Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2008 Outlook - Upgrade 12V Main Feeds

Hello -

The main 12V feed in the Outlook runs from the batteries to a breaker panel (located in the right front compartment) and back to the 12V distribution panel in the house. The breaker panel contains the battery disconnect switch and the main line is fused with a 40A breaker.

I installed a new converter/charger with up to 45A of charging current and I want to install an inverter (1200W).

I could go three ways from here: (a) Simply replace the 40A breaker with a 100A (bad choice), (b) completely re-wire the main feeds with higher load cables and then replace the breaker with 100A, or (c) go direct from the batteries to the converter/charger and DC distribution panel with the added benefit that this is just a very short cable run.

My question is as follows: If I go the (c) route, can I still connect the lead coming from the battery isolator to the battery so that the batteries will be charged when the engine is running? This would mean that under certain conditions (engine running while on shore power) all DC power sources (alternator, charger) would be connected at the same time. Not sure if this is ok .. ?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Michaela
mischmerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade