Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Instant Pot

Does anyone use an instant pot in a Winnebago View (2019)? We'd like to use one as we are driving so when we stop for the night we have food ready and do not have to cook. Any help/experience shared would be appreciated.
Dennis K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Site Team

The smallest Instapot uses over 700w of AC. Bigger models use 1000w to 1100w.

Unless your View has a 2000w inverter (many have only 1000w) you might not have enough power from your inverter to run one while driving. Assuming you can keep it from sliding around as you drive.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The smallest Instapot uses over 700w of AC. Bigger models use 1000w to 1100w.

Unless your View has a 2000w inverter (many have only 1000w) you might not have enough power from your inverter to run one while driving. Assuming you can keep it from sliding around as you drive.
If they have a 1000 watt inverter they should have sufficient power for the 700 watt Instapot. Presumably their alternator will be supplying enough power while they are driving to keep the house batteries charged.

My wife now uses both the 750 watt electric tea kettle and the 800 watt toaster from the 1000 watt inverter in our Fuse while camping and I have not seen any issues, at least so far.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You have a generator in you unit correct? If so why not run the generator while traveling and use a slow cooker.
When we travel for 6 plus hours we will start the slow cooker and when we arrive at the destination dinner is ready. We set the slow cooker on the counter and have yet to have it slide off (knock on wood). It just makes for a great end of day meal.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
We set the slow cooker on the counter and have yet to have it slide off (knock on wood). It just makes for a great end of day meal.
I think you've been incredibly lucky. Why not sit it in the sink?

I agree with the generator suggestion.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The cord is not long enough to place slow cooker in sink. I will have to say however the DW does block it in with non slide things.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
The cord is not long enough to place slow cooker in sink. I will have to say however the DW does block it in with non slide things.
I hate to be the one to ask the obvious question, but why not use a short extension cord?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

ajmike no reason! The sink is a split sink 70/30 so the right side is way to small. The left could be used w/extension cord will look into that
Old 10-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I sometimes use a "thermal cooker" while driving - it's similar to a slow cooker but needs no energy input while operating. Basically a big thermos bottle - just put the food into the "inner pot", heat on the stove to boiling, then take it off the stove and put it in the "outer pot", an insulated container. The residual heat slow cooks the food over the next several hours. Various models available, I have a Tayama pretty basic one, works fine.
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I use a short extension cord that is used for air conditioners, washing machine and other heavy duty appliances. They are grey in color and can be found at most hardware stores.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I hate to be the one to ask the obvious question, but why not use a short extension cord?
Agreed. Because while you drive, it’s a great time to exercise your generator, which should be done monthly, for an hour or so.

So why not kill two birds with one stone?
Old 10-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Crock pot in sink . Generator on.
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Works really well, speeds up cooking! Seems to work better on shore power than the generator. We also try to cook with it outside due to the amount of steam it releases if you have to do a “quick release” (we feel it puts too much humidity inside).
Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I thought about doing similar however having been a short order cook I can whip up dinner in about the time it takes the wife and kids to get the coach setup on the site and the table set so I have mixed feelings about it.

Running the generator long enough to run the full cycle to cook something in a Crock Pot can use up quite a bit of fuel especially on a small Diesel Sprinter based coach with a Propane Generator.

An appliance extension cord to get your Crock Pot safely set into the sink would be just about mandatory and even then in an emergency situation you would not really want the lid popping off sending piping hot food all over the place or to be hit by a hot heavy crock pot liner.

Some day we all will experience an extreme driving situation and a loose crock pot even set in the sink can add to the extremity of it all. Just because it has not happened yet is no guarantee that it will not happen if you do it often enough.

Like I said mixed feelings over it and since I can make dinner pretty quickly it has not been an issue. Some may benefit by reading up on how to make 5, 10 and 15 minute meals and may really appreciate not having to cart around the extra appliance especially if they have one of the Sub-C or other smaller coaches.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Take a look at a video I made that shows the power that a Instant Pot uses as it goes through the entire cooking cycle. You can view it at:

hintro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
“...

Running the generator long enough to run the full cycle to cook something in a Crock Pot can use up quite a bit of fuel especially on a small Diesel Sprinter based coach with a Propane Generator.

An appliance extension cord to get your Crock Pot safely set into the sink would be just about mandatory and even then in an emergency situation you would not really want the lid popping off sending piping hot food all over the place or to be hit by a hot heavy crock pot liner.

Some day we all will experience an extreme driving situation and a loose crock pot even set in the sink can add to the extremity of it all. Just because it has not happened yet is no guarantee that it will not happen if you do it often enough.

Like I said mixed feelings over it and since I can make dinner pretty quickly it has not been an issue. Some may benefit by reading up on how to make 5, 10 and 15 minute meals and may really appreciate not having to cart around the extra appliance especially if they have one of the Sub-C or other smaller coaches.
“...about the time it takes the wife and kids to get the coach setup on the site and the table set...”

They do all that for you? You’re the man!

A crock pot yes, but these InstantPots, won’t have a lid coming off anytime without your intervention. That said, I could become a hot missile in an accident...

Heck, I was a chef/restauranteur also, but this is all about pulling in late, and dinner is done. It has it’s place, once in awhile...
Old 10-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Not sure why you'd run generator to use an Instant Pot and not just plug it in while traveling with Aux on. Pls explain best option. Thanks.
JJohn0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohn0711 View Post
Not sure why you'd run generator to use an Instant Pot and not just plug it in while traveling with Aux on. Pls explain best option. Thanks.
Well, for several reasons. First and foremost might be, that not all, but most RV 120v sockets are only powered when on shoreline, or generator power.

Most RV inverters typically power tv’s, compressor refrigerators, and such.

Now you can do what we do, and tap into one of those inverter powered sockets for when driving down the road, and NOT, on generator power.

That brings up the last issue which is, how much wattage does your Instantpot draw—some smaller models might be fine, while others larger home version may draw too much power for your inverter, so you need to know both of those variables—the power your Instantpot draws during MAX start up, and your inverter’s capacity.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

The instant pot is one of the most efficient cooking appliances you can have. Other than initial power on use, it uses very little power most of the time. Unless the item to be cooked is a large roast, cooking time is very short.

Of course if you prepare the ingredients ahead of time, store in a bag or container in the refrigerator, you could pop in the pot and cook when you arrive at the park. Most meals would be done by the time you get set up.

The engine alternator will charge your batteries as you drive, so even a 1000w inverter will power the pot with no problem.

Wishing you good eats!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:52 PM   #20
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Sous vide RV cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
The instant pot is one of the most efficient cooking appliances you can have. Other than initial power on use, it uses very little power most of the time. Unless the item to be cooked is a large roast, cooking time is very short.

Of course if you prepare the ingredients ahead of time, store in a bag or container in the refrigerator, you could pop in the pot and cook when you arrive at the park. Most meals would be done by the time you get set up.

The engine alternator will charge your batteries as you drive, so even a 1000w inverter will power the pot with no problem.

Wishing you good eats!
Good points! Now, allow me to throw a new wrench into the works. Why aren’t more people using Sous-Vide? You an make a prepared meal at home, (or on the road), and cook it in a water bath (under pressure).

As an ex-chef, we use this technique all of the time—most high-end restaurants do now.

It also works fantastic for reheating foods, without the issues in microwave cooking.

As for cooking a steak for example, one could cook their steak to the ideal temperature for HOURS, while driving, and you CAN’T over cook it!

When you get to camp, all you have to to is sear it doe 30 seconds. DONE perfectly, every time....

Tags
cooking, instant pot, meals