Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Noob generator/AC questions (micro mini flx)

Hey everyone, we will be starting our RV journey this summer in the south, so needless to say I’ll be needing a generator to help keep the RV reasonably cool. I understand the Truma is only rated to reduce temps by about 10F, and that it should take about 1500watts to run.

My question: Which generator types do you recommend? What’s the best way to transport them (truck bed, mounted behind LP tanks, pass through storage), and where should it be located when in use? Also, I haven’t picked up my RV yet so I don’t know where to plug it in either, though I’ll be asking about that at the dealership. I’m likely going to buy a hitch from them anyway and will consider getting a gen from them as well.

Preliminary research has led me to look at the 4500w champion. Dual gas, ~3200 running watts. I shouldn’t need that high of a starting wattage right?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2023, 05:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Take a look at the Champion 2500 dual fuel. It weighs only 39 lbs. We run it only on propane, so it can be carried anywhere (no fumes). On propane, it outputs exactly 15 amps. That’s more than enough for your Truma. We run our easy start equipped 13,500 btu A/C from it. We carry ours in the pass through. We also carry a third 20# propane bottle in a milk carton in the truck bed, using it primarily for the generator. When we have to run the generator, we place it away from our trailer with the exhaust pointing away from any other campsite. It’s pretty quiet: 53db
Old 05-16-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Jim is correct. A 2500w generator is probably plenty. Having more wattage is never a problem and is usually a plus. However, a bigger generator is more expensive to buy, and much heavier to carry and move around. Some larger generators 3000 - 4000 watts have electric start or even remote start which is wonderful to have but even more expensive to buy.

You get to choose which of these options is best for you and your budget. But, at a minimum you probably want 2500 watts of generator power.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Great, thank you!
Old 05-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I highly recommend a dual fuel for several reasons. One is that it does give you alternates in case of some odd situation where you have access to one but not the other.
But the real reason I like the propane is the safety aspect.
In servcie trucks, we used propane as safer and it di save lots of grief on a few occasions. Propane tanks will really take a beating before they leak (if the valve in not knocked off!) and that saved my hide in an accident. The tanks came out of the mount and flew to the front but did not leak, where I'm certain gas cans would have been a very bad idea!
The propane is less worry for keeping a larger amount stored without it going bad as gasoline does.

However, things are rarely only good without bad, so a mention of one thing that can give newer users a problem as they think propane is hard to start!
When we use gasoline, the fual is usually right on top and at the carb all the time. It may start on the ifrst pull.
But when we use propane we get a different situation that helps if we know what to expect and why!
We disconnect the propane from the tank and generator in many cases when we move. That means when we reconnect the hose to tank and generator, it is empty all the way from the tank to the genset!
What makes folks think propane hard to start is that we have to pull the cord a few times to get the air out of the line and propane filling it up to the engine. We can do that with several slower pulls as we don't mean to start it yet.
Then when we have let the air out, we can pull the cord for starting!
Pretty simple and basic thing but it may keep you from throwing your arm out trying to start it when the fuel has not gotten there yet!

We like the Champion dual fuel 3500 for use here at the house. With a DIY soundproofing cover, I have the noise down in the 25-30 DB range, which is great for running while sleeping.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator