Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Era - connect air compressor leads to jump start terminal?

Our 2016 Era's (Sprinter 3500) chassis (engine) battery is located under a panel beneath the driver's feet. It's not particularly easy to access for connecting anything to the battery, such as a 12V air compressor.

We are looking at purchasing a small 12V air compressor such as the VIAIR 89P-RVS. This unit comes with a pair of leads that connect directly to a battery; there is no cigarette lighter socket-style plug.

Under the hood is a positive terminal (within a red push-and-rotate collar) that is generally intended for jump starting the vehicle. I often use it to connect a battery charger when the Era is parked for more than a few weeks.

Does anyone know if it is safe to connect an air compressor to the terminal under the hood, as opposed to directly to the battery?
RV-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are the coach batter(y/ies) easier to access? I have no idea where they are on an ERA.
Or, go to some place like Batteries and Bulbs Plus and ask if they have a cigar lighter adapter, for alligator clamp leads, then use the hot outlet under the ash tray in the dash.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Coach batteries, 12V adapter, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Are the coach batter(y/ies) easier to access? I have no idea where they are on an ERA.
Or, go to some place like Batteries and Bulbs Plus and ask if they have a cigar lighter adapter, for alligator clamp leads, then use the hot outlet under the ash tray in the dash.
Thanks for the response, as always.

The coach batteries are underneath the Era and are virtually inaccessible, as far as I can tell. I've tried to get to the cables from underneath and haven't figured out how to.

I thought about an adapter. The 89P-RVS compressor (I believe it's the smallest "RV" model from VIAIR) specs state there is a 20A fuse in the power cord. I don't know if it would really pull 20A, but I think most cigarette lighter sockets are rated somewhere in the 10A to 15A range.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think you're right about the 12V DC outlet under the dash. Probably rated at 15A. As for the Viair draw, it might draw close to 20A to run the mechanical compressor. I'd be surprised if it did, but it could.
I'd find an adapter, or find a different make/model of compressor with a cigar bullet plug.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

12V air compressor

Quote:
I think you're right about the 12V DC outlet under the dash. Probably rated at 15A. As for the Viair draw, it might draw close to 20A to run the mechanical compressor. I'd be surprised if it did, but it could.
I'd find an adapter, or find a different make/model of compressor with a cigar bullet plug.
I bought a 12V air compressor about a year ago. It was supposed to be suitable for smaller RVs and has a 12V cigarette lighter-style plug. Seems OK, but when I looked at something about it online today I noticed there are a lot of recent negative reviews. Maybe it will be fine, but I don't have a lot of faith in it at this point. I probably should have bought a better one from the get-go.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think you will be fine using the Viair on the jumper lug (red terminal you described). Have the engine running when using it....
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We shall see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOS 3 View Post
I think you will be fine using the Viair on the jumper lug (red terminal you described). Have the engine running when using it....
Thanks. Guess I'll cross my fingers and give it a test run.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
I bought a 12V air compressor about a year ago. It was supposed to be suitable for smaller RVs and has a 12V cigarette lighter-style plug. Seems OK, but when I looked at something about it online today I noticed there are a lot of recent negative reviews. Maybe it will be fine, but I don't have a lot of faith in it at this point. I probably should have bought a better one from the get-go.
I decided to go AC powered. I picked up a Fini 2 lb tank hotdog compressor from Menards 2 years ago for around $80 on sale. I think Home Depot also has them. Came with a hose and some small fittings for basic inflation. I added some extras (tire air chuck) from Harbor Freight. I don't think it will run off our 1000W PSW inverter, but if I need to power it in a pinch, I can always fire up the generator. It's good to 125psi and portable, and stores easily in our rig. Not sure how much spare room you've got in the ERA, but it might be too bulky to be convenient for you. https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...4449832791.htm
Old 03-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Decisions, decisions...

Quote:
I decided to go AC powered. I picked up a Fini 2 lb tank hotdog compressor from Menards 2 years ago for around $80 on sale. I think Home Depot also has them. Came with a hose and some small fittings for basic inflation. I added some extras (tire air chuck) from Harbor Freight. I don't think it will run off our 1000W PSW inverter, but if I need to power it in a pinch, I can always fire up the generator. It's good to 125psi and portable, and stores easily in our rig. Not sure how much spare room you've got in the ERA, but it might be too bulky to be convenient for you. https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...4449832791.htm
The Era has very limited space. A small portable is all I can squeeze in with all of the other stuff that goes along.

I'll have to decide if I trust the compressor we already have, or probably go with the VIAIR 89P-RVS. I have the various cables and adapters I need to test the current compressor off the jump start terminal, I'll give that a try and see how that goes first.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
The Era has very limited space. A small portable is all I can squeeze in with all of the other stuff that goes along.

I'll have to decide if I trust the compressor we already have, or probably go with the VIAIR 89P-RVS. I have the various cables and adapters I need to test the current compressor off the jump start terminal, I'll give that a try and see how that goes first.

The other advantage(?) of the 110V AC unit is, I can start the generator and connect the compressor to power, without having to exit the vehicle and lift the hood. Food for thought?
Good luck with it, however it works out.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

If that terminal is designed for jump staring at 100s + Amps, it surly will run a 20 amp compressor. Your good to go.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I always plug my ViAir under the hood. Push the red plastic tab for the red wire and connect the black wire to the little horizontal post located on your right.
as000ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

When you have a post under the hood intended for jump starting the vehicle; if you followed the lead, you'd find it connects to the engine battery. What's more; it's a fairly heavy copper wire.
When connecting jumpers, or a charger directly to the battery posts, they always warn a spark can ignite flammable fumes vented off the battery. Using this remote connection under the hood to the battery, that would seem to reduce such potential concerns. It looks like a great option.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor