Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie Solar Ready Questions

Can anyone tell me what type of plug is the Solar ready on newer Micro Minnie's?
Or a photo even better.

Also, this is only a wire that goes directly to the battery, right?

TIA
Berty222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Team

In general, WBGO has been using ZAMP plugs with SAE connectors on their solar installs.

I don't have any info on the Micro Minnie, so I don't know specifically.

Is the connector on the outside of the TT or in a compartment?

From what I've seen discussed they are Zamp SAE connectors and they require you to use a portable solar panel or suitcase that has a BUILT IN solar charge controller. OR you can simply get a 100w panel and a separate solar charge controller and make up your own portable kit.

If you use a 5w or 10w panel you wouldn't need a charge controller, but once you get to 30w and up you would need one.

The reason you need a solar charge controller on your unit is that it's directly wired to your batteries. If you add a solar panel without a charge controller you can over charge your batteries. The charge controller keeps that from happening.

Here's what a ZAMP SAE plug looks like on the side of a RV:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sae plug.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	173182  
Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
Site Team

I looked at 2020 Micro Minnie documentation online.

First, it says there is solar prep on the roof. And second it says it's solar controller prep.

Then I looked at towable Operator's Manuals and see nothing mentioned.

To get the answers you need I'd suggest a call to Winnebago Customer Service. However, I don't know if they are staffed now with the factory closed. I think they are, but you'd have to try to find out.

Perhaps your Operator's Manual is more complete than the generalized ones available online. For sure I would check there first.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

First, it says there is solar prep on the roof. And second it says it's solar controller prep..
I don't know about the second, but moving the connection up top was a change for 2020. And a good change. I really don't care about the connection on the side of my unit.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #5
Site Team

It seems lately like a lot of WBGO brochures, manuals and websites are a bit long on Marketing info and at the same time a bit shy on details.

This isn't the first question we've seen here about a Winnebago feature that's mentioned but not detailed anywhere. An example of one was that question about the Lithium Option on Navions, etc.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
It seems lately like a lot of WBGO brochures, manuals and websites are a bit long on Marketing info and at the same time a bit shy on details.

This isn't the first question we've seen here about a Winnebago feature that's mentioned but not detailed anywhere. An example of one was that question about the Lithium Option on Navions, etc.
thank you so much for your detailed response. Very helpful.

Bought a 150w solar panel and a regulator that will be mobile and hooked up directly to the gr 31 battery.

Cant wait to try it out.

Happy camping season!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty222 View Post
Bought a 150w solar panel and a regulator that will be mobile and hooked up directly to the gr 31 battery.
One important thing to know - ZAMP solar connectors use a somewhat unique version of the SAE plug. It is generally accepted practice for the positive wire on an SAE connector to be on the "male" or uncovered connector. But ZAMP and others have reversed that for safety reasons and put the positive wire on the "female" or covered connector.

If you are making up the wires in your panel and charge controller it's easy to get right. If you are buying pre-assembled connectors either make sure they are ZAMP compatible OR if they are not you can get an adapter on Amazon to change the "gender" of the cables to conform with ZAMPs setup.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again. Very helpful. Ended up wiring myself, using 10 gage wire as I wanted about 30 feet. Estimated output of 8 amp/h so basically I hope being self sufficient for many days by using power wisely.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

First, it says there is solar prep on the roof. And second it says it's solar controller prep.

Then I looked at towable Operator's Manuals and see nothing mentioned.

To get the answers you need I'd suggest a call to Winnebago Customer Service. However, I don't know if they are staffed now with the factory closed. I think they are, but you'd have to try to find out.

Perhaps your Operator's Manual is more complete than the generalized ones available online. For sure I would check there first.
Is t there already a device ion board Micro Minnie that prevents overcharging the batteries? Or is the solar hook up just a straight line to the battery?
TerryMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
Site Team

If you asking if the Micro Minnie comes OEM with a solar charge controller the answer would be no.

You need one if you are adding solar panels.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks
TerryMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

i have a 2020 micro minnie and asked about that plug. was told would be about $250 to put one in on the outside of my TT. what size solar panel should i get? do i just plug in to that plug and that is it?? is it better to have it on the roof? if so how do you adjust it from the ground? i am not one to get up on the roof. :-(
giraffenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffenut View Post
i have a 2020 micro minnie and asked about that plug. was told would be about $250 to put one in on the outside of my TT. what size solar panel should i get? do i just plug in to that plug and that is it?? is it better to have it on the roof? if so how do you adjust it from the ground? i am not one to get up on the roof. :-(
I think there's already a plug on the roof of the 2020s, and the idea would be to just have it sit flat up there, affixed to the roof. That's not ideal for creating the most power but it has the advantage of always being setup.

Not sure of the answers to the rest of your questions.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #14
Site Team

Janis,
There is a lot to consider when adding solar. I would not talk to my RV dealer about this. They "generally" know next to nothing but want you to believe they are experts in your RV.

I'd suggest first you start reading info online about RV Solar. There must be hundreds of websites. As with most things YouTube is a vast wealth of info.

To install any amount of solar on your RV you will need.

Solar Panel(s)
A solar charge controller unless you buy a panel with one built in

If you don't want to install on the roof, you would buy a "Solar Suitcase" and many of those come with built in controllers. Then you simply set it outside of your RV on the ground and plug it into the port on the side of the RV.

To install panels on the roof you need to determine if the roof is pre-wired and if it is then where the wires terminate in your rv. probably near the batteries. Then you'd need to buy the panel(s), mounting hardware and a solar charge controller that would be installed in the area where the rooftop wires end near your battery.

There are expensive setups and cheap. The more expensive are "generally" more complete and simple.

Here are some Portable options - the last one is a Zamp kit and it is probably the only one that comes ready to plug into your RV - the others will need plug adapters to do so but that not a big deal:

Lots of support from both the seller eTrailer and the maker GoPower:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Solar-Pa.../34282729.html

Good brand reasonable price:
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-...079JVBVL3?th=1

Most expensive but high quality:
https://www.zampsolar.com/140watt-portable
Old 04-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
<clip>
<clip>
They were responding to email last week.