Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2022 Micro Minnie Flex lithium batteries not charging on shore power.

Good afternoon I am looking for some advice I picked up a micro Minnie flex and when plug it into shore power (home outlet) to charge the lithium batteries it throws a breaker, I tried charging the batteries using a 2000 watt Honda generator it shows charging for about 30 secs then cuts out and stop’s charging. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Frankstery2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We don't getthe gooddrawingsand info on trailersas we do on motorhomesbut thereareseveral things that do work the same, just that we can't look at reliable drawings to see what to expect.
But there are standard ways towork the problem that fits all things. We need to sort it down into pieces that we can manage!

I would work it this way. First clear up one part ata time as it appearssomething is drawing way too much current and if I read correctly, it trips the breaker on the house or on the generator? That can be any number of things from as small the cord plug being bad to the batteries being a fault.

First find the main breaker in the RVand turn it all the breakers there off. Plug in the cord to prove the problem is not in the cord.

Move back to the breakers and turn on the main breaker and see if it all holds okay. If you can ID the one which powers the converter/charger for the batteries, leave that one off, but turn on some of the others. Good one to try is the microwave and see if it lights and works as it should. If you get those smaller 110AC ones on and all seems okay, try
turning them off and then try the converter breaker.

The idea is that you have two sets of breakers and wiring. One set for the 110AC items like air conditioner, microwave and the charger/converter system.
The second set is the part of the converter which charges the batteries and the wiring, switches,etc for the 12VDC things like fans, lights, and controls on frig and furnace.

By testing each part, starting with the basic items one at a time, you can spot when it goes bad, better than trying to figure the whole confusing bundle. It may be something as simple as a bare wire touching somewhere or it could be just too much load when all combined. That means you have to be ready to back up and try figuring out which isthe problem if you are adding and suddenly the breaker trips.

One of the more common problems may be that we have the air conditioner running because the RV is hot and then when the converter finds the batteries are really low, it may start pulling lots more power and the combo can be enough to trip the breaker!

Slow and steady to divide and conquer!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I will start from square one and see what I can figure out, worse case to the dealer it is as it’s only 1 week old.
Frankstery2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankstery2k View Post
Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I will start from square one and see what I can figure out, worse case to the dealer it is as it’s only 1 week old.
Yes, that can be a winner but that can mean weeks or months if what I'm reading on other posts is correct!

The world's in a mess and it is going to take years to work out! Half the guys I knew just got tired and hung it up.

Or they were like my son and got Covid Feb 2020 and has never recovered! They now call it cronic fatique syndrome but whatever the name, he can't walk to the mailbox without resting so work and normal life is just gone.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

searching to ask my own questions and came upon this link, its old but since I didn`t see any answer that others may have had same question. same happened to me. finally went to the xantrax control app[if you have the FLX package]. dialed down the charge voltage to 15 amps. now you can charge with the 2000 watt gen and the house. had to adjust to 30 amp for my bigger generator use. while plugged into shore power I saw initial charge rates as high as 60 amps then slowly came down. thats maybe why your breaker and overload on generator are probably tripping.
Paulmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You’re flipping breakers because you’re asking for more than 15 amps from your outlet. Similarly, your Honda can only output a max of 15 amps. If you have a Xantrex XC2000 it can charge up to a max of 80amps dc. If you have an XC3000, I believe it can charge up to 100amps dc. So, if your Xantrex is programmed for 80-100amps charge amperage, that’s 7-9 amps (including conversion losses) that the Xantrex is drawing from the SP circuit just for battery charging. To trip a 15amp breaker, you’re probably running one or more ac appliances that need 7amps or more. Either A/C or microwave, will trip the breaker while charging at high amperage when you’re only getting 15amps through the SP circuit. If you’re needing to use a high amperage appliance, enter the Xantrex app and reduce charge amperage to 20amps or less, or turn it off.

Tags
batteries, charging, power, shore power