Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Tired of Cummins changeing my oil for $700

Howdy Y'all. Have any of you Tour/Ellipse (and similar rigs) owners ever changed your own oil? ours has a rear radiator (not a side one). Do I absolutely have to get under the rig or is there an easier way to move the radiator or get to the motor? I can't find Anything on youtube to that helps.
Thanks in advance.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just slide under there drain oil change filter refill cost about $80 bucks oh the hard part disposing of that oil with out getting it everywhere, Fumoto valve.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not at all into the big rigs and pushers, so this may /may not fit but one big idea might be to shop around for who else might change the oil. There are more and more times when I know I "could" do things but find it now worth paying a bit more to have it done.
So is there any value in doing some checking for other places to do the job. I found that I could buy oil and filter and do the change on my gas unit and save some fair money over the first quotes I got, but then when I asked further at Wal-Mart, The price got down to so close that I go there and keep off the ground! Totally different story on diesel but maybe some checking around would get it closer? Diesels do come with a price but that sounds like a pretty big premium.
I'm sure that the old theory we got in school about how prices are set is not what I see being done! I get to read a few of the industry mags for methods of increasing the bottom line and some of them are pretty close to scams.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I tend to agree with Votaire who was reputed to have opined that "In this best of all possible worlds, all things are for the best".

I still wallow around under our rig often - couple of times a month and any time we stay more than a couple of days in one place. Take some rags, wrenches, mirror, light, critiquing hammer (8oz ballpeen) and look, prod, wipe, tap, etc. But, I've found it best to forego changing my own oil. Best for me, best for our concrete, best for my relationship with SWMBO.

For several years now, WW Williams here in Tucson has been our chassis guys. And, they are the only Allison folks in town. Give them our rig every Feb after we get back from the geriatrics woodstock (Quartzite) Have them change Cummins and Onan at a minimum.

To your query about cost comparisions. Oils and filters this year ran $144. Cummins change includes hitting all the chassis and drive train zerks, brake pad check, air bag inspection, air tanks, etc. Usually 2 hours labor for Cummins, chassis and genset (Onan 8000). Don't know labor rate in your area.

This year I asked them to look at a main slide hydraulic line leak - tightening wasn't getting it. And a mystery leak on the genset. They replaced the hydraulic line fitting and a cracked loom. They replaced a gasket (gear case part #20)above and behind the genset oil filter. Life is best oil drip free!

For all that, we drove away leaving them just over $600. Could I have removed that hydraulic line, taken it to a shop, then reinstalled it? Sure. But, just think about that process. Could I have replaced the gasket? Don't think so. Access and lack of double-jointed arms. And jack to move the Onan in its mounts.

Your area likely has tons of alternatives to Cummins, Freightliner, etc. Check them out.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

With the age of my rig 07 and the fact that I would not know what I am looking at or for anyway I found it wiser to have pros do it. Last year the folks at Branson Motor Coach charged me $450 for oil change on the cat and gen. plus greasing all the 28+ zerks remember different grease for the brake zerks.

I thought that to be a very reasonable price. Plus they look over all the belts and hoses etc. In fact mine goes in this Wed for new oil etc.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Not at all into the big rigs and pushers, so this may /may not fit but one big idea might be to shop around for who else might change the oil. There are more and more times when I know I "could" do things but find it now worth paying a bit more to have it done.
So is there any value in doing some checking for other places to do the job. I found that I could buy oil and filter and do the change on my gas unit and save some fair money over the first quotes I got, but then when I asked further at Wal-Mart, The price got down to so close that I go there and keep off the ground! Totally different story on diesel but maybe some checking around would get it closer? Diesels do come with a price but that sounds like a pretty big premium.
I'm sure that the old theory we got in school about how prices are set is not what I see being done! I get to read a few of the industry mags for methods of increasing the bottom line and some of them are pretty close to scams.
So much truth in what you say. I did contemplate those ideas. I do have an ace my sleeve though, but I wanted to ck with Y'all 1st to see If I am/was missing anything. Thanks so much.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #7
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
I tend to agree with Votaire who was reputed to have opined that "In this best of all possible worlds, all things are for the best".

I still wallow around under our rig often - couple of times a month and any time we stay more than a couple of days in one place. Take some rags, wrenches, mirror, light, critiquing hammer (8oz ballpeen) and look, prod, wipe, tap, etc. But, I've found it best to forego changing my own oil. Best for me, best for our concrete, best for my relationship with SWMBO.

For several years now, WW Williams here in Tucson has been our chassis guys. And, they are the only Allison folks in town. Give them our rig every Feb after we get back from the geriatrics woodstock (Quartzite) Have them change Cummins and Onan at a minimum.

To your query about cost comparisions. Oils and filters this year ran $144. Cummins change includes hitting all the chassis and drive train zerks, brake pad check, air bag inspection, air tanks, etc. Usually 2 hours labor for Cummins, chassis and genset (Onan 8000). Don't know labor rate in your area.

This year I asked them to look at a main slide hydraulic line leak - tightening wasn't getting it. And a mystery leak on the genset. They replaced the hydraulic line fitting and a cracked loom. They replaced a gasket (gear case part #20)above and behind the genset oil filter. Life is best oil drip free!

For all that, we drove away leaving them just over $600. Could I have removed that hydraulic line, taken it to a shop, then reinstalled it? Sure. But, just think about that process. Could I have replaced the gasket? Don't think so. Access and lack of double-jointed arms. And jack to move the Onan in its mounts.

Your area likely has tons of alternatives to Cummins, Freightliner, etc. Check them out.

You're right chief. Also we worked with Acronyms most of our life, but I don't know what SWMBO is. Anyway, yeah I know a Truck shop down the road, they work on 18 wheeler truck diesel motors: cummins, cats, detroits, Int'l et al. I didn't tell them I had a Moho, Just that I had a vehicle with a 8.9 ISL cummins. They said for an oil change it was $105 for labor and then whatever the oil and filter were. To me that sounded great. But I wanted to feel out the collective "winnebago com" pulse. LOL. thanks
Old 02-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
With the age of my rig 07 and the fact that I would not know what I am looking at or for anyway I found it wiser to have pros do it. Last year the folks at Branson Motor Coach charged me $450 for oil change on the cat and gen. plus greasing all the 28+ zerks remember different grease for the brake zerks.

I thought that to be a very reasonable price. Plus they look over all the belts and hoses etc. In fact mine goes in this Wed for new oil etc.
that's a pretty good deal, Motor AND Genny. Wow! and all the extras! Cummins quoted me $700 for oil change and another $200 for the Genny. In so many words but not specifically he told me you're paying for the Name: work done at a Cummins establishment, by Cummins techs (which get paid more than 9.70 an hr, his words).
Old 02-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

SWMBO

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
SWMBO

She Who Must Be Obeyed

LOL. Niiiiice.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

So no one here has any cool videos from some websites they'd like to share showing an Oil change on a DP Rig with a Rear Radiator?
Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

If you have changed the oil on your cars or truck over the years, changing the oil on the diesel pusher is similar.

I have changed the oil on my 2003 Cummins a few years ago and now on my 2006 Cat diesel.

About 20 quarts of oil is a mess to deal with. Also you will probably need a filter removal strap to get the filter off. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-23...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You will want a large tub to trap the oil in. Something like 24"x36" and about 8-10" deep.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I should start bringing stuff with me when I go camping, and put a sign outside my trailer: "Cummins oil changes $500."
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I should start bringing stuff with me when I go camping, and put a sign outside my trailer: "Cummins oil changes $500."
DANGER!! Madness this way!
Be careful when looking at this as it is really easy to lose track of being on vacation or retired if you let folks know you have a wrench!
Now that I'm determined to stay retired, I find work finds me way too often.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #15
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
If you have changed the oil on your cars or truck over the years, changing the oil on the diesel pusher is similar.

I have changed the oil on my 2003 Cummins a few years ago and now on my 2006 Cat diesel.

About 20 quarts of oil is a mess to deal with. Also you will probably need a filter removal strap to get the filter off. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-23...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You will want a large tub to trap the oil in. Something like 24"x36" and about 8-10" deep.
Hmm, I used to change out motors on BMWs when I was stationed in Germany. Here in the U.S. I changed out my water pump in my dodge ram. Even changed out the fuel pump in my Ford Crown Vic after lowering the fuel tank. All elementary stuff, but I never worked on a behemoth of a 8.9 ISL cummins engine hiding behind a Radiator (in the way). I'd like to change the air filter too. I was hoping there'd be an easy way to get that radiator out of the way.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'd be your 1st customer. Naturally I'd bring you a nice 12 pack for a possible discount.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

What would a rear radiator have anything to do with an oil change? One thing I recommend for the DIY's is to buy a lever pump to pump the oil in....saves a lot of time.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #18
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
What would a rear radiator have anything to do with an oil change? One thing I recommend for the DIY's is to buy a lever pump to pump the oil in....saves a lot of time.
well the radiator is blocking EVERYTHING. The motor sits right behind it. No way to get to the air filter or anything else regarding the motor.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

The recent oil & filter change I had recently: oil/filter/sample collection/chassis greasing cost $204 total, and that's including $62 labor and using Rotella Full Synthetic 15W-40 oil and a Cat filter. I pre-purchased the oil and filter. That was at America Custom Tire, in Quartzsite, AZ. So it's my opinion that $700 is too much.

Also, just to mention to any forum lurkers, my rear rad Journey (a twin to the Itasca but mine only has a 330HP Cat engine so not as big) I've found isn't that hard to work on even with a rear rad when the bedroom hatch is opened and the air dam over the radiator is removed. I've read that if necessary, the rad can be removed easily enough (3 hours labor if I remember correctly) once the rear fiberglass lower bumper is removed (really just a cover piece as it wouldn't work as a real bumper). Which I could do before taking it to a shop if needed. But that wasn't necessary to R&R the air filter, the AC compressor, the serpentine belt, the water pump belt, the alternator, the surge tank, and several other parts during other fixes. Sure the rear rad is in the way, but it's still possible to work on the engine.

Here's what it looks like with that lower piece removed.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #20
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

You had me rolling when you said the 2002 journey is a twin to the Winnie Tour. Maybe you just meant the Radiator or radiator location/position. Anyway. Yeah I just wanted confirmation that the Radiator needed to be removed to do most of the work back there. Anyway, I love the furniture in your Moho from way back then. I wish My furniture looked like that. I don't like the new stuff that they offer nowadays.
We don't have a Bedroom hatch. I just have a bathroom hatch to the House batteries.
700 bucks is definitely too much. Especially when camping world does it for 299-399. And even that's too much in my opinion. LOL. But both have experienced techs. So when cummins gives me that Excuse that they have Cummins techs that don't just make $9.70 an hr, it doesn't fly with me. I mean how expert do you have to be to loosen a lug and untwist an oil filter. but 700 for an oil change and another 200 for the onan 10k Genny. Nah, not in this lifetime. Thanks for you help though.

Tags
cummins