Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Transfer Switch wiring 2000 Adventurer 32

I have just installed a new ATS (automatic transfer switch) in my 2000 Adventurer, 32 ft., Ford chassis. Winnebago's wiring is shown below. I don't know what to do with the two connections that are circled in yellow. There are instructions shown at the bottom, but they don't help me. I put the two white leads in with the other white ones and everything seems to be working, but I really would like to know what the diagram would have me do.

Anyone know about this?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS wiring.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	186362  
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sorry but that is not one I've seen before and it does leave questions!
Is this a drawing for a new/updated transfer switch that you are using to replace a different model?
It doesn't match the "normal" drawings we get online, so where does this drawing come from? With new switch, maybe?

I might give Winnebago a call on this one as it seems to need better info. Noy going to work to just remove the white leads.
They need to go "somewhere" but they don't say where that I can spot.
Written like too many instructions. The guy that wrote them assumes "everybody" knows that !

Sorry, no good ideas here!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Team

I’m not sure what that Winnebago wiring diagram is meaning either, but looking at that diagram could those be capped off and not used? Perhaps to be used for some options not on all coaches?

Obviously these “5” and “6” instructions are clear as mud.

I don’t suppose you took a photo of the original wiring before the ATS replacement?
Old 06-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
It doesn't match the "normal" drawings we get online, so where does this drawing come from? With new switch, maybe?
Richard those are Winnebago wiring diagrams from a 2000 Adventurer 32V.

Here’s a link

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/132290.pdf
Old 06-16-2023, 08:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

As I recall there are some jumper wires used for coaches with 50 amp service. I know I've seen details of the jumpers somewhere. Parallax transfer switch, right? Has to be a diagram out there somewhere....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Richard those are Winnebago wiring diagrams from a 2000 Adventurer 32V.

Here’s a link

Okay, looked at a different drawing for the 110AC and did not come this far. It looks like they are dealing with an Rv with option 12D? That makes it a 30 Amp, but where those wires that look like they are just going behind the connections really land is not clear to me?

Part of the problem may be the way they tend to confuse things by using different names at different places. I "think" note 6 makes some sense but then when they went to note 5, I'm guessing they swapped in "panel" for where they labeled the drawing "load center" just to confuse things.
I'm thinking the "panel" is what they labeled "load center" and the wires they mention should just be removed, not necessarily attached at a different point?

It looks like they have three sections to the switch. Red for load conter/panel, depending on which label you use? Blue for power cord section and green for generator section.

Name:	transfer.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	186364

But that is doing some guessing and taking things for granted which may not always be true? Can we assume that thisis the correct drawing and the correct options?
If true, are there blue marked wires as the note mentions? Since there is no word to connect them, I might be inclined to leave them capped but that might need to be compared to the OEM wiring as there is a fair amount of doubt involved.

If it is OEM to OEM swap, I would go back with what methods were used at start!
Old 06-16-2023, 11:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys.
I'm embarrassed to say that the original transfer switch was destroyed when I drove off trailing my power cord. probably ran over it with rear tire. Strange I didn't feel it.
Anyway it was a 50 amp transfer switch, so I replaced it with a
Esco LPT50BRD LYGHT 50 Amp ATS. Wiring was straightforward except for the items in question. I did note that one of the white wires still in the coach still had a wire nut on it, as shown in the diagram.

I inserted the two white wires that are shown to go with 'blue' wires into the neutral lug with the other white from the corresponding cable (hope that made sense).

As I said, every thing seems to be working except that I'm suspicious of my basement a/c. I'm waiting for new breakers for the genset before I get serious about checking that out.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Okay, that can throw things into a bit more confusion as the drawing that we have been referring to is for 30AMP!
So we may need to start from the bottom with questions and work up?
Is your RV 30 or 50 amp? They were both build for that year, model, and floor plan. I have to go with the idea that they may have gone with the same transfer switch for both but it pays to check?
If unsure, a look at the power cord will show if it is a heavier 6-3 cord or lighter weight 10-2?
Point is to make sure we are looking at the correct info.
Not that it will make the drawing any more clear but a place to start!!

Note?
Don't feel bad about those little "adventures". I once backed over a concrete and steel grill while three people were outside to watch me back in!!
We do those things so we have stories to tell on other people!
Old 06-16-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I meant to state originally that the coach is 30 amp. Original ATS was 50 amp, so that's what I went back with.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

No problem! I screw up the communications so often, I'm getting paranoid on checking details!
I'm still not seeing a real good answer to what yu are asking but I did a second look at where I had first checked for the 110AC drawings and it does show things in a bit different way, that I am more used to looking at, so maybe I can send some ideas along on what BOTH drawings seem to show and maybe one or the other can lead to some light?

winnebago uses tow different drawing types to get info across to us. One is the wiring diagram while the other is an installation drawing. The first gives it more wire by wire and the second that we have mostly been speaking about is lots more help on the physical layout and where things are installed.

So I started off on the wire diagram, while you had the install, but they both have matching info, shown in different ways!

I took the first drawing and turned it to match what I find on the other drawing, to try to compare what they both are saying.
I can sort out the three sections on each as green, red and blue but there is a problem which I'm not sure what it says about one wire on the blue group.
The one with the question mark? I'm not happy with whether that is sending power to or from the load center/ panel!
My basic idea of the transfer switch is that it chooses either green or blue section and sends the power out to the load center on red!!
This comes from this drawing set:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/131759.pdf

Click these snips to get a better picture!

Sending it along to look over but I'm not seeing a clear answer for what to do with the wires they say to disconnect???? More looking and study leaves me more confused than starting!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	transfer 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	186365   Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer 3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	186366  

Old 06-16-2023, 04:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Richard,
I really appreciate your diligence in pursuing my problem. The clips you sent definitely deserve further study, but it may be a day or so before I can devote sufficient time to it. Tomorrow I'll be replacing a hydraulic cylinder on my slide-out. Not a fun job.
Thanks.
Later.
Chuck
Old 06-18-2023, 04:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday was too hot for an old guy to be out working on the RV. Anyway I've looked over your information and still have no clue about the two connections in question.

I wired them into the neutral lugs with the other white wire of the pair coming in. Every thing seems to be working, but I want to check the basement A/C operation to make sure that is working right.

I'm going to sell the old girl (the RV) and I'm doing (done) a lot of fix-up. It's been a great ride. 63,000 miles in all of the lower 48 states.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckmor View Post
I have just installed a new ATS (automatic transfer switch) in my 2000 Adventurer, 32 ft., Ford chassis. Winnebago's wiring is shown below. I don't know what to do with the two connections that are circled in yellow. There are instructions shown at the bottom, but they don't help me. I put the two white leads in with the other white ones and everything seems to be working, but I really would like to know what the diagram would have me do.

Anyone know about this?
Thanks.
As I look at this I do have some questions for you. Is your shore cord 50A or 30A? Where did you get this wiring picture of the ATS? If I read your picture correctly it shows a 12AWG, 2 wire power cord and 10AWG generator feed. I'm not certain form the information you are providing that this ATS is the correct size for your coach.
In this .pdf from the Winnebago resource center (https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/131759.pdf) you have 2 ATS choices; 50A or 30A.
So, before I can give you any valid input I need these questions answered.
I'm so glad that you have come to the community for help with this project. I know one of us will get you the correct information. I am among the many here who have replaced ATS's and have a bit of an understanding about reading the older Winnebago diagrams. The rigs after 2005 don't have as much detailed information available from Winnebago. So sad. These functional diagrams as so useful.
Rick
Old 06-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My coach is 30 amp with a 30 amp power cord. The Previous ATS was 50 amp, so that's what I went back with. Diagrams are all from Winnebago
Old 06-23-2023, 04:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckmor View Post
My coach is 30 amp with a 30 amp power cord. The Previous ATS was 50 amp, so that's what I went back with. Diagrams are all from Winnebago
My apology. I didn't scroll down far enough in that .pdf. So, you have A/C #2 wired through the ATS. In https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/131759.pdf sheet 1 of 4 you may find a clue to your question. Does your 30A ATS have a "blue wire"? Looking at Sheet 1, ATS "Panel" connections you can see a Neutral, Hot and Gnd terminals. The "Connector" you have circled is a wire nut I am thinking. I have no idea where the White wires are going from the connectors. Are there 2 white wires coming up from under the terminal strip? Do you have a box near the ATS that the power cord goes into and has a 30A breaker?

Another thought is "Panel" is a reference to the neutral coming from the load center and tied to A/C # 2 neutral. Same with the "Power Cord". This is the neutral feed to the load center tied in at the ATS with a wire nut.

Hope this all helps you make some sense of this.

Rick

Tags
wiring, vent, transfer switch, switch, adventurer