Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2004 Brave HWH jack problem

My jacks store fine. But the last two times I've moved the RV, within 20 miles the warning DING DING DING goes off and it is the driver's rear jack slipping down 1/2 to 1" depending on how much further I drive. Is this a problem with the springs which look fine? Or something else?

I am a 9 year full timer and a recent widow. My husband fixed everything and I am lost without him but do not want to give up my life on the road.

I hope you can help me or tell me where else to go for help.

Thanks in advance.
Sherry Boyd
Sboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Could be the springs but would make sure fluid level is where it should be when all jack are retracted to store position. I the fluid level is at the full mark then it could be a bad spring or a bad jack pump. Just what I would check first.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I might guess it is something more difficult. My line of thought without actually ever having that problem, is that if there are springs to retract the jacks as the pressure is released, they should also hold it up until the pump adds pressure to extend them.
All that thinking makes me wonder if there is not a control or valve problem making the jack get pressure.
always worst time to check the fluid level as somebody may have too much but I would not expect too little to cause the jack to come down. Worth taking a look at the book before pulling the lid off as it can be done wrong.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you overfill your reservoir, it will self-correct itself by venting the excess out through the cap, making a mess on the ground.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The best way for you to get a definitive answer to your problem is to send a private message (PM) to azpete, a Winnieowner who also works for HWH. He's helped me and many other Winnieowner's out:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ete-13211.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Wet raded our 2004 Brave for a 2015 Suncruiser last year and I am ready to trade back! I have to agree with BobC. Call HWH or the authorized dealer in Elkart; In. area. We had some issues with our solenoids in the Brave and tried several things but the authorized dealer in Elkart was very helpful and knowledgeable. So was HWH but they were really busy. It sounds to me like a spring or solenoid issue letting that jack slip. My advice is go to the source for questions and repairs. Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help. I'd give you the name of the HWH dealer, but we are on the road and the info is at home. I applaud your ambition to maintain the life style.
Safe Travels
shaneotr
shaneotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
Former Winnebago Class A

I had that happening on my '03 Adventurer. Replaced the springs. Issue resolved....
Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the "Ding, Ding, Ding" issue.

The alarm going off on my 2017 Vista 29VE was due to low volume of hydraulic fluid. It was just at the sensor alarm level. So when I would hit rough patch of road it would trigger the alarm. The alarm sensor is in the fluid tank, not on the jacks.
bwlowry615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2001 Dutch Star with the HWH jacks...
When I bought it I retracted or Parked the jacks...
About 20 or so miles down the road the screaming alarm went off...
I had no idea what was going on as I was a greenhorn..
On my trip to South Carolina from Texas I heard a loud metal rattle while going through Atlanta, 5 miles down the road another loud rattle... (no one behind me)...
I had lost a round Foot & then a spring... (Atlanta had a BAD interstate & the rock & roll must have been rough enough to shake the Foot & spring off...
My jack springs were WEAK...
Bought a new foot & spring sets from HWH...
Hopefully my next road trip will be a Quiet one...
Bob

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Even with a leaky solenoid the jacks should not extend without the control panel being activated turning the pump on since the constant pressure from the springs should keep them up unless minor pressure is being built up in the system from engine heat and forcing them down.

It may be time to check for dirty solenoids and to verify that there are no loose springs. Its really a hands and eyes on thing while wearing your Dick Tracy hat. I have to admit that sometimes I get lazy and just call one of the decent mobile service guys over when he is already at the campground and 9 out of 10 times he will have the parts to deal with the issue which often with creeping HWH jacks may be an simple o-ring.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 Vectra with HWH jacks. We were told by our dealer and a tech at HWH to keep the "store" button on. If we forget, a few miles down the road we will get the alarm.
BransGram08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

the motor home is 16 years old and is used full time. I would expect the jacks are down all the time which will weaken the springs a lot. Just replace the springs and I'm sure your problem will go away.
Flagstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, hwh