Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #1
Site Team

Gave up on HDMI Matrix

For a number of years, Winnebago put a HDMI Matrix device in their motorhomes. Sold by Pace Electronics the device allows you to connect a Bueray player, and two "Satellite" receivers and then distribute different - or the same - sources to all the TVs in the RV. Instead of HDMI cabling running to all the TVs, there are 3-Ethernet cables running to each TV location.

The HDMI Matrix accepts HDMI inputs but then converts that to Ethernet and sends that signal to network Balun receivers at each TV that convert the Ethernet back to HDMI to feed the TVs.

When it works... it's brilliant. Unfortunately, the equipment is buggy and prone to failure.

I began having issues with the bedroom TV losing signal almost immediately after buying the coach. At that point I knew little about the system or even what was actually wrong so, I unplugged the Balun receiver at that TV and added a Roku to the TV. Problem solved.

4-years later the Living Room TV started losing signal. Determined to keep my motorhome "stock" I worked with Pace Electronics on a fix. They were very helpful and sent me a new Matrix and a new Balun. When we discovered through testing it was the Balun they took back the Matrix and just charged me $50 for the balun.

Now a little over a year later the living room TV started losing signal again. I did some testing - now very familiar with the system and as best I could tell, this time, it was the main Matrix box.

So, that "keep it stock" commitment to future owners went out the door. Now with a new Roku at each of my 3-TVs I'm done with it. I know in years past Winnebago and other manufacturers used a "BOMB" device (box of many buttons) to handle this function. Then recently have used HDMI Splitters to do the same. As best I can tell these attempts at "simplifying" the distribution of TV sources to various TVs in the RV have all had serious problems and many were ultimately ripped out by users.

At least I'm not alone in this situation.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran RV Owner

Mine has generally worked OK. Maybe a couple times, I lost signal to the living room TV and had to power cycle the Matrix to get it to work.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis59 View Post
Mine has generally worked OK. Maybe a couple times, I lost signal to the living room TV and had to power cycle the Matrix to get it to work.
That’s how it started with me. Than it happened more often. Finally, nothing but black screens with a few random flashes of green and digital hash. This last time the Matrix box kept rebooting all by itself and flashing the red and blue lights, etc. it was doing it constantly.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Purchased our present MH in 2017. The Pace Matrix we have can support 4 systems. Had one remote device to outside go sour. Replaced and never had a problem since.

Only running 3 systems, LR, BR and Outside.

Might be that the Ethernet cables are old and cracking.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Yes, I removed our PACE and put in a much cheaper version from Amazon and never had any issues after that. However, I also installed an AppleTV at each TV and liked that even better. :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Might be that the Ethernet cables are old and cracking.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, it’s not very evident without looking for it, but each TV/Balun receiver has 3-Ethernet cables. Only two are used. The third is a spare. It sits unused at both the Matrix and at the Balun. Each TV location has a different color Ethernet cable set. And, there are taped stripes on each of the three cables to identify them. The two cables being used at each location have one and two tape stripes. The third unused cable has three stripes. If one Ethernet cable gets damaged you can unplug it and plug in the spare.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine has failed twice since 2013 and both times replacing the power transformer fixed it. When it starts to go bad, it interferes with the matrix
Old 01-07-2023, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
Mine has failed twice since 2013 and both times replacing the power transformer fixed it. When it starts to go bad, it interferes with the matrix
Yeah, I tried that the last time a couple of years ago but it didn’t fix anything. I could have tried that this time but just decided to quit the whole thing.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:26 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Yes, I removed our PACE and put in a much cheaper version from Amazon and never had any issues after that. However, I also installed an AppleTV at each TV and liked that even better. :-)
Worked for us too. We also have Apple TV’s in our house and they all synch up flawlessly…
Old 01-07-2023, 12:54 PM   #10
Site Team

If anyone is buying OEM replacements of these parts, don't get them from Winnebago. Pace will sell to you directly at 1/2 to 2/3rds cheaper.

When Pace sent me a new Matrix box to test it was $210 and Winnebago was selling it for over $500.

Pace Electronics Tech Support - 1-800-444-7223
https://www.paceintl.com/

The model number of my system was CT4X44V2
Old 01-07-2023, 03:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, it’s not very evident without looking for it, but each TV/Balun receiver has 3-Ethernet cables. Only two are used. The third is a spare. It sits unused at both the Matrix and at the Balun. Each TV location has a different color Ethernet cable set. And, there are taped stripes on each of the three cables to identify them. The two cables being used at each location have one and two tape stripes. The third unused cable has three stripes. If one Ethernet cable gets damaged you can unplug it and plug in the spare.
Yes!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem. Pace solved it by sending me a new switcher and what I am calling sender and receiver blocks to replace the switches at the tv. It works great. The only problem I have is on one line, I have what I call “jiggling” after a few days. The fix is simply turning the main switch box off and back on so the system does a new hand shake and immediately corrects the problem.

We have been semi full timing for 5 months using the system every day and it works great. I fully recommend the modification.

I am away from my notes for sometime, or I could give you more details. Just call Pace and use my name, Ardis Almond. Ask them what they did for me, they will know.
Memory Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The Matrix box on our 2016 Journey was flakey from the time we took delivery. Worked with Pace extensively. They replaced the power cord and transformer. Did some other fiddling around. I did learn that the Matrix box is highly heat sensitive. If we are parked with that side of the bus in the afternoon sun, I leave compartment door open. Seems to help. But the darn thing still occassionally just looses its mind. I have to unplug it and let it set for a bit. Sometimes it takes a couple of restarts. I don't look forward to the day it gives it up completely.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I bought an HDMI matrix device with built in PIP and then ran my own HDMI cables. After a year, the matrix device failed and I added a fan to the over-the-driver cabinet where the satellite and other equipment was. I'd left the door open whenever I parked but it still got way hot inside.

The 2nd matrix device lasted even longer but it started going flakey just a couple months ago. Really annoying these devices that are so handy don't last very long. Poor engineering is what I attribute it to.

One other problem I've had is that one of those HDMI cables I bought was a flat cable. Fancy! But it failed. Had to replace it with a good round one.

I like the PIP enough that I just consider those HDMI matrix devices as a maintenance item. Until I run into one that lasts that is.

I've never tried this brand but basically they all have the same mobo inside made by one manufacturer in China and just put a different box around it. The super similar specs tell me that. I see that this brand has a bunch of air holes around the periphery so that's good for cooling. And it's remote is the same as the other brands I've purchased.

Zettaguard 4X1 with PIP

Edit: Opps, didn't notice that the OP's HDMI matrix device changed the signals to Ethernet. Oh well.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote