Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The solar panel on my ITASCA is there to aid the Chassis battery combat residual loads when the coach is parked.
True or False.
I would sure appreciate a pointer to the correct electrical circuit schematic to verify the answer. Thanking you!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The solar panel on my ITASCA is there to aid the Chassis battery combat residual loads when the coach is parked.
True or False.
I would sure appreciate a pointer to the correct electrical circuit schematic to verify the answer. Thanking you!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Paul,

On my coach it is the otherway around. The solar panel powers the house batteries. I have the ability to measure amps being drawn from the batteries and even with full sunlight and everything powered down hte solar panel onlyy makes up for about half the residual load. I still loose about 4/10 of an amp, which empties my house batteries in about 2 weeks
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Very interesting. But, if the master coach battery switch is in the "off" position, do the batteries still receive a trickle charge from the solar panel??
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Very interesting. But, if the master coach battery switch is in the "off" position, do the batteries still receive a trickle charge from the solar panel?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul,

Yes the batteries still receive a charge with the battery disconnect engaged (Off). The solar panel is connected directly to the batteries bypassing the disconnect relay.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The solar panel powers the house batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is what the Winnebago wiring diagrams indicate for my coach ...solar panel is wired to the coach (house) batteries. The solar oriented folks I have discussed it with agree it is too small to be of any real value.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Agreed! Even with the 15W solar panel, and with the coach main contactor "OFF", the chassis main swx "ON", the panel can still only hold the batteries for somewhere around 2.5-3 weeks. Trying to offset the natural discharge of 5 batteries, along with keeping the C-7 & Allison memory alive is more than the panel can sustain.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

On my 07 sunrise the solar panel seems to hold the house batteries for several weeks as long as the AUX battery switch is off. I looked at the wiring diagram on the winnebago site and the solar panel feeds the house batteries thru a CP (6 AMP )labeled Solar Panel whether the AUX swicth is on or off.

2007 Sunrise 35L
TB-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Depends on the size of your solar panel if you have a panel about 15" sq like mine it is for the chassis battery. I also have a red Led indicator on dash to show its working. I have never had a dead chassis battery with this set up on four coachs one a Fleetwood coach.
Most Winnebago RVers have had a Trik-L-Start installed to maintain there chassis battery.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #10

PaulT, your Suncruiser 15 watt solar panel will trickle charge your house batteries and not your chassis battery.

We use a Battery Tender for our chassis battery, although I might change that out with the Trickle Start now that I have a better converter.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote