Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 07:51 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I also suspect that voltage is the culprit. The 29.5A rating from Winnebago is going to be based on 120V. 29.5A at 120V = 29.5A x 120V = 3,540 Watts.

Per the National Electrical Code (NEC), the acceptable voltage for a 120V nominal service is 114V - 126V. The actual amp range, therefore can range from 3,450W/126V = 28.1A to 3,540W/114V = 31.0A. Everything else being equal, the dealer's reading of 29A could relate to a supply voltage of 122V. And remember, the 29.5A spec, isn't going to be spot on for every A/C unit.

Note that you need to measure your supply voltage at inside your trailer since the resistance of your extension cord(s) can reduce the voltage below that at your supply outlet.

In any case, assuming everything is apples to apples, a 29.5 amp draw on a 120V/30A supply is cutting things way too close, especially when you take into account the high variability of power quality in RV campgrounds.

Personally, I'd just run one A/C at a time, alternating them until you're at a comfortable temperature and then running the one that's closest to where you are. This will also give you the overhead to watch TV, etc.

Note that I have a similar situation with my 2002 Coleman basement air. Although it's a single unit, it has two compressors. They'll both operate on 30A under perfect conditions but not always.
Thank you, Bob! That is very helpful to know how it is all calculated! I think your suggestion would be a good solution during the day. We wanted to be able to use both at night (Coldest in the bedroom and less cold in the main room) so that the main room wouldn’t be stuffy/too warm since I wake up earlier and close the bedroom door so that my husband can keep sleeping. BUT, we can’t use either unit with the microwave on. Sigh…. I agree that the amp draw is too close to the maximum.
Mbconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:01 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

How about running one A/C plus a freestanding fan to circulate the air after the trailer is cooled down? Maintaining a temperature is much easier than overcoming the initial heat load and one unit may be able to keep up on all but the hottest days.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:17 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Hi Bob, yes, we bought a Venti fan to try to do just that. We haven’t had much success (yet) but the summers down here are hot and muggy, so maybe we need a bigger fan.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:51 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

You'll need a regular household fan that runs off of 120V, preferably one that rotates. A rotating "tower" fan might be a good choice since they don't take up much room. Just watch the wattage (which is measured at the max setting).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tower+fan&ref=nb_sb_noss

Looking ahead, in a couple of months you're going to be heating instead of cooling and wondering why you're using so much propane. We've found that an electric "oil filled" radiator type electric heater does a great job of keeping our motorhome warm after our propane heater heats things up. With no fan, they're completely silent.
They're available in a variety of formats, some tall and some short. The larger ones are generally around 1500W (when set to max) but this isn't a big issue since you're not running your A/C. I've bought two, almost new ones, from Goodwill for under $15.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oil+fille...ref=nb_sb_noss

The small "infrared" heaters with fans can be noisy and not as effective as the radiators for keeping larger areas evenly warm. They are good for blowing warm air in a particular direction.

Also, be aware that your propane heater's fan is a 12V power hog when you're away from shore power.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:04 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the info and the links to the products!! Very much appreciated!
Old 10-19-2022, 09:59 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve77 View Post
I had started another thread, but it was confusing as I stumbled through trying to figure out what was wrong.

My 2021 Minnie 2301BHS is supposed to be able to run two AC's on 30 amp service, see below promotional video from Winnebago. It is pretty clear.

https://youtu.be/OZFiOH4MkZc

Around 1:30 he starts talking about the dual AC running on 30 amps.

My problem is, my AC's are drawing more than 30 amps when they are on with nothing else on. I have a watchdog, and can watch the amp draw on my phone as I turn things on/off. I just had a brand new, dedicated 30 amp receptacle installed in my driveway. So I know the source is not the issue.

I have been in contact with Winnebago and they insist I should be able to run everything on 30 amps.

They said my AC max amp draws would be:

13,500 = 12.6 amps
15,000 = 12.9 amps

But watchdog is showing 14.5 each.

With nothing on = .5 amp draw
One AC steady cooling = 15 amp draw
Both AC steady cooling = 29.5 amp draw

They both run for a few minutes, then eventually they raise to 30.5 amps and the watchdog shuts everything down. This is with nothing else on.

They want me to bring trailer back to dealer, but I find it super unlikely that both brand new AC's are drawing more amps than they should?

Any ideas? Thanks

Just checking to see if you ever sorted out your dual AC problem. I am in the same boat with the same trailer. I think Winnebago sent them out without doing their research because now on the website they are upgrading to 50amp if you get the second AC unit.
Bryantkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:48 PM   #27
Site Team

Greetings Bryantkeith,
Think of the 30 amp service as 3,600 watts available, and the 50 amp service as a twin-50 12,000 watt service. A 3,600 watt system simply cannot power two air conditioners. It is doing the best it can to run one, and to have some reserve for your other appliances.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-20-2022, 02:04 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantkeith View Post
Just checking to see if you ever sorted out your dual AC problem. I am in the same boat with the same trailer. I think Winnebago sent them out without doing their research because now on the website they are upgrading to 50amp if you get the second AC unit.
We, too, are in the exact same situation. Our RV is at the dealer under warranty repair for the same stuff. Like you, they have been quoting amp draws that are simply not accurate. We are going to have a show-and-tell when we get back in town and hope to solve it then. If they are still resistant, we will be escalating it. How do you plan to proceed? This is just soooo frustrating, isn’t it?
Old 10-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #29
Site Team

The solution is what everybody knows and Winnebago is implementing on new TTs… 50-amp service. Now, does anyone think they can get Winnebago to foot the bill for this obvious gaff on their part?? That s the only question.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:29 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Hello, dealing with this exact same issue on our Minnie. We've submitted a warranty claim and it came back with a very vague "will not be resolved under warranty" without any other explanation. Has anyone been able to get Winnebago to fix the issue (best case scenario), upgrade to 50 amp (better than nothing although a lot of sites are still at 30 amp), or add a dedicated plug for the second A/C that will run off a 20 amp circuit? Or simply reimburse for the expense of the second A/C that was installed since it won't work? Trying to figure out next steps. They clearly overpromised here on their capability but I want to know what fixes might be possible from Winnebago. I'd like to avoid a lawsuit ...
GoodTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:15 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTroll View Post
Hello, dealing with this exact same issue on our Minnie. We've submitted a warranty claim and it came back with a very vague "will not be resolved under warranty" without any other explanation. Has anyone been able to get Winnebago to fix the issue (best case scenario), upgrade to 50 amp (better than nothing although a lot of sites are still at 30 amp), or add a dedicated plug for the second A/C that will run off a 20 amp circuit? Or simply reimburse for the expense of the second A/C that was installed since it won't work? Trying to figure out next steps. They clearly overpromised here on their capability but I want to know what fixes might be possible from Winnebago. I'd like to avoid a lawsuit ...
I wish you luck because we got absolutely nowhere with them until we had a lawyer write a letter. Then they agreed to upgrade us to 50 amp at no charge.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the update. Good thing I'm a lawyer, that should make it pretty easy

I wish there was a better fix than switching to 50 amp service, but if that's what it takes...
Old 01-26-2023, 12:13 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbconnolly View Post
I wish you luck because we got absolutely nowhere with them until we had a lawyer write a letter. Then they agreed to upgrade us to 50 amp at no charge.
That's a great outcome. Now you need to make sure the places you camp provide 50A shore power. It may vary from location to location, but, in my experience, this isn't the rule except in newer, more upscale parks. It's rare in state and national parks. Even if it's available, it may be limited to a few sites.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:23 PM   #34
Site Team

In my opinion there are zero downsides to a 50-amp capable RV.

You buy a simple "dogbone" adapter for the few places that don't have 50-amp and that's that.

We see 50-amp available in probably 90% of the campgrounds we go to. Heck, our favorite National Forest Campground has 50-amp sites in the woods at 8300' elevation. And, not just one or two. They have 34 sites - half are electric and half offer no power. All the electric sites have 30 and 50 amp service.

Our favorite State Park doesn't. But, that doesn't keep us away except in the hottest temps when we need both A/Cs.

Here's what a NFS campground with 50-amp looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haviland Class A.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	730.9 KB
ID:	185065  
Old 01-26-2023, 04:02 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

We do most of our camping in Texas state parks for now, and from what I've seen, that's pretty much limited to 30 amp. We made due in 100+ temps last summer but with only 1 A/C working, it was still warm in the Minnie. Usable, but not comfortable.

I'm wondering if upgrading to 50 amp service also includes a new (or the same?) EMS unit that would still be usable when on 30 amp service. Seems like it may be necessary to shed the load from the microwave, fridge, hot water heater, etc. when running even a single A/C unit in some instances. Mbconnolly, how has your experience been with the upgraded 50 amp system?