Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Power awning retracts by itself

I have an 04 Journey with a power awning. It extends and retracts as it should. The problem is: it will retract all by itself! I will sometimes stay out for days on end, no issues. Other times, it will retract within 15 min or so after I extend it out again. If I am fast enough to crawl behind the radio and disconnect it from the power box or controller, it of course stays out. When I plug it back in it seems to stay out longer, almost as if I have re-set it. Any body else have or had this issue? I believe the awning brand is a A & E power awning. I also have an issue with the awning over the door, but need to resolve the main awning 1st. I look forward to a reply or two.
bigtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Some folks report that high temperatures make this happen more frequently. And, as we all know there have been some really high temps this summer.

Could that be your problem?

Many of these have a rocker switch to turn off automatic retraction. If yours does try turning that off when the temps are in the high 90's.

It could be the controller obviously, it is 17 years old.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wind sensor going bad maybe? As Steve stated, there should be an awning power button where you can turn it off. Not a good recommendation in my opinion as it defeats the purpose of the wind sensor. Some MH's have a sensor high/low setting.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #4

bigtoy: Don't know what to say about your A&E Dometic big awning, but if you have a Fiamma/Dometic awning over your front door, you maybe able to fix it for less than $1 if the motor works, but the awning does not extend. Check this link out:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/one...ml#post3693945

The problem is that there are a number of different models. My door awning is an F45i made by Fiamma and sold by A&E Dometic. And my model uses a "D" shaft that ends up stripping the pot metal in the awning rod. So the solution that permanently fixed my awning was to drill a hole thru the rod and but a compression pin in in.

I also would recommend you stop short of the full extension and retraction to reduce the stress on the motor when it comes to a stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#13 .jpg
Views:	64
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	180386   Click image for larger version

Name:	#14 Plate, Berring (LH).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	180387  

Name:	15 Compression Pin 5-32D x .75L.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	180389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170709_165149.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	180390  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Over door awning

Thank you for the reply on the over door awning and that is exactly what is wrong with mine. The motor powers and turns, but has uncoupled from ,the roll. I will check out the thread you sent!
Old 07-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

Bigtoy: I'm glad my door awning repair notes will help you.

As for your large awning retracting for no apparent reason, I have not investigated this, but maybe the picture below, which shows a typical wind detector and it's electrical connection, will help you... if when you disconnect one end of the wire connector so the control box, then the wind detector will create an "open" circuit so the awning stays out, if that is your goal?

I don't know about your awning, but my large awning needs some help:

* First off, the motor is very weak and at times it will stop midstream. When this happens I need to pause a few seconds and press the retract button again... and hope it retracts all the way. So does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this issue?

* I think the motor is located on the end of the awning; and while I have tried to oil it, that really doesn't seem to have any positive effect.

* I have not cleaned any wire connections to the motor, because I don't know how to deal with the motor? Can anyone tell me if they found loose wire connections and where they found them?

* Sometimes the awning will not work at all. And when this happens, I typically take apart the connector below, clean it with electrical contact cleaner, and then the awning works again.

However, at first I thought this cleaning oxidation off the pins was the problem, but because I have done this a couple times, I'm now thinking I am "resetting" the control box by disconnecting the junction.

* ...Or, maybe there is a weak ground? If so, has anyone added a ground wire and found their awning works better?

* Has anyone replaced their awning shocks? And did it help or make retracting the awning more difficult?

My awning extends easier than it retracts. And I don't put it out very often and when I do it has to be in very, very light or no wind conditions, because I'm afraid one day I will not be able to get it to retract.

* Can anyone tell me what the manual retract procedure is when the motor does not retract the awning?

Last but not least, you may want to put these awning schematic drawings in your library for future reference. (I think I got them from Morich.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2004 Weather Pro Electrical Connection Table.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	180394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Power Pro Wind Sensor On Roof.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	180395  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I believe wind sensor reads temp change plotted against time. So a quick change of outdoor temp usually means windy, awning rolls up. There’s a switch on most of these control units to turn off wind feature. If you are not present at the RV bring it in.
TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Awning

I have a 2004 Journey and the electrical control box is mounted on the front wall inside the Right front basement Door. As soon as you open the door you will see it on the right and it does have a on off switch.
I also have a problem when i extend the awning ( wind sensor switch on ) the Awning will retract almost right away?
It stays open if I switch sensor off . As stated before "Not recommended" but I only do it when I am sure I will be there while its open.

Dave
Dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

No question, the wind sensors are a little like magic. It's been pointed out before that the sensor isn't a wind sensor. Might be barometric pressure change or something like that. But I've had my awning retract in what seemed to be a mild wind, and had it stay open, in what seemed like a very strong wind.
At one point I was really frustrated, as it seemed the mildest wind set it off, and I just couldn't keep it out. But at least for the present it seems more forgiving. I'm hoping it stays that way. Ours is a 2005, and it seems like the complaints are of older units. Maybe newer models don't have this issue, because they fixed it.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Well,
Not all coaches, and not all awnings, no matter WHO built either one, are the same. For instance, our coach is also the same year as the OP's and, it's in the same make but, not the same model or lineup. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it too has both the door and main awnings made by A&E. And yes, we have the control box just inside the compartment on the right side.

But, we also have a roof top wind sensor for the main awning. The main difference in ours is, that roof top wind sensor on ours, is completely out of the loop, inop, worthless. The wind sensor in our main awning is IN the awning end cap. It operates by vibration of the fabric due to wind. A three way toggle switch, sitting just inside the main door, alongside the two more switches that control that awning, has three settings.

1. Mild
2. Moderate
3. Severe

Those are for wind settings. Of course, it's sort of self explanitory that, if the switch is in the "MILD" setting, a slight wind, creating slight vibration of that fabric, will cause the sensor to operate and, the awning will retract. And so it will be on the moderate and severe.

Now, is the OP's the same style, not a clue. I can walk up to ours and give the awning arm a slight shake and, that awning will go in all on its own. Don't know if this info will do any good for the OP or not but, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well now, that just makes too much sense. I wish they all had a sensitivity setting.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

When we had our Journey, we got tired of the sensor problem and wired it direct. We always retracted it if going anywhere so didnt care sbout the wind,
Old 08-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Micro switch

I found the micro switch on the side of the box for the wind sensor and shut it off. No more self retracting awning. Thanks too all that replied!

Tags
awning, power