Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-17-2024, 03:43 PM   #1
Bluemax

Gps upgrade for 2016 View

Has anyone upgraded there GPS (Rand Mc Nally)
We have a 2016 View and can no longer update.
Jerry L Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Jerry,
There have been discussions about this on these two threads:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...te-361684.html
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...le-363763.html
I still use an old Garmin with the suction cup on the window.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 01-17-2024, 05:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Garmin RV 795, currently $ 360. 7" screen. Versions available with larger screen and a dash cam for larger cost.

It cost more to buy but it will last and Garmin stands behind their RV GPS for the long haul, with regular updates. Works without any cell service. Has never given me any issues with routing me to a low clearance situation or weight restricted bridge situation. The data base is not perfect, the speed limits displayed are sometimes inaccurate, but that's a minor issue.

If you never travel where your cell service stops working then you might consider one of the advanced cell phone GPS apps that has RV routing features.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Rand McNally has exited the RV GPS market. Their existing units with the lifetime maps updates has expired.
RM considers any unit more than 3 years old to be obsolete and lifetime maps are no longer supported. This webpage lists the only products supported:
https://help.randmcnally.com/search/...ds=map+updates
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:32 PM   #5
Bluemax

Thank you all for the replies.
Jerry L Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:33 PM   #6
Site Team

If your Xite system uses SD cards you can purchase a new SD card with a new different brand GPS system. The cost is, or was when I ought mine, $250. You just remove the RAND SD card and insert the new NavNGo SD card (NNG).

You get free map updates for the first year, I believe but don’t quote me. After that you purchase map updates from the NaviExtras.com website. They update twice a year. I got one free update, but didn’t use the NNG system for a year and my free maps expired. Now, buying a new update is $80! Yikes.

Until just recently I stuck with the Rand SD card as I preferred it. But I decided to use the NNG card for the trip I’m on now and I like it pretty well.

To buy the NNG SD card you need to contact Riverpark Support as the handle all Xite products in the US. (800) 442-7717
Old 01-24-2024, 04:59 PM   #7
raj
Winnebago Camper

After Garmin told me that there was no way to update the model I had, I just decided to use my phone with either Apple Maps or Google Maps and have never looked back. Google Maps always has up-to-date traffic info and while Garmin has traffic info over radio, it's not updated as often as Google. Of course, my phone plan has unlimited data, so I use it for this as well as my Internet connection on the road (as long as there's a cell signal, but if that's poor, I have a cellular booster in the trailer).

What I'd like to find is mapping software (Carplay, if possible) which would make allowances for a trailer (no low underpasses, obviously, but also no dirt roads and no U-turns on small streets), plus giving time estimates which take into account limitations such as not over 65 and not over 55 in California, etc.
raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry L Beck View Post
Has anyone upgraded there GPS (Rand Mc Nally)
We have a 2016 View and can no longer update.
About 3 years ago I upgraded to a Garmin. I would have stayed with the Rand McNally, but I read several stories, some here, about the Rand McNally brand being sold 2 or 3 times withing a relatively short time, and with each new owner being further and further away from the public travel industry, i.e. a "holding company or something similar. That did not inspire any confidence in me that a new RM GPS would continue to be supported. Thus, I bought a Garmin RV specific model that has more bells and whistles than the RM.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:36 PM   #9
Site Team

If for no other reason, I like Garmin because their Christmas commercials are very clever and wonderfully funny.
Thanks, Eagle5

Tags
gps, upgrade, view