Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2007, 04:01 AM   #1

I am installing a "Battery Minder" on my two 12 volt coach batteries since I hear the converter/charger is not a good method for charging.

My question is: When I turn off the battery disconnect switch near my steps, will this disconnect the batteries from the converter (and everything else)?

I dont want to have the battery minder charging the batteries in ADDITION to the the converter/charger.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:01 AM   #2

I am installing a "Battery Minder" on my two 12 volt coach batteries since I hear the converter/charger is not a good method for charging.

My question is: When I turn off the battery disconnect switch near my steps, will this disconnect the batteries from the converter (and everything else)?

I dont want to have the battery minder charging the batteries in ADDITION to the the converter/charger.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mark, I do not know how your battery disconnect is wired, but it does not matter with a "BATTERY MINDER" as they are self regulating and will not overcharge your batteries. Your converter may overcharge your batteries, but you may have a "OFF/ON" switch on your converter. For long term storage you may want to turn off the converter (if you can) and run only the "BATTERY MINDER". Be sure you check the battery water because it is critical to keeping your batteries charged - but you know that!

Good luck - Glenn
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm not quite sure why you are installing your BatteryMinder on your coach batteries. The converter is a quality 3 stage unit that won't overcharge them. On my 2003 Suncruiser I left it plugged in 24/7 and never used any measureable amounts of water and the batteries were kept in good shape.

I did install a BatteryMinder on my chassis batteries though because they are not charged by the converter and after sitting for a month over winter they'd be pretty flat until I installed the BatteryMinder.

The only reason I could see putting the BatteryMinder on the coach batteries would be to help keep them desulfated by utilizing the pulse charge technology of the BatteryMinder. However, the two chargers aren't going to work that well together so you would need to separate them. Frankly, I'd just use the converter as is and then run it in equalize mode once a year to desulfate the coach batteries. In order for the BatteryMinder to do it's job you'd need it on fairly frequently and that would be a real pain.

As to your disconnect switch - it depends. When you throw the disconnect you disconnect the house loads from the batteries. The invcerter/charge or converter may or may not be wired after the disconnect solenoid. It varies from year to year and model to model. The best bet is to switch off the solenoid and leave the converter on and plugged in. Then see if you house lights still work. If they do, then your converter is connected on the output side of the disconnect solenoid and will not charge your batteries. If the lights won't go on, then the converter is connected to the battery side of the solenoid and will charge your batteries but won't power the house lights, etc.

One other note regarding the BatteryMinder:

If you have the unit permanently installed and you are boondocking or parked without shore power, the 12 volt leads are still connected to the battery and will drain current from the battery. Whenever parked for extended time periods without power, be sure to disconnect the 12 volt leads from the BatteryMinder. I actually installed a relay to mine (chassis batteries - not house batteries) so that it will automatically disconnect.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
I'm not quite sure why you are installing your BatteryMinder on your coach batteries. The converter is a quality 3 stage unit that won't overcharge them.

I dont think my 45 amp parrallex/magnatec is a quality 3 stage charger.

The only reason I could see putting the BatteryMinder on the coach batteries would be to help keep them desulfated by utilizing the pulse charge technology of the BatteryMinder. However, the two chargers aren't going to work that well together so you would need to separate them.

I guess that is my question....Does the battery disconnect switch seperate them?

Frankly, I'd just use the converter as is and then run it in equalize mode once a year to desulfate the coach batteries.

My converter doesnt have an equalize mode

In order for the BatteryMinder to do it's job you'd need it on fairly frequently and that would be a real pain.

As to your disconnect switch - it depends. When you throw the disconnect you disconnect the house loads from the batteries. The invcerter/charge or converter may or may not be wired after the disconnect solenoid. It varies from year to year and model to model. The best bet is to switch off the solenoid

the disconnect switch?

and leave the converter on and plugged in. Then see if you house lights still work. If they do, then your converter is connected on the output side of the disconnect solenoid and will not charge your batteries. If the lights won't go on, then the converter is connected to the battery side of the solenoid and will charge your batteries but won't power the house lights, etc.

One other note regarding the BatteryMinder:

If you have the unit permanently installed and you are boondocking or parked without shore power, the 12 volt leads are still connected to the battery and will drain current from the battery. Whenever parked for extended time periods without power, be sure to disconnect the 12 volt leads from the BatteryMinder. I actually installed a relay to mine (chassis batteries - not house batteries) so that it will automatically disconnect.

Thanks for the heads up

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #6

Anyone else have suggestions?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #7

Cruzer, I just ordered a "quality 3 stage" converter/charging unit from Ebay to replace the lousy single charging stage Parallax 7445 converter that came with my unit. I am getting the (much approved and complimented) Inteli-Power PD9245 Converter with a 3 stage Charge Wizard built in......

Now I wont have to worry about over or undercharging my batteries and I can leave my motorhome hooked up to shore power year 'round.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

After the third set of (2) house batts, I gave up on the standard Parallax (Magnatek) converter. The fan was always running and I was forever adding water. I put in a Progressive Dynamics PD9245C converter, with a Remote Pendant that annunciates (green lite) what it's doing (Bulk, Normal or Float charge). It also desulfates automatically.

Have not added water since it was installed (w/two new 6V Exide house batts) in Jan 07. If I had it to do over again, I'd go back to two 12V deep cycle batts, because only two 6 Volters don't have enough poop. I do very little dry camping.

I also have the Battery Minder on my chassis battery. Works great. But IMHO putting it on the house batts is not the way to go. And there is no desulfation mode with the Parallax/Magnatek converter.

An additional note: when/if I get another rig, ALL (ALL) house & chassis batts will be replaced w/new ones (NO MATTER how new the originals are), as I watch the installation. A condition of sale!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
After the third set of (2) house batts, I gave up on the standard Parallax (Magnatek) converter. The fan was always running and I was forever adding water. I put in a Progressive Dynamics PD9245C converter, with a Remote Pendant that annunciates (green lite) what it's doing (Bulk, Normal or Float charge). It also desulfates automatically.

Have not added water since it was installed (w/two new 6V Exide house batts) in Jan 07. If I had it to do over again, I'd go back to two 12V deep cycle batts, because only two 6 Volters don't have enough poop. I do very little dry camping.

I also have the Battery Minder on my chassis battery. Works great. But IMHO putting it on the house batts is not the way to go. And there is no desulfation mode with the Parallax/Magnatek converter.

An additional note: when/if I get another rig, ALL (ALL) house & chassis batts will be replaced w/new ones (NO MATTER how new the originals are), as I watch the installation. A condition of sale!

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your post echos all the others about the Progressive Dynamics converters with the Charge Wizards.....thats why I'm ditching my old Parallax for it!!!!

Thanks for the reply