Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

It appears we might finally have our long-standing slow jack retraction issue fixed.

We have had two new sets of springs installed over a two year period and that always helped the retraction time somewhat, but that never was a complete fix.

The HWH tech told me that about when our coach was built (Feb '05), a bad batch of jacks were sent to coach builders where the jack sleeve compressed the seal too much and caused binding on retraction. The fix for us was the warranty replacement of all four jacks with rebuilt ones. The tech timed the retraction of the replacements, and they were all retracted in 37 seconds (about 80 degree air temp.)

Unfortunately, one jack now makes a buzzing noise on extension, but the tech said that is probably just the seal vibrating and isn't a problem. We'll see.

If you ever come here for service, they have about ten electric hookups (you share six power pedestals - one guy gets 50 amp, your neighbor gets 30 amp) and they are first come, first served.

We were treated to the famous HWH Free Lunch today. They load the service customers into two vans and haul you about two miles to a wonderful local restaurant. Our host said "order whatever you want" and the food was wonderful. This place is noted for its pies and you have your choice of about ten different kinds of pies for dessert. The pie serving sizes are huge! (Jane and I passed on the pie )

We just missed Bob Gregory - he left here yesterday afternoon. We will be in Branson Friday for the iRV2 rally and get to see him then (and some of the other forum members we hope!)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It appears we might finally have our long-standing slow jack retraction issue fixed.

We have had two new sets of springs installed over a two year period and that always helped the retraction time somewhat, but that never was a complete fix.

The HWH tech told me that about when our coach was built (Feb '05), a bad batch of jacks were sent to coach builders where the jack sleeve compressed the seal too much and caused binding on retraction. The fix for us was the warranty replacement of all four jacks with rebuilt ones. The tech timed the retraction of the replacements, and they were all retracted in 37 seconds (about 80 degree air temp.)

Unfortunately, one jack now makes a buzzing noise on extension, but the tech said that is probably just the seal vibrating and isn't a problem. We'll see.

If you ever come here for service, they have about ten electric hookups (you share six power pedestals - one guy gets 50 amp, your neighbor gets 30 amp) and they are first come, first served.

We were treated to the famous HWH Free Lunch today. They load the service customers into two vans and haul you about two miles to a wonderful local restaurant. Our host said "order whatever you want" and the food was wonderful. This place is noted for its pies and you have your choice of about ten different kinds of pies for dessert. The pie serving sizes are huge! (Jane and I passed on the pie )

We just missed Bob Gregory - he left here yesterday afternoon. We will be in Branson Friday for the iRV2 rally and get to see him then (and some of the other forum members we hope!)

Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Good to hear your jacks are all set John and to bad about the pie . Have a safe trip and will see you Sunday.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

John , glad you got some help with your jacks.
Say hi to everyone in Branson for me. I will use the old cliche, "Wish I was there."
Take care,,,jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A great place to do Business with. HWH replaced 4 leaking lines for me No Cost. Great Lunch and some real nice people to talk to. We were there when there was a training class going. So talked to a lot of RV Techs. Real interesting 2 days.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

John,

If Bob was there before you, they were probably out of pie anyway .

See you in Branson.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Not trying to hijack the thread, but my rig is at Pro-Tech RV in Seguin TX. currently with a bad right rear jack and three burnt out solenoids.(Right rear jack has always been on borderline of time to retrack) Called HWH before going, no problem- under warranty. Pro-Tech called for replacement authorization, no warranty. I called customer service again, under warranty no problem have Pro-Tech call back. Pro Tech currently to be re-checking----------

Hope left hand and right hand get together---

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
John,

If Bob was there before you, they were probably out of pie anyway .

See you in Branson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ha - too funny Gary! See you soon!

Update - the jacks now retract with lightning speed and the noisy new rebuilt jack is now much quieter.

I posted a few pictures of our service experience in our picture gallery.

Bob - the right rear jack is generally the one that will always take a little longer (at least on our chassis) because it has the longest hydraulic line to purge back to the tank.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We will pulling into HWH tomorrow for an 8am appointment to fix our leaks and our jacks not holding the coach level.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> they were all retracted in 37 seconds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, did they indicate what is an acceptable retraction time? Mine were in the 5 min range but after my dealer replaced all the springs it's about 1 1/2 to 2.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I had all 4 jacks and springs replaced. Now they all retract in less than a minute.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Bob,

I am at HWH, the only non Winnebago on the lot, and ask one of the tech's. He said specs say max 5min for all 4. But, they start looking at things after 2 mins.

OBTW - One of the guys in a 02 Chieftain had all of his hoses replaced do to leaks. It is a know problem, mostly on Winnebago's. It seems that a supplier change something that cause the leaks. the were replaced FREE of Caharge.

On Edit - The bad hose problem applies to 01, 02 an some 03 coaches.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Bob,

I am at HWH, the only non Winnebago on the lot, and ask one of the tech's. He said specs say max 5min for all 4. But, they start looking at things after 2 mins.

OBTW - One of the guys in a 02 Chieftain had all of his hoses replaced do to leaks. It is a know problem, mostly on Winnebago's. It seems that a supplier change something that cause the leaks. the were replaced FREE of Caharge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When we were there, there was a diverse selection of manufacturers represented. As I remember there was an Endeavor, Mountain Aire pusher, Beaver Marquis, Winnebago Chieftain/Tour/Horizons (2).

Bob/Dale: On our Winnebago application of the HWH jacks, retraction time specifications vary according to the ambient temperature with longer retract time allowed for colder temps. Here is the specification.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
John,

The ambient temp would make sense. Hey I lived in Minnesota at one time.

OBTW - I was out of HWH by 10 am this morning and will be in Forest City sometime this afternoon.