Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HDMI 4x4 Matrix

The Matrix in my 2015 Meridian is a piece of garbage. I have had it worked on 3 times and it still does not work. It will not pick up the signal for the DVD player on any channel or one of my satellite receivers. Two tvs (of 4) will only pick up outside cable.

Has anyone completely changed out the matrix and gone with a different brand? If so, what did you go to?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I have the same Matrix HDMI unit with no problem. Have you selected the HDMI input from the source or input button on your TV remote control? If it is in TV mode it will only work on cable or local Antenna. I use mine for satellite too.

Now don't get mad at me but did you read all the instructions about it in the big briefcase that came with RV?

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sounds a bit confusing. When the TV is set for HDMI input there is no channel selection. Make sure TV's are set to HDMI, and DVD or Sat Receiver is on and operating. Also the LG DVD does have other outputs, not just HDMI, make sure it is setup properly. There have been a few reports of the Matrix power supply have stopped working.

I have had to shut off the Matrix head unit and reset the remote units, maybe 6 times in 18 months.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The HDMI 4x4 Matrix in our 2014 Adventurer was replaced twice under warranty. Now, after the switcher gets warm, it stops working for 6 seconds every so often. The "skip back" button on our DVR remote happens to go back 6 seconds each press of the button. So, just a minor irritant. The box seems sturdy being metal with solid buttons etc. I was thinking of buying a spare before WBGO comes up with a new way to perform that function and the switcher become unavailable. Cost is 300 bucks. Probably worth it so DW doesn't miss the "Voice."
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:34 AM   #5
aa1ssradio

Ours works awesome. Not one problem with it what so ever.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My 2015 Adventurer Matrix is working OK. It is a little confusing in the beginning. All I can add is make sure the blue lights are illuminated at the box for the destination TV and the small box at the TV. Also, all TV's should have there settings put to 1080I instead of Auto.
Primetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had/have the overheat issue that causes the signal freeze. Since that first happened I shut off the Matrix box when not in use, no more issue.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Try setting all your TVs and sources to 720p. Had all kinds of trouble with mine until I did this. A good switch is much better at converting signals but they are in the $2K range. I paid about $150 for mine.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The Pace International matrix box on our new Journey malfunctioned shortly after delivery. I couldn't get the sat to work on the front TV and the DVD player wouldn't work on anything. It would play a short period of time and then give me a green screen, play for a bit and then a green screen, etc.

I called Pace tech support. They were very helpful. They had me turn off the matrix power and unplug the power supply. The tech said that the matrix just sometimes looses it mind. Sometimes it takes more than one power reset to fix it. It did on mine. I only had mine malfunction once. It has been fine now for the last two months even after moving from campground to campground several times.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I have the same Matrix HDMI unit with no problem. Have you selected the HDMI input from the source or input button on your TV remote control? If it is in TV mode it will only work on cable or local Antenna. I use mine for satellite too.

Now don't get mad at me but did you read all the instructions about it in the big briefcase that came with RV?

I know how to use it. It keeps breaking. When I use the hdmi Selector to choose the DVD feed, the lights stay red for every TV channel on the matrix box. The matrix selector for the outside TV and 2nd lounge TV will not lock onto any signal.

This has been an ongoing problem. They have repaired the unit a couple of times. It's broken again.
So, has anyone switched out the matrix for a different brand? I would like to find a more reliable unit.
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I cannot get the blue lights to lock on. I either get all red lights, or all 4 Blue lights flash when I push the button but won't lock onto any input.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have this one:
4X4 True Matrix HDMI® Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0) - Monoprice.com
Which make and model do you have?

As I say, if you make everything the same resolution (ie 720p) it might help...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately I dont think that is a viable upgrade for Winnebago coaches using the current HMDI switch. The switch uses Cat5 cabling from the switch to the TV. The True Matrix appears to be HDMI only.

4x4 Matrix HDMI® Switch & Splitter over CAT5e/CAT6 Cable w/ Remote - Extend Upto 131ft - Monoprice.com
Old 03-11-2016, 06:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

XBoater, I have the Matrix with the CAT 5/6 cables & and am having major issues with mine also. I have a gen 1 system which says Matrix 4x4 on the front. Pace sold me a new power supply which did nothing but drain my bank account for $28. I am able to get this thing to work with an HDMI cable directly to the tv bypassing the small receiver at the tv. However I can't leave this like this because it comes through the cabinet doors & not through the slideout wiring. I have looked with out any luck to find something else to do the job of the Matrix .
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have looked and can not find a system that is an hdmi-cat hybrid like this one. There are hdmi 4x4 switches but 3x the price. Then you need to figure an hdmi-cat5 conversion.

OK so the tv works, perhaps the issue is the small converter box at the tv? It is also the ir repeater for the remotes.

I am confused by the bypass, is there an hdmi from the main switch to the converter box under your tv? Or are you running an hdmi direct from the component to the TV bypassing the switch all together?

Are you the second owner? Did it ever work?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:48 AM   #16
aa1ssradio

I originally had an issue with mine where lights on some channels were all red. Switched cat 5 on that channel and all OK. Try that
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
We had similar problems with our Matrix box in our 2015 Journey. The factory service center replaced the box last August and it's worked fine ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Ranger Smith, my bypass is an HDMI from the Matrix output for component #4 directly to the back of the tv. The ir is not working. This is only temporary until I get another system to replace this one. I am the first owner & never had a problem for 3 years until this February when we drove from the East coast to the West coast in 1 week. This is not the first time we have made this trip. However it finally decided to give it up on this trip about 2/3 the way across the country. Although I can not honestly say this matrix & IR setup has been flawless, but I could always just play with the buttons on the Matrix transmitter front panel to get it to work as needed, until now.

I have found a few other systems that I think may be a better made component to replace the Pace Matrix. with this one being my first choice. 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switcher with CAT5 Outs Total system $699.99. I am pretty sure this will be a plug & play setup, The other choices I have found will require a addition component for each tv to change from HDMI to CAT 5e/6 cables. No matter how you look at it it's going to cost $500 +. I have not read any good reviews on the Pace Electronics Matrix gen 1 or Gen 2. I did a search for "matrix " along with searching on Amazon I found several alternatives.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
XBoater, I have the Matrix with the CAT 5/6 cables & and am having major issues with mine also. I have a gen 1 system which says Matrix 4x4 on the front. Pace sold me a new power supply which did nothing but drain my bank account for $28. I am able to get this thing to work with an HDMI cable directly to the tv bypassing the small receiver at the tv. However I can't leave this like this because it comes through the cabinet doors & not through the slideout wiring. I have looked with out any luck to find something else to do the job of the Matrix .
Here's an update to my Matrix system; As I mentioned in the previous post I bought a new power supply form Pace. Initially it did not seem to make any difference. However after leaving my motor home with my DW for 2 weeks & she kept the doors to the equipment cabinet open, I then made sure all the connections to the matrix were in the proper positions. Cat 5e/6 , HDMI's & IR plugs. Everything started working correctly. The matrix was much cooler with the doors open & the air was able to circulate in the cabinet. So with this system now working I ordered a thermostatically controlled fan to install in the cabinet from Coolerguys on Amazon. The fan came with an inner & outer grill, 5"x5" fan ac plug & thermostat with switch, & all the hardware to assemble. I cut a 5" x 5" hole in the side of the cabinet & installed this fan assembly. All is now working properly. The tech from Pace gave me this idea because he said that when Winnebago installed all this equipment in this cabinet they did not give any consideration to air flow for cooling. When completed the fan looks as though it was factory & it is very quite.