Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Lightbulb 2013 vista inverter issue

So the other day we disconnected from shore power and notice that chassis batteries were dead. So we rain the generator for a few while we were disconnected. After reconnecting to shore I noticed our inverter was clicking and our TVs wouldn’t work. The power to the TVs outlet was going from 120 straight to 0 volts and then jumping back to 120 volts. This is also a New inverter like 1 month ago. It seems the same exact same thing happened so we replaced the inverter and it solved the issue. Now my question is what would cause the inverter to quit functioning twice?
Doorguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The inverter uses coach battery to make AC. When plugged in those batteries get @2vdc from the converter but it takes 6-8 plus hours to recharge them and they may be damaged by running too low.

Sounds like bat too low,so invergies but it ugh bat so it quits.

Check batteriy will take and hold charge.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

So when I turn my inverter on everything works as it should and is says 13.8 volts on the screen. I have not checked the battery’s yet I’ll do that tomorrow.
Doorguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorguy88 View Post
So when I turn my inverter on everything works as it should and is says 13.8 volts on the screen. I have not checked the battery’s yet I’ll do that tomorrow.
It's confusing to learn about batteries and monitors that show voltage.

A fully charged battery is 12.7 volts. So, if you see anything above 12.7 volts you are not reading the battery voltage - you are reading a battery charger's voltage.

Battery chargers and alternators, etc charge batteries at between 13.4 and 14.2 volts. So, if you check your batteries and they show 13.7v you are not seeing your battery's voltage. You can't use that figure.

If you unhook from shore power, or turn off your generator, or turn off the engine on your motorhome, i.e. stop charging, your batteries will still lie to you and show a surface charge from the charging you just turned off.

Wait a few hours and then look at your batteries. Ah, then you'll get a better idea of their true state. Wait over night and viola... that's more likely your battery's true voltage.

So, whenever anyone says, "my batteries are charged. They show 13.7v." We know that... nope, that's not really the case.

Tags
class a, electrical, inverter