Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2005 jouney house battery issues

Let me start by giving some background. Last fall when i slid the tray out to remove the batteries for the winter the fuse holder broke off the chassis and sparks started flying and i quickly disconnected the positive terminal. Normally i take photo before disconecting anything but with sparks flying that was the last on my mind. Putting the batteries back in this week, i replaced the broken fuse holder along with the 300 amp fuse. Got the 4 6v batteries installed and they test at 12.5. Two issues: (1) in the photo of the wire fitting i believe this is a temperture monitor as the the fitting has two wires (black/red) coming out of it. Is this correct and is it polarity dependent? (2) when I try and turn on the house batteries from the dash switch nothing happens. If i go back and turn on the inverter it turns on and shows the batteries a 12.5v. Any suggestions on where to look? I think I have examined the circuit breakers and fuses but could have missed a location. Thanks, Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210322_153407.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	177983  
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I like chasing these electrical mysteries (as long as it's not me getting greasy!) and your year does have good wiring info online, so we can chase it down but for starters, how about posting up which model of Journey you have and what chassis, Workhorse or Ford, etc. as a way to possibly cut down confusion.
Can you tell us a bit more about the temperature sensor idea? Is that a sensor for outside temp or what does it sense as a place to start looking for it on drawings? On a guess, I might expect polarity to matter due to different colors on wires but it bears checking to avoid possible damage. Being connected direct to batteries seems a bit odd, so does it seem to be original equipment or possibly added later that won't show on Winnebago drawings?
EDIT:
I took a flier and looked at the 36G model and did find a temp sensor connection at the battery, so possible this is correct for your model?

Click these pictures to get a better view or go direct to them down on sheet 3 at this link:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_148961.pdf

But careful on using that info if not the correct model, just a shot in the dark!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	177984   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	177985  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

According to the OP's profile it's a 2005 Journey 36G (which will be on a Freightliner chassis). Wiring diagrams for his coach should be available here: WKP36G

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #4

Morich is right.

This is a thermistor that connects to your Dimensions inverter-charger. You connect it to the NEGATIVE house battery terminal.

If you connect it to positive it will fry ??? inside the inverter and it may stop working.

Note: You can still buy one of these from Sensata for about $35.

Battery Temp Sensor (Old Style) #611622-15

The thermistor measures 22K-omhs at 68F. And if you don't have it connected... your inverter may not turn on.

If the probe is not working right, then the inverter may operate in funny ways. I suppose you could cut it off and solder a 22K-ohm resistor to the two wires, but then you will not get the thermal protection you may need.

I choose to replace mine last summer when the tip practically fell off. But one day you will not be able to buy these. So the 22K-ohm workaround may become your only option to buying a new inverter.

Last tip: Stop using the Dimensions "charge" function all together. Just turn it off at the panel. And start using a Victron 17A or 25A bluetooth charger ($135-$175 on Amazon).. and install it in your bedroom like I did.

This will extend the life of your Dimensions inverter function, and your house batteries, hopefully.

And when you store your RV the Victron doubles as a battery maintainer. (Just turn off your BDS and run an extension cord to the Victron... through the tip-out window if you have one.

The Keyline VSR is the way to go if your alternator is not currently charging your house batteries while you drive. And it's very easy to install when your house batteries are on a tray located above your engine batteries. ($80 on Amazon)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 Dimensions Inverter Connections.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	177987   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Day Victron Charger Report.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	177988  

Name:	Victtron 17A #IP67.jpg