Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Renogy 2000W Inverter Charger with Transfer Switch

Hi everyone,

Summary:

We are looking for your feedback on the following Renogy Inverter/Charger https://www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pur...w-lcd-display/

Background:

I'm looking for your feedback. I'm considering upgrading the onboard converter/charger AND adding an inverter. We currently have a 30amp service with a Parallax 7345 panel/charger/converter.

Since we currently have Lead Acid batteries and in the future want to upgrade to Lithium we are going to look at upgrading to an Inverter/Charger unit. Rather than purchasing a stand alone inverter and later a stand alone charger/converter to replace the current 7345.

We have looked at sevaral units and came across the Renogy 200W Inverter Charger launched earlier this year. https://www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pur...w-lcd-display/

Since these are relatively new there isn't much of any literature or reviews on them. Price is also a factor and Renogy is offering a 10% discount. Other units with comparative features are almost double this or more.

So what are your thoughts on this unit?

Thanks
pinchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Did you ever find a answer to this question. I am in the same position but I already have 2 100ah battleborn lithium batteries with the same charger Parallex model 7345.
rainbowdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #3

How about keeping your old inverter... turning off the charger function... and just add a Victron 17A or 25A smart charger, with blue tooth, for $135-$175.

Plus the Victron doubles as a battery maintainer when you put your RV in storage. Just change the charge profile on your cell phone.

I mounted my Victron IP67 (17A) in my bedroom and plug it into my wall socked when I have shore power. And when I store my RV with shore power outside, I connect it to an extension cord, since my BDS is turned off.

Note: If your Parallax chargers also manage your alternator recharge when driving, then just disable it and use a Amp-L device, or battery isolator. I use a Keyline (VSR-Battery Isolator) and it works great.

* You will need more time to recharge your house batteries, but normally you have plenty of time when camping with shore power, and besides, you really don't want to fast-charge your house batteries when you don't need to. (Lithium is not a problem with this... and now I understand Victron is making higher amp chargers, which is setting the "gold standard" for charging and bluetooth control.

* And when you use a Keyline VSR ($80) the house battery is being charged though the engine battery, so you don't have to worry about your alternator burning up since the load goes through your engine battery first. I.e., when you spend hours driving on the road you have plenty of time for your alternator to charge your house batteries through your Keyline VSR and I highly recommend this low cost solution to alternator charging of the house batteries.

Note: I don't have personal use with charging lithium, but the Keyline folks say the diagram below will work fine. Those are there words, not mine, but I have no reason to doubt them. ...And in my coach I plan to have one set of 420AH lead-acid batteries (golf cart type); and then I plan to add a separate bank of lithium, with a separate PSE inverter just to run my residential refrigerator. ...But from the Keyline VSR point of view, it doesn't care if you have one bank of lithium and one bank of lithium. Ams are amps after all.

I know the OP has a smaller RV, but I would still advice to split the inverter function off from the charger function. ...Go with a brand name low frequency PSW inverter for reliability, add a Victron product of any type or types for battery charging, and use a Keyline VSR-Battery Isolator or Bluesea type to link your house battery to your engine battery.

This solution will probably cost less, work better, and give you bluetooth battery monitoring you will like having.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victtron 17A #IP67.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	177954   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Day Victron Charger Report.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	177955  

Click image for larger version

Name:	KeyLine VSR Diagram (LiFeo4).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	177956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Storage Next To Water Heater.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	177957  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'm looking at the 2K Xantrex Pro XC, inverter/charger. It might be more money, but you get what you pay for and Xantrex already has a proven track record....

Tags
inverter, switch, transfer switch