Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery Disconnect Switch will not disengage

Took our Minnie Winnie MH out on her first trip of the season. When we got back home I went to hit the battery disconnect switch but the light stays on and the batteries do not disconnect. I know the switch was working last year. Could this be an issue when I put the batteries back in after de-winterizing?

Thanks!
dick_slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Do you get the solenoid "clunk" noise when you enable/disable them?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Do you get the solenoid "clunk" noise when you enable/disable them?
Yes I can still hear the click in the battery bay when switching from on to off and vice versa but the light still stays lit on the switch and the house lights work even when switched to off.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

What's the experience level on solenoids? Are you one of the weird sorts that tear things like solenoids down to see what's inside so that you can picture in your mind what is there?
Reason for asking is that it may be that the solenoid is clicking but the actual part that does the connection may stay unmoved! I have seen some solenoid which the internal part comes apart, leaving the center shaft to move and click but the large washer type that makes the connection from input to output comes loose and stays stuck on the connections.
For a first look if it is not too hard to access, I would want to look at that solenoid with a meter to see voltage on both side when connected and then see voltage go away on one side as the connection is supposed to be cut.
It's a spot which gets a pretty good shot of arcing as it makes/breaks the connection.
First thought test?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hmmm, something's supplying continuity past/around the solenoid/switch.
Might be worth taking a look at your battery bay area and see if everything's connected as it should be, and nothing is creating an accidental "ground".
Maybe a stripped cable, some other point of contact with the inside of the battery area, metal to metal.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
What's the experience level on solenoids? Are you one of the weird sorts that tear things like solenoids down to see what's inside so that you can picture in your mind what is there?
Reason for asking is that it may be that the solenoid is clicking but the actual part that does the connection may stay unmoved! I have seen some solenoid which the internal part comes apart, leaving the center shaft to move and click but the large washer type that makes the connection from input to output comes loose and stays stuck on the connections.
For a first look if it is not too hard to access, I would want to look at that solenoid with a meter to see voltage on both side when connected and then see voltage go away on one side as the connection is supposed to be cut.
It's a spot which gets a pretty good shot of arcing as it makes/breaks the connection.
First thought test?

I've never torn down a solenoid before but I'm fairly decent with electrical work so I might give a crack at that. I'll hit the solenoid with a meter first before tearing things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Hmmm, something's supplying continuity past/around the solenoid/switch.
Might be worth taking a look at your battery bay area and see if everything's connected as it should be, and nothing is creating an accidental "ground".
Maybe a stripped cable, some other point of contact with the inside of the battery area, metal to metal.
I'm thinking it was something when I put my batteries back in after winter. Should I have had the switch in the off rocker position before wiring the batteries back up?
Old 05-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Give the solenoid a tap with a rubber mallet.
I’ve had one in the stuck position like that and got it going by doing that, I did end up replacing as it got hot in the stuck position and never worked right after that - this was a battery isolator solenoid.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well, you might think I'm silly. But, do you, by chance, have the coach plugged into shore power? Don't ask me why I think it could be.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
Well, you might think I'm silly. But, do you, by chance, have the coach plugged into shore power? Don't ask me why I think it could be.
Haha! That was my first thing to check! Thankfully I had it disconnected.

After letting my batteries get to full charge the disconnect switch is working properly again. No clue but I guess the issue is resolved......for now
Old 05-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a case of being mislead into thinking the solenoid was working as you heard a click. I'm just guessing but bet there is a second solenoid that you were hearing and thought that click was this solenoid. Sometimes I have to lay a hand on the actual solenoid to feel it click to be sure it's the right solenoid clicking.
Wonderful marvelous machines but way too many ways to fool us!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick_slade View Post
Took our Minnie Winnie MH out on her first trip of the season. When we got back home I went to hit the battery disconnect switch but the light stays on and the batteries do not disconnect. I know the switch was working last year. Could this be an issue when I put the batteries back in after de-winterizing?

Thanks!

I had a similar issue. What some refer to as a solenoid, I believe is a latching relay.
Mine is a Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay 01-00055-000. One of the reasons the relay won't disengage is the battery voltage, must be greater than 10.5 volts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 53-00066-100-1.pdf (206.2 KB, 58 views)
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Great information! interesting that it requires 10.5 volts to operate. I need to locate mine on my Vista so I’ll know where to find it ...just in case it gives me trouble.
SteveBeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch