Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 Sunstar 31KE DVD Player / levelling jacks

This is probably pretty simple, but our new-to-us (Sept) DVD player has us confused.

We were showing our neighbor the RV today, so pulled it onto a relatively level spot on the driveway, leveled it, then extended the slide.

Up until today, we never tried the DVD player. So, I brought-out a DVD and put it in the dash unit (Pioneer touch-screen). We selected component on the TV source screen and the "don't drive and watch" screen came up. It took me a minute or two to digest what it was really saying. 1: apply parking brake 2: release brake 3: re-apply parking brake, then hit OK.

Since we already had it leveled and the slide extended, we already had the PB on. So I released it, and of course all the jacks retracted, with the slide still out. After I submitted this thread, it hit me: The engine was still running. As expected, once I re-applied the PB, all was good with the DVD on the TV.

So... How do you avoid the jacks retracting during this TV setup? Does it remember that you've done the PB cycle if you haven't moved it, on a day to day basis? Should I pull into a spot, put a DVD in, cycle the PB, THEN level and extend the slide? That seems a bit cart before the horse.... Would the jacks not retract if the engine was off?
Old 03-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There is a device that you can buy on Amazon or other places, that connects to the Pioneer unit harness in place of the parking brake connection and bypasses that function.

As you found, to use the DVD, you are supposed to apply, release, apply the brake to enable it.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

This was a factory defect on early 2016 models. You cannot watch a movie with the jacks down. I wrote a letter to Winnebago and had several discussions with my dealer. Winnebago had corrected on later units, but refused to correct it on mine. My dealer was going to bypass the interlock and then changed its mind because it would violate a federal code. I gave up and was going to buy a stand alone DVD player, but decided I could go without DVD movies when I was parked. Their response was pretty disappointing.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks