Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Taking Delivery of 2014 Vista 31KE

Just purchased a 31KE and will be taking delivery next weekend. I'm interested in anyone that has the same unit and any of their experiences.
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I can't help at all on the Vista platform, but I have the identical floor plan on an Itasca Class C 31K. We love the amount of room in the main living area, and the fact that is totally useable with the slide retracted. Best of luck with your new MH.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We bought one a month ago. Haven't taken it anywhere yet but we have been getting it ready for a summer long trip to new england.

Noticed there was no sewer hose storage so installed a 5" pvc fence post underneath.

Installed bedlift kit (small) to assist access under bed.

Accidently killed engine battery. When storing, make sure radio power switch is set to coach battery and coach battery disconnect is off. Also make sure dash lights dimmer switch is not rolled all the way up (energizes a relay to power drive rside reading light). Install a battery disconnect switch.

Changed all interior light bulbs to LED.

Installed a 1000 watt msw inverter and ran extension cord underneath to wet bay where coach power cord is. Removed inverter when TV buzzed. 600 watt pure sine wave inverter is in the mail. Will install in storage bay adjacent to batteries.

Removed TV from wall and installed adapters and cables to allow access to HDMI port Vizio TV provided has no side HDMI port.

Installed 20" TV on wall in bedroom. Entire wall panel had to be removed to allow installation of wood bracing for TV mount.

Clarified with Winnebago that this rig was built on an 18,000 lb chassis vice what the brochure states and vice what one of the weight stickers said (see my post about this). This means that over 4000 lbs cargo carrying capacity is available. That's important to know especially since this model has such a huge amount of basement storage available.

Did the cheap handling fix with no added parts.

Slide was sqeaking but it stopped when the weather warmed up.

Only punch list items are a leaking fresh water tank drain valve, chipping paint on edges of a couple of basement storage doors, and damaged screw holes (overtightened?) on the instrument panel dasboard cover.

Traded in a 24' class C for this unit and except for the heebee jeebees about driving it with the toad, can't wait to hit the road. We picked this unit for the floor plan, tank sizes and basement storage (we can even put our bikes in there!)
Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Forgot to mention also installed a fantastic fan in the lounge area. The OEM vent is non-powered but the penetration was prepped for a powered fan. ie there's 12 volt power there.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am interested in the bedlift kit you mention! Need to hear more on that.I also want to add a strut on the bay door just behind the step. We put about 6K going to NJ/NY & back to Tucson, AZ ran perfect - awesome trip! Don in Tucson
dbaer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Bedlift Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaer70 View Post
I am interested in the bedlift kit you mention! Need to hear more on that.I also want to add a strut on the bay door just behind the step. We put about 6K going to NJ/NY & back to Tucson, AZ ran perfect - awesome trip! Don in Tucson
dbaer here's some pics. Note the 90 lb struts and the extra wood bracing I added on the bottom connection. I actually tried the 120 lb struts first but they were too strong even with my heavy mattress topper.

The kit is available at camping world but I bought direct from the manufacturer at hatchlift.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110435.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	71133   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110436.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	71134  

Name:	P1110437.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	71135   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110438.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	71136  

Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

EMCEE,
We just procession of our 2015 31KE, and took it on a maiden voyage for four nights. Only problem was a slight leak under the bathroom sink, a 1/4 turn on the hot water line and all was solved. But how in the world do you get to the back of the TV to attach HDMI cable, I yanked and pulled but can't get it to budge. Also it looks like I see a AVI cable coming off the back and disappearing into the upper cabinet, where does that go?
Thanks for all your ideas. The 18,000 lbs chassis is interesting, I have only seen 16,000 lbs. everywhere, almost didn't buy because of that, hope you are right.

Dennis
willide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

willide, looking at the A/V drawing looks like the AVI cable from the TV goes to the passenger side overhead cabinet. There is a note about option 19V - Radio AM/FM Stero CD player.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Grant is correct, the AV cable was in the right side cabinet, you have to pull 3 screws in that compartment to access it. The TV we had, had the inputs on the left side looking at the TV, wasn't hard to hook up an HDMI cable. Ours had 16k chassis.
dbaer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the great inputs..... can't wait to run over to the storage and check it out. I don't remember any screws in that cabinet, only a little access whole by the 120vac out let.... but I probably missed it. I also hooked up to the cable at the park I was at, but it didn't work, I don't think it is connected to the TV either, and the only outlet I see is in the front overhead cabinet, but I will take a look when I remove the TV to see if their is a coax connected back their, but this whole TV thing is not very well done. Oh yes, one more thing, there was a small remote in the bag of manuals, any one know what that is for, I thought maybe the Jensen CD/AM/FM radio, but it didn't control anything, but maybe the little flat pack battery is dead. Sorry for all the questions, I guess my $995.00 PID wasn't all that good.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willide View Post
EMCEE,
We just procession of our 2015 31KE, and took it on a maiden voyage for four nights. Only problem was a slight leak under the bathroom sink, a 1/4 turn on the hot water line and all was solved. But how in the world do you get to the back of the TV to attach HDMI cable, I yanked and pulled but can't get it to budge. Also it looks like I see a AVI cable coming off the back and disappearing into the upper cabinet, where does that go?
Thanks for all your ideas. The 18,000 lbs chassis is interesting, I have only seen 16,000 lbs. everywhere, almost didn't buy because of that, hope you are right.

Dennis
My 31KE came with a vizio TV that has hdmi ports only on the back. Look between the top of the tv and the bottom of the cabinet above to see the screws connecting the upper mount section to the wall.

On the other hand I have confirmed the 18K chassis on this unit but it's the only one I know of that was delivered with that option.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

BTW that small remote is probably the one for the backup camera monitor.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Another update to mod list:

Replaced kitchen sink with a single bowl stainless steel sink and a new single handle faucet with integrated pull out sprayer.

Installed fantastic fan in bathroom

Odometer went past 10,000 miles yesterday
Old 06-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ok... Removed the TV, there is a coax cable connected and the yellow red and white avi cable connected, so I went back to the cabinet above the windshield on the passenger side, there is an access hole there, and also a black metal plate with four screws. I removed that and sure enough there was the AVI cable, very strange, so I ran it through the access hole, not that I will ever use it. As for the cabinet above the TV there was no screws but the inner liner just pulled lose, the coax cable, and AVI cable just run through there, up into the roof, so there must be a splitter somewhere and it then runs to the bed room and the connection in the basement hookup. So I'm hoping either the coax I was using was bad or the campsite hook up was bad, or there is a switch somewhere to switch between the over air antennae and the cable input, you would think this would be documented in the 20lbs. of manuals we get.
Oh well I get it figured out some day.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Just about everything you need to know about your MH electrical, plumbing,and what not, is available online on Winnebago's web site.
Winnebago Industries
Old 06-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

willide, You have to turn off the power to the OTA antenna for the cable signal to be routed to the TV. There is a small led and switch on the wall plate in the drawing below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31KE TV Wall Plate.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	97969  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote