Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Won't start after shorted house battery leads

Hello everyone. New to the forum and new to RV'ing so bear with me. I hope I've posted this in the right section. Apologies if not.

I need some guidance here. I was changing the house batteries the other day, they were very old and wouldn't charge. Sadly, I shorted the positive and negative leads and made lots of sparks. Battery still good with 12.7vdc.

I'm finding now that the rig won't start. I get my dash lights, I have house power through the batteries but it won't start. It always starts with no hesitation so I'm wondering if I've tripped a fuse that I can't locate, or perhaps have some disconnect switch in the wrong position.

I ask about a disconnect switch because I was monkeying around with the dash the other day and flipped the auxilliary switch off. Took me a day to figure that one out as to why I had no dc power.

I'm confident this is a simple fix but I'll be darned if I'm seeing it. Any help or advise is much appreciated. Oh, forgot, I have a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G.
Lwogdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Glanced at the diagrams and nothing obvious. The newer Winnebagos have a big ANL fuse in series with the chassis battery positive lead, don't see one of those on yours.

Click-able link: 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G Wiring Book
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the link to the electrical drawings. I had found that yesterday and have been trying to navigate using that with semi-success. It just acts like it's not getting power to the starter or something the way the dash lights come on and all. That's why I keep thinking there is a fuse somewhere that I'm missing. I did check the fuse box on the firewall and they are all good.
Lwogdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

there is a main fuse near the chassis and house battery, it is an 'isolation' fuse - a large NON looking fuse - mounted on chassis wall ?

anyhow it will join the chassis battery to house maybe - depends on your setup.

mine is there at batteries - between them with large 12v wiring going to it.

also you have a chassis isolation device, a solinoid relay/device that keeps the house from draining the chassis battery it can go bad, and just maybe ?

also, why does not bridge switch/device start the engine,that should always work ??

GL!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery