 2016 Adventurer 37F

Hello All
I think I may have a bad inverter. I suddenly lost power to all the 120 VA/C outlets that normally stay powered on by the inverter. So lost the refrigerator , microwave , TV's. I have everything I need powered via extension cords off the shore power 20 amp and since the whole coach is still on 50 amp shore power. All of my outlets that are not powered by the inverter are working fine.
My house batteries are now reading 10.9 volts. So is there a way I test my inverter? or could it be the batteries? I have 4 agm's from the factory I believe.
It's a 2016 Adventurer 37F. I appreciate any help.

2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
scottybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
CO Sunova Owner

Inverter Issue

I've had that problem before. The first thing to check is the GFCI reset located right on the inverter itself. Find it and reset it. That solved my Winnebago problem. If your inverter doesn't have one, then it probably is the inverter.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
Site Team

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. But at less than 11v of battery power then your inverter certainly wouldn’t power anything and may need reset.

Charging or replacing those batteries would give you more answers.

Check the Magnum owner’s manual for resetting instructions - but don’t try to use the inverter at all for power with your batteries that low.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sloow up before spending lots of time and money!!!
This is a bit like saying my car won't move, so the engine is bad!
Take a bit to understand what is going on first to avoid lots of expense.

You really have what is called an inverter charger and that is a two way street as it does several things. One is that it uses AC power coming in from the cord or genset to make DC to run those 12V things as well as charge the batteries.
It uses DC power from the batteries to make AC to feed the inverter load center.
It also takes in AC from the main load center/breakers and passes it to the secondary inverter panel.
So when you say the batteries are low, it will not be making AC without a good DC supply! You might want to put a small charger on them to get them back to avoid damage from running them dead if the repair may take very long??
Second point you tell us is that it is not passing AC along either, so that points us to the good chance it is simply not getting AC to pass along.

This is a small snip of the load centers for the RV with 7th digit of 1 in the serial number. You may need to use a different drawing if you have a second digit of 2 and this doesn't seem to match what you have??

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	184744

This is the full drawing set to go direct for a better view and to get the full picture of which equipment is fed and how, also to make sure you are looking at the correct drawing for the early or later model RV for that year:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_189384.pdf

Look for your correct model and go to the 110 AC sections where the complete story is shwon as well as the connections for the inverter charger.

For location and to get a look at what it might take to get to the item, look at the parts drawings here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Name:	invert.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	184745

I would first look to see the 110 AC power is going from the main load center TOWARD the inverter charger and then look for AC power coming back FROM it to power that group.
As a second move if power is going but not coming, I would move to the inverter to check it. Likely harder to get to it?? But the drawing does show what to expect on each connection, if you do get down to it being a problem, check hot, neutral, and grounds going in as well as coming out, for loose connections but I might expect a tripped breaker at one panel or the other.

Yes, it COULD be a bad inverter charger but less likely than a small part/defect??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	invert2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	184746  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by navnaz View Post
I've had that problem before. The first thing to check is the GFCI reset located right on the inverter itself. Find it and reset it. That solved my Winnebago problem. If your inverter doesn't have one, then it probably is the inverter.
Thanks Navnaz
There is an outlet right in the bay where the inverter is. It's not actually on the inverter but I will check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’m not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. But at less than 11v of battery power then your inverter certainly wouldn’t power anything and may need reset.

Charging or replacing those batteries would give you more answers.

Check the Magnum owner’s manual for resetting instructions - but don’t try to use the inverter at all for power with your batteries that low.
Thanks Creativepart
I think You have the same coach as me. Basically even though I'm hooked up to 50 amp shore power. Sometime yesterday the house batteries stopped charging. I only found out because I had the vacuum plugged in to the outlet beside the passenger seat and suddenly lost power. So I started checking breakers and finally looked on the magnum display panel and saw the house batteries were at 11.3 volts, this morning they are at 10.3.
So in my limited knowledge of the charging system I'm guessing that either the inverter stopped sending a charge to the batteries. Or the batteries all 4 stopped charging for some reason. I think the only other component in that system would be the battery cutoff switch. I was wondering if that switch could go bad and not allow the inverter to charge the batteries.
So I guess I need to somehow make sure 120 V a/c power is coming into the inverter. Then if the inverter is sending out 12 V d/c to the batteries.
I do have a multi meter though I've never used one very much so I'm never sure I'm using it correctly.
I would very much appreciate any tips on where to test. Or if someone knows that all my symptoms point right to a bad inverter or it's time to replace those 7 year old batteries. I don't have a battery charger with me. I do have a pretty big jumper pack, but I don't think I can charge the house batteries with that.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #6
Site Team

It's super easy to get to the inverter on an Adventurer 37F - it's in the basement compartment directly in front of the mid-entry door. It's mounted upside down on the ceiling of the compartment.

The only issue - for me at least - is that it's a very heavy item hanging from the ceiling held up there with 4-bolts. Plus it's bulky.

There is a rotary cutoff on the back wall of that compartment. If that gets turned off then you would lose all house battery charging AND inverter output. The rotary cutoff disconnects the inverter from the house batteries. If you've had service done recently or any house battery changes or work then that cutoff may have been set to OFF. So, you might check that first.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Thanks ScottyBee, That info helped.

If you are on 50-amp shore power... and you are certain that that is working properly (the microwave runs) then yes your Inverter should be charging your batteries. The only things that would interfere with that are the rotary cutoff on the wall in the basement compartment next the inverter. OR the "House" disconnect on the left side of the stairwell is off.

If those things are on then it could be the inverter. Check that reset button on the front of the inverter. I don't know if that's popped if the charger will still charge the batteries.

It is possible that solenoid for the House disconnect in the stairwell has malfunctioned. It's not super common, but not unusual. To test that, switch that on and off and see if you hear the click of the solenoid connecting and the green light goes on and off. One side note - that house battery disconnect needs 12v power to operate and if it doesn't see that power it can stop working. I would assume it would still work at 10v, but I'm not sure.

Do you have or can you get a spare 12v battery charger to put on your house batteries? They will be ruined if left at 10v for any length of time.

Put a positive charging cable on the 1st battery's positive terminal and the negative charging cable on the 4th battery's negative terminal. This will charge the entire battery bank at the same time - it will take 24 to 48 hours to recharge.

The steps I'd take right now are:
1. Check the rotary disconnect in the inverter compartment insure it's on.
2. Get a charger on the house batteries
3. Once above 12.5v start testing things
4. Test the house disconnect solenoid in the stairwell
5. See if the Inverter circuit breaker on the end of the inverter needs Reset
While doing those thing... call Magnum Support and talk to a support person there.

Toll-free: 800-553-6418
Phone: 1-651-653-7000, Option 2

Here's the inverter trouble shooting guide. I'd check out these things but get a charger on those batteries.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/ge...roubleshooting

Here's the Owner's Manual link:

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...eries%29_0.pdf

If you don't have a battery charger and can't borrow one you should drive to go get one. Not a battery maintainer but a battery charger. Every hour you sit with those batteries at 10v the less likely they can be saved.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Sloow up before spending lots of time and money!!!
This is a bit like saying my car won't move, so the engine is bad!
Take a bit to understand what is going on first to avoid lots of expense.

You really have what is called an inverter charger and that is a two way street as it does several things. One is that it uses AC power coming in from the cord or genset to make DC to run those 12V things as well as charge the batteries.
It uses DC power from the batteries to make AC to feed the inverter load center.
It also takes in AC from the main load center/breakers and passes it to the secondary inverter panel.
So when you say the batteries are low, it will not be making AC without a good DC supply! You might want to put a small charger on them to get them back to avoid damage from running them dead if the repair may take very long??
Second point you tell us is that it is not passing AC along either, so that points us to the good chance it is simply not getting AC to pass along.

This is a small snip of the load centers for the RV with 7th digit of 1 in the serial number. You may need to use a different drawing if you have a second digit of 2 and this doesn't seem to match what you have??

Attachment 184744

This is the full drawing set to go direct for a better view and to get the full picture of which equipment is fed and how, also to make sure you are looking at the correct drawing for the early or later model RV for that year:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_189384.pdf

Look for your correct model and go to the 110 AC sections where the complete story is shwon as well as the connections for the inverter charger.

For location and to get a look at what it might take to get to the item, look at the parts drawings here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Attachment 184745

I would first look to see the 110 AC power is going from the main load center TOWARD the inverter charger and then look for AC power coming back FROM it to power that group.
As a second move if power is going but not coming, I would move to the inverter to check it. Likely harder to get to it?? But the drawing does show what to expect on each connection, if you do get down to it being a problem, check hot, neutral, and grounds going in as well as coming out, for loose connections but I might expect a tripped breaker at one panel or the other.

Yes, it COULD be a bad inverter charger but less likely than a small part/defect??

Thanks Richard
My coach is the later serial number with 2 for the 7th digit but the breaker panel looks the same.
I have a sort of foggy general understanding of what you're saying with the testing. So I can lift the bed up and check for 120 V a/c on the back side of that breaker. But I get lost when you talk about power coming back. The coming and going part.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks ScottyBee, That info helped.

If you are on 50-amp shore power... and you are certain that that is working properly (the microwave runs) then yes your Inverter should be charging your batteries. The only things that would interfere with that are the rotary cutoff on the wall in the basement compartment next the inverter. OR the "House" disconnect on the left side of the stairwell is off.

If those things are on then it could be the inverter. Check that reset button on the front of the inverter. I don't know if that's popped if the charger will still charge the batteries.

It is possible that solenoid for the House disconnect in the stairwell has malfunctioned. It's not super common, but not unusual. To test that, switch that on and off and see if you hear the click of the solenoid connecting and the green light goes on and off. One side note - that house battery disconnect needs 12v power to operate and if it doesn't see that power it can stop working. I would assume it would still work at 10v, but I'm not sure.

Do you have or can you get a spare 12v battery charger to put on your house batteries? They will be ruined if left at 10v for any length of time.

Put a positive charging cable on the 1st battery's positive terminal and the negative charging cable on the 4th battery's negative terminal. This will charge the entire battery bank at the same time - it will take 24 to 48 hours to recharge.

The steps I'd take right now are:
1. Check the rotary disconnect in the inverter compartment insure it's on.
2. Get a charger on the house batteries
3. Once above 12.5v start testing things
4. Test the house disconnect solenoid in the stairwell
5. See if the Inverter circuit breaker on the end of the inverter needs Reset
While doing those thing... call Magnum Support and talk to a support person there.

Toll-free: 800-553-6418
Phone: 1-651-653-7000, Option 2

Here's the inverter trouble shooting guide. I'd check out these things but get a charger on those batteries.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/ge...roubleshooting

Here's the Owner's Manual link:

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...eries%29_0.pdf

If you don't have a battery charger and can't borrow one you should drive to go get one. Not a battery maintainer but a battery charger. Every hour you sit with those batteries at 10v the less likely they can be saved.

Thanks for those links.
A few things I should have mentioned in my first post. We just drove the coach and toad from central Ohio down to Tomball TX. We stayed in campgrounds with full hookups the 3 nights of the trip. We have been in the campground here since last Thursday on full hookup. Everything had been working as normal until yesterday. So the battery disconnect rotary switch had been on. I have now turned it off in hopes it may help stop the batteries from draining further. With the microwave being one of the things that is powered through the inverter when boondocking it is not working now. The residential fridge both indoor TV's and the outlet by the bed and by the passenger seat are all off.
I am heading out now to get a battery charger and try to get them charged back up to 12+ volts. Should I put the charger on the positive terminal of the first battery in series and the negative terminal of the 4th battery?

Old 12-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybee View Post
Thanks Richard
My coach is the later serial number with 2 for the 7th digit but the breaker panel looks the same.
I have a sort of foggy general understanding of what you're saying with the testing. So I can lift the bed up and check for 120 V a/c on the back side of that breaker. But I get lost when you talk about power coming back. The coming and going part.
Okay, no big thing to be confused on thiings we don't do a lot of very often.
The idea is thta since the inverter is not feeding ac on into the outlets and other things, nor is it charging the batteries, there is a good chance that the problem is not in that piece of equipment since two different functions are not working.
Normally we would expect the part where it takes in AC to make DC might fail OR the part where it uses DC to make AC might fail but those two functions use different parts inside the box. The third thing is when it just takes in AC and passes it through and that is easier to check. So when two different functions in the "box" fail at the same time, it is more likely to be one single things that has to work and those are often outside the "box"!
It won't make DC if it doesn't get AC in. It also can't pass the ac through if it is not getting it.

What I meant is that AC power has to come in from either the generator or shore power to the main load center breaker, pass through that breaker to the inverter and come back to a second breaker at the inverter load center.

Name:	inverter 4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	184747

When you have some AC items like air, microwave, etc working, we can say power is getting to the main breaker box, so the question becomes why it is not getting from there to the inverter breaker, through it to the inverter and all the way back to the other breaker at the inverter load center?
I would not start with the question of why the inverter is not making AC using the batteries as that will not work when the batteries are low. The explanation for the batteries being low may be simply that the charger section of the inverter charger is not working!

I would ass ue the breakers are easier to get to than the inverter, (hanging unside down and backwards, perhaps?) so I would test at the breaker at the main load center to make sure there is AC power leaving there toward the inverter. IF good, then check the breaker at the inverter load center and it SHOULD be coming back after going through the inverter!
That power coming back from the inverter is what is then passed on to the other breakers in that inverter load center and on out to the things that are not working.

Things in order that have to happen to get power to the things working/not working off the inverter:
1. power has to come fromt he power cord to the load center.
2. At that main load center, the breaker has to be good to pass the power on to the inverter.
3. The power has to pass through the inverter and get back to the inverter load center breaker.
4. That inverter breaker has to get the power, pass it on to the other breakers in that load center and they have to pass it on to the items to use.

Kind of like sending your son from New York to Miami and he doesn't come back? Before we blame the airplane, we have to know he actually got on to go and also got on to come back!!

There are lots of small points in between besides the airplane! We just have to look for the spot where things did not happen as expected.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

This is the section of drawing which shows what works through the inverter.
Click to get a better view.

Name:	invert bad copy.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	184749

For battery charger on the coach batteries, just locate the coach group and add the charger on any one of the coach batteries as they are all connected together. Positive lead to positive post and negative lead from charger to negative post and the power will flow to any others as the cables are connecting them together.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Richard is, of course, technically correct. However, the accepted "balanced" way to charge is to put the Positive Charging cable on the No. 1 battery's positive post and the Negative Charging cable on the No. 4 battery's negative post.

But charger leads put on pos/neg posts of any one battery will eventually charge all 4 of the batteries up.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

IF OEM wiring, I would assume two 12 volt wired in parallel and use either of the positive and negative posts for charging.
Click this snip to get a better view.

Name:	batt conn.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	184753

Red to red and black to black as they are the same electrically when this close together and tied with big cables.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:18 PM   #14
Site Team

Hey Richard, that’s not the wiring diagram for the Adventurer 37F with a residential fridge.

They come with a 2,000w inverter and 4-100amp AGM batteries wired in parallel on the driver’s side of the Coach and one FLA Chassis battery under the stairs on the passenger’s side of the Coach. The extra batteries and larger inverter are there to accommodate the 110v residential fridge.

The models with an RV fridge have the layout in your diagram and a 1,000w inverter (only) plus a regular converter/charger.

Here is the Winnebago Supplied battery diagram for the Adventurer 37F w/Residential Fridge. I have colored the wiring and labeled it for clarity. I've numbered the batteries to relate the relative positions for balanced charging:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ColorBatteryWiringNumbered.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	184754  
Old 12-07-2022, 07:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Okay, not something I have info on, so I'll back out.
Not sure how one gets 12volts out of that drawing though!
Old 12-07-2022, 07:11 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Okay, not something I have info on, so I'll back out.
Not sure how one gets 12volts out of that drawing though!
EEK! My bad I picked up the wrong drawing. That will be corrected ASAP.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
EEK! My bad I picked up the wrong drawing. That will be corrected ASAP.
OK, that initial battery drawing I posted was so wrong - it was for a 48-volt solar storage battery. I got it from the Magnum owners manual and didn't even look at the battery cabling. I was so wrong and apologize for the confusion caused.

Thanks Richard for pointing that out. You were absolutely correct.

I have replaced that drawing with the actual Winnebago supplied battery diagram for the RV model the OP has.

I'll add it here again for reference only:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ColorBatteryWiringNumbered.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	184755  
Old 12-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zea...usp=share_link

So here was the problem. Looks like these wire nuts have been rubbing and finally made contact.

My neighbor here is very knowledgeable RV'er and suggested opening the little access panel on the inverter and the problem very conveniently revealed itself.

Morich & Creativepart I really appreciate what you guy's do on the forum. Taking time and effort to help out dipsh!ts like me. You guy's were both right about it being something small.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Super! Always glad to hear what somebody else found as a way to remind me to look carefully before spending the big bucks!

One of my first jobs before I got out of high school was helping a TV tech on service calls and one of the really touchy things was when we went out to the house and had to plug the TV in!!
It's the small stuff that really gets us down!
Old 12-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Glad you found it! As I was reading, I was going to suggest the main inverter/charger fuse as a possible culprit, but it was the dreaded wire nuts. They have NO business on an RV (or a boat), where constant motion and vibrations are in play. There is nothing wrong with proper crimp connectors on AC lines, and in fact they are far superior to those antiquated wire nuts (that the rest of the world doesn't use).
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, vent, adventurer