Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
dick_slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Eagle River, AK
Posts: 12
Battery Disconnect Switch will not disengage

Took our Minnie Winnie MH out on her first trip of the season. When we got back home I went to hit the battery disconnect switch but the light stays on and the batteries do not disconnect. I know the switch was working last year. Could this be an issue when I put the batteries back in after de-winterizing?

Thanks!
dick_slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 481
Do you get the solenoid "clunk" noise when you enable/disable them?
__________________
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
dick_slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Eagle River, AK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Do you get the solenoid "clunk" noise when you enable/disable them?
Yes I can still hear the click in the battery bay when switching from on to off and vice versa but the light still stays lit on the switch and the house lights work even when switched to off.
dick_slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,059
What's the experience level on solenoids? Are you one of the weird sorts that tear things like solenoids down to see what's inside so that you can picture in your mind what is there?
Reason for asking is that it may be that the solenoid is clicking but the actual part that does the connection may stay unmoved! I have seen some solenoid which the internal part comes apart, leaving the center shaft to move and click but the large washer type that makes the connection from input to output comes loose and stays stuck on the connections.
For a first look if it is not too hard to access, I would want to look at that solenoid with a meter to see voltage on both side when connected and then see voltage go away on one side as the connection is supposed to be cut.
It's a spot which gets a pretty good shot of arcing as it makes/breaks the connection.
First thought test?
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 481
Hmmm, something's supplying continuity past/around the solenoid/switch.
Might be worth taking a look at your battery bay area and see if everything's connected as it should be, and nothing is creating an accidental "ground".
Maybe a stripped cable, some other point of contact with the inside of the battery area, metal to metal.
__________________
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
dick_slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Eagle River, AK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
What's the experience level on solenoids? Are you one of the weird sorts that tear things like solenoids down to see what's inside so that you can picture in your mind what is there?
Reason for asking is that it may be that the solenoid is clicking but the actual part that does the connection may stay unmoved! I have seen some solenoid which the internal part comes apart, leaving the center shaft to move and click but the large washer type that makes the connection from input to output comes loose and stays stuck on the connections.
For a first look if it is not too hard to access, I would want to look at that solenoid with a meter to see voltage on both side when connected and then see voltage go away on one side as the connection is supposed to be cut.
It's a spot which gets a pretty good shot of arcing as it makes/breaks the connection.
First thought test?

I've never torn down a solenoid before but I'm fairly decent with electrical work so I might give a crack at that. I'll hit the solenoid with a meter first before tearing things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Hmmm, something's supplying continuity past/around the solenoid/switch.
Might be worth taking a look at your battery bay area and see if everything's connected as it should be, and nothing is creating an accidental "ground".
Maybe a stripped cable, some other point of contact with the inside of the battery area, metal to metal.
I'm thinking it was something when I put my batteries back in after winter. Should I have had the switch in the off rocker position before wiring the batteries back up?
dick_slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 59
Give the solenoid a tap with a rubber mallet.
Iíve had one in the stuck position like that and got it going by doing that, I did end up replacing as it got hot in the stuck position and never worked right after that - this was a battery isolator solenoid.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Bo Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 46
Well, you might think I'm silly. But, do you, by chance, have the coach plugged into shore power? Don't ask me why I think it could be.
__________________
I have no Idea!
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
ronwessrv
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disengage Side View Cameras dkrobath Winnebago Class C Motorhomes 30 03-03-2016 11:49 AM
Chassis battery disconnect switch wagonmaster2 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 7 08-17-2010 10:51 PM
Anyone installed a chassis battery disconnect switch? Catpowered Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 6 02-25-2008 07:02 PM
Battery Disconnect Switch FrontRangeRVer Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 8 08-11-2007 10:13 AM
Installation of a Battery Disconnect Switch SteveG Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 7 07-09-2007 06:53 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×