Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2023, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can I Use This? BanffCliff 60W Foldable Solar Panel

Hello everyone!
I'm new in the Winnie Owners forum and a little confuse about all the information and option available in the solar département...
I have a Micro Minnie 2106fbs (2018) with "solar ready" wiring installed. I would like to use solar panel(s), basicly to charge my battery during the day. Just for 12V équipements, phones and tablets throught the USB port inside the RV.
Has usual I bought something without getting fully informed!!
I bouth a BanffCliff 60W portable solar panel with "smart B.I.D charging technology" saying that "It can recognize your device automatically and determine the optimal voltage for efficient and safe charging"

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/BanffClif.../dp/B09BC5SFQQ

1-Does anyone knows what the Smart B.I.D technology is?
2-Can I plug this panel direcly into the RV SAE port without a charge controller
3- If not can I use this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Solar-Panels-C.../dp/B07F85CDM6

Because it says that it doen't consume power during the night !! Is it important?

Thanks for any inputs
Old 06-13-2023, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi and Welcome,
I've never heard of this brand. And initially looking at it it seems to be made to charge a "solar generator." Normally, "solar generators" have a built in solar charge controller so because of that you need to connect a portable panel that does NOT have a solar charge controller.

It's difficult to give you an easy answer to your question. It depends on if you have any existing solar panels on the roof of your travel trailer. If there isn't you need a portable panel WITH a built in solar charge controller. Which this BanffCliff doesn't seem to have.

These BanffCliff panels don't seem to have a solar charge controller but do seem to be able to adapt their output to safely charge your batteries due to their BID claim. I'm not sure I'd want to go with that.

What I would want is to determine which kind of portable solar panel I needed - one with a solar charge controller, or one without. And then buy the correct panel for my travel trailer.

So, lets start at the beginning and figure out if you need a solar charge controller or not. If you need one, that super basic and super cheap controller you linked to above would work. But it's very limited in ability.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks CreativePart. Sorry for the long time to replay, I've been banned twice trying to thank you ! You are right, I will get a solar charge controller (of good quality) just in case. And I will have it if I upgrade one day to more powerful solar panel.
Thanks again !
Old 06-25-2023, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper View Post
Thanks CreativePart. Sorry for the long time to replay, I've been banned twice trying to thank you !
I'm not sure what was causing your account to be banned. I looked at it and all seems fine. It did show you as banned - so I changed that. And I made some settings changes that hopefully will keep that from recurring. But since I'm not positive what it could be, it's hard for me to know if it's corrected.

I think you were being "auto-ban" for some anomaly in your account. Perhaps, the system doesn't like the "_" in your username. I'm just not sure.

I'll keep and eye out for your account. Please reply to this post so I can see what happens now that I made changes.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Please reply to this post so I can see what happens now that I made changes.
OK, thanks for looking for the problem, appreciated....
Old 06-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

60W is pretty small for most practical purposes. I'm not familiar with your TT, but, generally, solar-ready means the wiring is in place for roof mounted panels. If it has a port in the side for a portable panel, I'd consider getting at least 100W and maybe 200W. Renogy makes some reasonably priced options, here's a link to the 100W panel. Note that rigid, rooftop panels cost about half as much, but without a controller. A properly sized controller can handle several panels.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/monocrist...718122&sr=8-5i

If you have a side panel port, you'll need to confirm it matches the polarity of the portable panel before plugging anything in. If not, you'll need an adapter.

Roof-mounted panels have the advantage of always being deployed and working, whether your TT is in outside storage, traveling down the road, etc. Their main downside is they don't work well in the shade and we like shady camping spots.

Portable panels can be set up for optimal sun exposure but they need to be set up first. They're also subject to theft when you're away from your campsite.

Many consider the optimal set-up is to have several hundred watts of rooftop panels plus a portable panel to optimize exposure in shady spots when in camp.

If you bought this from Amazon and can still return it, I recommending doing so until you're more educated on the topic. There are a lot of applicable threads on Winnieowners. While educating yourself, you'll also learn about improving your battery bank. The single 100 amp hour dual purpose Marine/RV battery isn't up to the task.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If you bought this from Amazon and can still return it, I recommending doing so until you're more educated on the topic. There are a lot of applicable threads on Winnieowners. While educating yourself, you'll also learn about improving your battery bank. The single 100 amp hour dual purpose Marine/RV battery isn't up to the task.
Wow, thanks BobC. I will try to return it and get a 100W with controller. I did see some battery arrangement in the forum. I will look into that some day (lack of time for the moment)
Thanks again...
Old 06-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here are a couple of threads that may help:

1. Portable Panel Port- Not exactly your rig but this may help. Note the discussion about whether or not the side port is wired directly to the battery or not.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ns-356837.html

2. Full Solar/Battery Install- Again, not your rig but a Micro Minnie. This is well done and well documented.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...bh-366303.html

Note that you're limited in battery capacity if you leave them on the tongue, due to excess tongue weight. If you mount them in the compartment under the bed, you'll need AGM batteries or LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries. Traditional Lead Acid batteries need ventilation and wouldn't be safe under your bed. LiFePO4 batteries have distinct advantages but high up front costs, etc. They're not for everyone, especially those with modest power needs. Another topic for your education.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, panel, solar panel