Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2023, 10:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lithium Upgrade? Zamp zs-30A solar controller

My '16 Aspect has this along with a 100 watt panel on the roof from the factory. It currently has 2 Lifeline AGM batteries but I'd like to put two 100AH lithiums in it instead. My question is, the Zamp zs-30A is compatible with lithium batteries but is everything else?? Such as the converter or do I have to further investigate? The Zamp can regulate up to 510 watts so I'd just add two 190's and have a decent little solar / lithium system without ripping everything apart and starting over.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Team

The Zamp controller is fine with Lithium (LFP) batteries…. But your Converter and your Alternator are not.

You always need to “or do I have to further investigate” on these things.

It’s not terribly difficult to change out the Charger in your Converter. But protecting your alternator can require some research and planning to get right.

Your 2016 Class C was not designed for LFP batteries. It’s not exactly ripping everything out and starting over, but it’s a process that requires planning and expenditure to complete.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Its over at storage, its got the Zamp and a Xantrex 1000. I'll have to dig deeper to find out what else it has.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT RV View Post
Its over at storage, its got the Zamp and a Xantrex 1000. I'll have to dig deeper to find out what else it has.
The online online parts catalog may help:

https://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Note there are two catalogs for the 2016 Aspect 27k based on serial number.

Most of what you need will be found under "Item 4 Electric". Once there you'll find a section for 110 Volt Components and another for 12V Components. From there it's a bit of a treasure hunt since the inverter is in the 110V section and the Converter is in the 12V section.

It looks like you'll need to fill in the block at the top of the page (Model/Year/Color/Serial Number to retrieve detailed info on any part.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
Site Team

A 2023-2024 Winnebago Class C will most likely have an "Auto-Detect" converter/charger. But in 2016? Not very likely. I'd say no chance but never say never.

So, the charging section of your converter charger would need to be changed to provide a LFP charging profile. The best you can get out of an older converter charger is an AGM profile and many don't even have that.

You can charge an LFP battery with an AGM charing profile, but it will never charge fully and over time you can hamper the battery from doing so long term.

The problem with your alternator is that the LFP batteries can accept much higher charging current than an AGM or FLA battery. So, if you drive with very depleted LFP batteries they can make your alternator overheat and actually burn up as they try to satisfy your LFP battery's power needs.

There are various things you can do to solve that problem, but they require you to research the alternatives and decide what's the best way to proceed.

I will tell you that with LFP batteries you will really appreciate all the various benefits they provide. Once you jump through all the hurdles to get them installed properly the rewards make it all worth it.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The problem with your alternator is that the LFP batteries can accept much higher charging current than an AGM or FLA battery. So, if you drive with very depleted LFP batteries they can make your alternator overheat and actually burn up as they try to satisfy your LFP battery's power needs.
One solution to this problem is a DC-to-DC charger. Here are a couple of videos on this topic:

https://youtu.be/EcVjPap9dkY?si=3W3E1KdtPVU02Rv8

https://youtu.be/lvOYUfSBlmM?si=Zi1x7LxhX3r8XCcW
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Lithium upgrade experience

I recently completed a LiFePO upgrade on my 2019 Navion 24G
I followed the guideline . mods description on the https://www.viewnavion.com/ website.
The information is very good and the conversion worked very well.
I just completed a round trip from Ormond Beach, FL to Austin, TX and tested the upgrade - it worked flawlessly.
Yes you do need to investigate and learn a few things as I had to but it was interesting.

2019 Navion 24G
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Some additional issues I see are 1) is the wiring from the 100 watt panel large enough to handle another 390 watts and 2) I have read where you should not mix panel wattages. Keep them all the same.
dtrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
One solution to this problem is a DC-to-DC charger. Here are a couple of videos on this topic:

https://youtu.be/EcVjPap9dkY?si=3W3E1KdtPVU02Rv8

https://youtu.be/lvOYUfSBlmM?si=Zi1x7LxhX3r8XCcW
Those were some enlightening videos. One question, Victron has isolated and non-isolated chargers, are they referring to isolated ground or battery isolation? In other words, does the non isolated keep the two battery systems connected even when shut off requiring the use of an isolation solenoid? If this is the case could one install the charger is series with the existing BIS and retain the boost function?
Or are they referring to systems with separate grounds?

Also how do you size a DC-DC charger? I have a 220 amp alternator and Mercedes originally advised to limit auxiliary charging to 40 amps but they later revised that to 80 amps, but I see a lot of people going with 20 or 30 amp DC-DC chargers on the Mercedes chassis, even with 300ah batteries.

I really like the Victron model as it doesn't require an ignition wire, it automatically senses the alternator output and starts charging.

Tags
solar, upgrade