Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

House batteries not charging from shore power.

Hello all, I have a 1995 Winnebago Brave. I have read several posts and threads regarding this question-Google searches. They are all pretty old posts. I've read through a bunch here. There are so many and after 4 pages of threads, I can't find exactly what I want. My house batteries are not charging when plugged into shore power, down to 3.5v or so. ? I already put in a new solenoid. Charges when the engine is running. Immediately after running the engine for just a min or so, the volt is over 13v. An hour later, back to 3v. Any ideas? Am I grounding out somewhere and bleeding the batteries? Broken wire? Is there another solenoid, relay, or fuse that I need to look at? Seems so fast to me. It is plugged into shore power. I'll check the voltage in the morning and delete this if all is well. Help! Thanks, Dave.
dsoren00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am not all that familiar with your year/model of Winne. Can I assume it's a gas coach? If so, you should have a "Converter" in that coach that for the most part, *should* charge the house batteries, as well as provide 12VDC power to the rest of the coach while parked. You need to see if you have one, if it's working, if there's not a fuse or circuit breaker some place that's malfunctioning, and that any and all wiring concerning that entire system, is clean and connections are tight. In short, you need to learn just what's involved in shore power charging of your house batteries, BEFORE you can analyze any problems with that system. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bad batteries and only reading surface charge. Voltage readings are only relevant after the battery charge has been removed a few hours. Not possible for batteries of this type to hold more than 12.8 or so meaning that you are just seeing what the charge system has put in, not the true condition.
Recommend load testing all the batteries in that string.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries, power, shore power